“A lot of fun in a pretty setting”

Zoar Outdoor/Deerfield Valley Canopy Tours
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Charlemont
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1989, Zoar Outdoor has offered the best in New England white water rafting trips, zip line canopy tours, kayaking clinics, canoeing instruction, rock climbing classes and bike rentals for adventurers of all abilities, from beginners to experts. Based out of our convenient location in the Berkshires in western Massachusetts, Zoar Outdoor river trips, canopy tours and instructional clinics are only 2 hours from Boston and New Haven and just 3 hours from Providence and New York City.
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A lot of fun in a pretty setting”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

It's good to know this is a zip line tour. So not just one long zip line but a series of them in varying lengths. You also get a snack! After having to reschedule after a very freak snowstorm, the day we went was warm and sunny. The guides were great and informative. The trees were even informative with little cards stating the species and uses. We were a group of four that was just perfect as no one had to wait a really long time for a turn. The scheduled times were also spaced out enough so we didn't have to wait for the group in front of us to finish. Definitely a fun way to spend an autumn Sunday.

Visited November 2011
5 Thank citymouse7

Hartford, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Scared of Heights and STILL Did It!”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

This was my first time going on a zip line and believe it or not I am terrified of heights. The instructors/guides taught me everything I needed to know; were extremely knowledgable; funny and very personable. I felt entirely safe with them and all the gear I was wearing and couldn't stop laughing with all the comments being tossed out all day. It was like zip lining with extended family.

I felt secure with the gear they were using; I even leaned way out (trusting my harness completely) over the edge of one of the tree stands to get a great picture. The guides were very funny; always attentive to our safety; yet managed to make our adventure one I will never forget. It was thrilling and I was so proud of myself for doing it because I'm so afraid of heights.

I have looked at other zip line places and none of them seem to have the same emphasis on safety as Zoar Outdoor does. The others don't always allow you to control your own landing and speed either. Zoar guides teach you to slow yourself (using gloves) in preparation for landing at the tree stand as well as how to tuck your body to get maximum speed out of the zip. I appreciate that knowledge and the confidence I gained bu putting me in control of my own fun.

The guides are also trained in CPR and zip line rescue. Even if you just freeze in the middle of a zip and are left hanging there terrified, they have the training to get you down safely and the means to get you back to base pronto.
I will be going back again to Zoar Outdoor for the zip line ride but I'm also going to try the white water rafting next time too! They offer much more than just the zip line. See their website for more information on what they offer.

Happy Zipping!!

Visited November 2010
5 Thank ELockwood
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Zippity DoooDah!!!! What fun!”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We had a fantastic time flying through the trees with Zoar Outdoor. Our guides were extremely capable, professional, welcoming, reassuring, and FUN! I loved every minute of our tour - 11 zips, 2 sky bridges, and 3 repels. Never thought I would repel from anything let alone a huge tree! I highly recommend Zoar Ourdoor zipline to everyone.

2 Thank MCWtravels
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Flying through the air with the greatest of ease!!!”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We took a zipline canopy tour with this company on October 6th - FANTASTIC! The guides were great and we had 3 other couples in our group. They made this experience very memorable. I was a bit worried at first but the way it was handled was completely professional with humor thrown in. Awesome and would do it again in a heartbeat!

1 Thank CrissyKal
McCarthy, Alaska
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Super fun with excellent guides”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We had a great time on the Deerfield Valley Canopy Tour this weekend! Our guides Shahid and Joan were fun, professional, safety-conscious and a general pleasure to be with. Highly recommended!