“Not your grandmother's soap....(or is it?)”

Summer House Natural Soaps
Ranked #3 of 5 Shopping in Barnstable
More attraction details
Owner description: Summer House Natural Soaps of Cape Cod is an artisanal soapworks and outlet store in Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod. We make natural soaps and bodycare products inspired by the sea, sand, and skies of the Cape and Islands. Learn about the art and science of soap at a soap making demonstration every Friday at 10:30 from Memorial Day through Columbus Day. The demo takes about 25 minutes and ends in time for the brewery tour at Cape Cod Beer next door.
Reviewed 13 May 2016

We have been buying this soap for several years since discovering it at the Orleans Farmers' Market. Most homemade soaps have a certain appeal, but this is so far beyond the norm it's almost indescribable! We kept buying at the market, but then ventured to the store in Barnstable. It's filled with all sorts of other intriguing products, scarves, scents, candles, gift sets. But it's all about the SOAP. This soap has aromatic qualities that defy the imagination. Most soaps after multiple uses are lifeless, dried out and barely sudsy. We use these bars almost down to 'the last drop' and combine them to invent new flavors! The suds are amazing, thick and creamy, like no other soap I've ever used, homemade or commercial. The scents are spot-on, if it says hydrangea, that's what you see with your eyes closed when breathing it in. It changes your whole attitude in the morning, nearly a religious experience at times. But it's the Dune Shack that will get you! (At least it does me...) This earthy, musky scent makes you feel as if you're in the outer Cape dunes and have the time worn cottage all to yourself. You imagine yourself a writer, pounding on an old Remington with the sound of distant surf for punctuation.

I left a bar of Dune Shack in our shower over the winter. When I opened the back door to our cottage in early April, I noticed a tantalizing scent.....what could it have been? It was the bar of soap from Summerhouse - and all the memories of six summer decades on Cape Cod came flooding back, this from a small, seemingly insignificant bar of soap.

Try this soap, almost any scent will rock your morning.

2  Thank rirob
Ann M, Owner at Summer House Natural Soaps, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2016

Thank you, rirob! Dune Shack is a personal favorite of mine too. It reminds me of my week last August in Fowler dune shack on the National Sea Shore. Woody, smoky, delicious!

Reviewed 28 October 2015

There was a lot of offerings that I hadn't seen online and I was happy to be able to stop in and see the place where 100% of my soap comes from - they ship it to me. I know they have soap making demos in the summer but we missed that, coming later in the Fall.

Reviewed 1 August 2015

Small and tucked away right next door to the Cape Cod Beer facility, Summer House is absolutely worth your time. I adore artisan soaps and these are great quality. Very true to life scents that manage to stay on the skin without being over powering are a pleasure to bathe with. Very sensitive skin friendly. The lilac and daffodil scents are favorites in this house but they offer great selections that change with the seasons. I was pleased to find out that they also ship off cape and you can order online in addition to buying directly from the quaint storefront property. Their packaging is very appealing and they put together great little gift baskets. We use them as end of year gifts for teachers. I also highly recommend the soap that they offer for dogs, it seems to be a real blessing for pooches that suffer from dry skin.

1  Thank Maggiesbj
Reviewed 28 June 2015

We discovered this soap maker a few years ago during a visit to the Cape Cod brewing outlet next door. We have a dislike for harsh, commercial soaps, and once we tried the Summer House soaps, we were hooked.
The bars, and there are many different ones to choose from, last a long time in the shower. If you want to sample the different fragrances, all of which are naturally-derived, grab a package of their smaller remnants, a great value. The last time we were there, I bought their foaming castile hand soap for the first time, and we love that, too.
And yes, I do realize that soap is a simple thing, but I believe that even taking a shower should be a pleasant experience.
They also make a terrific soap for dogs!

1  Thank genevaRhodeIsland