“Nice Ride Through the Woods”

Emerald Hollow Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Family owned and operated stable offering riding lessons for all ages and boarding for our students.
Reviewed September 30, 2015

I hadn't ridden in about 10 years, and my sister in 4 times that..... but on our annual sojourn to Provincetown, we wanted to do something new ! Horseback riding it was ! This was the closest outfit we could find to Ptown. It turns out the horses seem happy and they are well cared for. That was first, and foremost to me. We had 4 persons, plus our guide, "Jay" in our group. The horses are mellow and used to people and commands. Actually, most of the time they were on auto pilot, which was good- because I wasn't all that confident in what I was doing. These animals are huge ! Jay described them affectionately as akin to being like really big dogs in terms of their personalities and desires. OK, I would agree. I had "Cody" and my sister had the smaller, older "Geyser" though I liked to refer to him as "Geiser." They knew the routine and were well-behaved.

We traipsed through the woods, wearing down some fresher paths, to do our duty helping to carve the woods' trails...... instruction was given beforehand by Jay, and we all had to wear helmets. You sign a waiver form but its clear that safety is important to the staff in spite of the formalities. You mount your horse from a platform. You cannot weigh over 200 lbs. You have to like horses..... and animals, in general- which, "duh" - goes without saying. The trails are mostly easy, with a few small inclines and declines. The cost is $75.00 per person, and you get about an hour on the trails on the farm's private property in East Brewster for that amount. Cash or check only. The owner (I think) "Nancy" called me after I reserved the ride online. She was pleasant and making the connection turned out to be easy, though initially I wasn't sure. Don't expect a call back on Sunday. That is- deservedly, their day off, it seems. But she will get to you.

This experience is a bit expensive I think.... as just a few years ago it was still $50.00 pp. Nevertheless.... DO IT ! I probably won't go back to do this again, because I got my western riding fix, and I think it has a long shelf life for me. But its a fun experience- the people and the horses are nice- and you can be a klutz and still get by ......

DO IT ! The horses are cool and we had a perfect 73 degrees weather day.... it doesn't get much better than that ! I love Cape Cod !

Date of experience: September 2015

Reviewed August 10, 2015

Actually, we didn't get to go riding. But there was a good reason. We had a reservation to ride one morning, but alas, the owner called to say that one of their beloved horses had died overnight, and there were too many things she and her family and staff had to deal with. She offered us several other times that unfortunately for us did not work out. But if our experience speaking to her is any indication, the staff at Emerald Farms will do anything to help make your ride wonderful.

Date of experience: August 2015
Reviewed July 23, 2015

Our party of 4 adults and 1 child (11yo) had a wonderful experience at this friendly, clean family farm. The reservation was easy and the owner called me to confirm. Three of us were first time riders. The staff there were so friendly and patient with us. They matched us all up to the right horses. The horses were clean and well trained. We felt very safe. We rode for a good hour which was perfect. I loved the Iocation in Brewster because with a 11am ride we had time to spend the afternoon at the beach. We live about 1hr and 40 mins away but it was definitely worth trip and would definitely do again. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for horseback riding or just something fun to do.

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank Cindy V
Reviewed May 18, 2015 via mobile

There are two barns you want to drive all the way down the end. Folks at the first barn are really nice, they welcome you and direct you.

Nancy keeps all communications with you after your reservation and she is easy to reach in case you have any questions in between. She wants you to have the best experience and makes you feel comfortable in her place and most importantly with the animals. -she trusts them and helps you to trust them as well!

We went on Mother's Day Sunday. She obv had plans so her son, Jay took us out! Before we went out we filled out forms (read it thru) and got our helmets. Jay was awesome! He chose the best horse from me and I was happy and comfortable. I love horses and I have always wanted to ride but I realized that I also had a fear of falling and being trampled on (think everyone does). But when you have a horse that is trained and will suit your level its all good!

The weather was perfect! Jay took us on the conservation land which was well kept. The trail wasnt a straight path, we went up hill and down hill; Jay walked you thru the whole thing! It was amazing! He checks on you the whole time to make sure you are on your saddle and properly guiding the horse. We talked the whole time it was great! I loved riding and will def ride again!

3  Thank Veronica B
See more reviews
Reviewed May 14, 2015

We went here as a group of four and none of us had been on a horse since we were kids. I can't think a better first experience. Booking was easy. The horses were very well trained and required only a small amount of guidance. The farm had everything setup for us, including a small platform to make it easier to mount and dismount. Our guide was friendly and clearly knew what he was doing. A very pleasant surprise for me was the trail - it had some pretty steep hills and sharp turns, and really wound around the forest and along a pond. Had it been summertime, I think it would have been rather densely wooded in parts. As a complete novice to this, I really liked going through some interesting terrain. As their website clearly states (and we knew when we booked) - this is not a beach ride. The ride was probably a little over an hour, which was just right for everyone. We had a wonderful time and I would recommend this to others who are visiting the Cape.

Date of experience: May 2015