Reading the other reviews, I'm really surprised we're talking about the same place.
We travelled from New York and had wanted to book one night at first and if we liked it, then book another 4 nights. Judy on reception advised us to book the 5 nights up front as she said the Cod was very busy & we would have difficulty finding anywhere else. She did say she didnt want to pressure us but on our journey, we were worried we would end up with no other accomodation for the rest of our stay. So based on this & the Trip Advisor ratings, we booked 5 nights up front. We asked about their cancellation policy in case we changed our mind, but they said that bookings were non refundable. So we took a chance.
As we were going to arrive at 9.30pm, they advised us to eat on the way. However circumstances meant that we couldn't so we hoped they would be able to make some snacks when we arrived. It wasn't that sort of hotel....they only served breakfast and no evening meals/snacks. There was no bar. It was more of a motel. Johnny on reception said Chatham was a quiet place with no nightlife and everything shut by 10pm generally. He rang 3 places in the centre to see if they were still serving food but they weren't - this was at 9.45pm in the height of the season! The hotel is 5 minute drive from the town centre & fortunately we found a takeaway pizza parlour which was still serving food.
On a positive note, the staff were helpful, very accommodating and willing to sort out any problems. Their resident dog Bear was an absolutely gorgeous and we all wanted to take him home with us. The landscaped grounds were very well kept too.
On a negative note, the rooms were very dated and although they looked clean at first glance, they were dirty in places. Wallpaper was coming off the walls, paintwork was patchy, and they were in need of updating. There were no tea/coffee facilities in the room and no safe.
We had 2 teenagers on 2 rollouts in our room....the mattresses on the rollouts were plastic and when the kids moved in them, they were noisy and creaky. The first night, our son hardly slept it was so uncomfortable and lumpy. We told the owner, who was very helpful & he provided us with 2 different rollouts with firmer mattresses. However they were still plastic covered so it didnt help the noise problem. But the kids said they were more comfortable.
We also were unfortunately next door to some college kids who were there for a wedding. The walls are very very thin and for 3 nights from 3 - 5 am they were raucous. Thudding, shouting and very drunk....we hardly slept. We did think of ringing reception but I was worried they would hear us complaining on the phone, as the walls were that thin! Other people complained about them to the staff.
The sink was also blocked, but sometimes you don't want to complain so we didnt. In all fairness to the staff, if we had, they would have sorted it out.
The breakfast service was slow, but the food was good.
I told my partner I wanted us to leave, but because we had booked up front and it was non refundable it wasnt an option.
I think the hotel is so important for how you enjoy the holiday - personal view. For me, it spoiled my experience of Cape Cod and I wont be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pleasant Bay Village is a unique and beautiful hotel/resort offering luxurious accommodations including rooms, efficiencies, and suites; located on 6-acres of exotic rock gardens and waterfalls in Chatham, just a short drive into town and seconds from Pleasant Bay beach. Enjoy a gourmet breakfast in our dining room or relax by our outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi. All rooms are decorated with original art from local artists, are non-smoking and have free wireless internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Pleasant Bay Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pleasant Bay Village Chatham, MA - Cape Cod
- Pleasant Bay Village Hotel Chatham