“Fabulous folks in a beautiful place”

Zoar Outdoor/Deerfield Valley Canopy Tours
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Charlemont
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1989, Zoar Outdoor has offered the best in New England white water rafting trips, zip line canopy tours, kayaking clinics, canoeing instruction, rock climbing classes and bike rentals for adventurers of all abilities, from beginners to experts. Based out of our convenient location in the Berkshires in western Massachusetts, Zoar Outdoor river trips, canopy tours and instructional clinics are only 2 hours from Boston and New Haven and just 3 hours from Providence and New York City.
McCarthy, Alaska
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Fabulous folks in a beautiful place”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Everyone I have met at Zoar Outdoor is friendly, professional and loves what they do. And there's nothing like the Deerfield River in the fall!

New Hampshire
“Pure Bliss”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I took my father and brother for father's day 2009, all I can say is WOW. Then I brought my best friend for a wedding gift from me to her and she had a blast! I wish I have there job, I would be in total heaven. The best thing about this is anyone who has any upperbody strength can do this. I will be doing this again in 2010!!

Buena Vista, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“High Class Operation!”
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I own a whitewater rafting company in Colorado and know what to look for in an outfitter. I visited Zoar Outdoor after taking a good look at their website, www.zoaroutdoor.com. My reservation was handled professionally and my many questions were answered clearly. Having suffered through re- training raft guides that have come to my company from other companies, I was pleased with the skill and personable nature of all the guides on our trip on Zoar Gap. Many good trips have been ruined by bad guides and Zoar has made sure theirs are the best! I quickly relaxed and was able to enjoy world class whitewater knowing my guide had it under control...and it was fun to be with with him socially too.

Zoar's facility is in a beautiful spot and their facilities are clean and comfortably arranged. On-site lodging and camping are excellent. Their food is great with lots of home-made extras.

I don't give out compliments easily and have very high expectations, but can easily say their facility is tops among the 10 or 15 companies I have visited on the east coast. When safety and my valuable vacation time are at risk, I want to visit a place like Zoar and the Derfield River. Good job!

PS... I heard from a friend that they have a really great canopy tour on zip lines now and I will come back and check it out the next time I visit.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a great day!”
Reviewed 5 April 2009

This was our first whitewater rafting experience and we can't wait to go back. It was a cold rainy day but this didn't deter from a wonderful experience. The raft guides were incredibly fun and friendly and for those that came unprepared, some guides even offered up additional clothing. We are very fit (both in our late forties) and expected it to be a hard workout, but we realized quickly that this trip required minimal exertion and there were frequent breaks in paddling. The lunch stop was terrific, with surprisingly excellent hot and cold food. There were only two of us, but we found quick commaraderie with our 4 other raft mates and laughed throughout the entire trip. The Zoar experience from beginning to end was well coordinated with communcation at all times of how the day would progress. The changing rooms were exceptionally clean and provided showers as needed. Photos were taken by Zoar on the Class IV rapids and not only was the slide show fun, but where was no sales pitch by the team leader. It was like watching a slide show of your vacation with family. What a wonderful day! Keep up the great job Zoar!

1 Thank Carol B
Connecticut Yankee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fantastic Day!”
Reviewed 5 October 2008

We went white water rafting as a group of 9, (2 boats), ages 25 to 65 on October 5th and enjoyed a great outdoor experience. All the staff was professional, prompt, capable.

Our guide, Luke, was a standout; obviously loved his job and loved sharing his expertise with everyone in our raft. Safety was always stressed here and all of us felt secure in the guides' knowledge and sure that we were able to handle routine challenges after receiving clear instructions from the guides. Wetsuits and water "booties" are available for rent. Bring a change of clothes with you for the end of the day: You will get wet!

Our cold lunch was delicious and was supplemented with hot pumpkin soup and hot cider. Truly, this was the most fun day and we're planning to tackle a more challenging run in late spring.

Zoar Outdoor deserves all the accolades they've been receiving here. To show our appreciation we tipped our guides at the end of the run, about 10% of the cost of the trip. There was absolutely no hinting or asking or suggesting tips by Anyone at Zoar. They were consistently professional.

2 Thank fussyguest