“Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went for dinner. Cute local restaurant. Very intimate setting. The service was excellent. My dinner was just ok. Very expensive for what I ordered. I would recommend trying it.

Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in on a very busy Saturday evening. The recent expansion did add more tables, but the flow was a bit odd. There is no place to wait for your table. But the excellent food more than offset the wait and the noise.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

I've long had a #1 go to restaurant for special occasions that my wife and I would go to in Gloucester. 9 Elm has now surpassed that as my new #1 after dining there last night.

I had not eaten here in years (no particular reason), well before their recent expansion. I was glad they took over the next door space.

The food and service was exceptional. Co-owner Jean Sanidas greeted us with a huge smile and directed us immediately to our table. Server Danielle was soon there to take our drink order and answer our menu questions.

We started with the mussels, which were abundant and came with a rich flavorful broth worth asking for more more bread for. That followed by a shared roasted golden beet salad with goat cheese and candied walnuts. Both dishes were outstanding.

My wife ordered the swordfish special, an ample piece of fish perfectly prepared. I had the cider brined double pork chop with Chipotle Sweet Potatoes and a Rosemary-Cider Reduction. Fantastic!

An example of their commitment to customer service - My pork chop was slightly more well than the medium-rare that I ordered. We just gave them the feedback so the kitchen would know, without any expectation of sending it back or of compensation. The dish was still delicious and I made that very clear. Jean soon came by to apologize, which I respected. I assured her it was fine. They comped our salad as a way of saying sorry. It was totally not necessary but I appreciate the effort of 9 Elm to acknowledge when something was not quite what the customer expected.

It was a wonderful evening, highlighted by some of the best food we have had locally and the exceptional service. We will be back - hopefully many more times.

Reviewed July 10, 2018

Dined on a Friday evening and had the Swordfish special that night. One of the best pieces of swordfish I've ever had. Cooked perfectly on a bed of risotto!

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Great friendly experience from walking in the door thru desert. Very attentive service, well detailed delicious offerings. I always get the seafood and never disappointed, always fresh and cooked to perfection. My wife is more of a meat person but we have this habit or sharing, which this place encouraged us. Can't afford to go back every weekend but certainly a pleasant treat when we can go. Make reservations, this place is usually very full.