All reviewslarge picturestep back in timescreen doorshort walk to the beachnauset beachcape codmotellawnwifitvworndryerlocationfridgeorleansaccommodations
Reviewed January 29, 2016

My family had a house in Chatham, MA, for over 25 years and I often went to Nauset Beach to swim, four wheel down Nauset, etc. I remember as a kid often passing the sign for Nauset Knoll Motor Lodge, the last address on the street before entering the parking lot area of Nauset, Beach, but didn't think much of it.

Years later, on a whim, I booked a room there. First off, this is a government run hotel & I am happy to say that it is run very well. There are a bunch of small detached cottages grouped around a large circular lawn overlooking the elemental blue Atlantic Ocean. The rooms are spartan but very clean - clean sheets, clean blankets, clean bathrooms. But it's the sea, not the rooms, that is the main attraction.

I've stayed there twice - True I was there in the off season, but each time I was amazed at how private the cottages were, how quiet & restful. The cottages are on a bluff above the sea and the most disturbance you will have is the caretaker mowing the lawn on his tractor - but he only does it for a bit & then knocks off.

There is a nice constant breeze that flows over the site &I flew a kite there for hours.

At cocktail time, some people come out with a wine bottle or beers and sit at their tables beside their cottages and watch the sea, but that is about all you will see or hear - besides of course the lively sound of the waves & the wind!

Room Tip: Incredible Views of the Ocean; solitude @ night
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank BlueFrogHops
Reviewed January 22, 2016

We are mixed on this place. On one hand, we liked the location. Don't think you will have an ocean view, the drifts on the beach are too high to see the water over but you can kind of hear it and you can certainly easily walk. The room itself is spacious which was nice and we liked the location overall-- Orleans is a good base. However, the room needs updating-- I don't mean modernized, just basic replacement of things that are worn out. It also could use a good cleaning. It felt like that hadn't been done in awhile and our allergies picked up. We didn't expect this to be a modern and updated and we do enjoy the vintage/retro feel of places on the cape. We just felt it's potential and charm was unmet as a result of the problems. Some dusting/lysol and a little replacement of worn out things and with this location it would be so wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank GlobalNomad2013
Reviewed September 9, 2015

We recently spent a long Labor Day Weekend Here. Over the past 40 years we have stayed in just about every Hotel on the Outer Cape, and quite a few on the Lower Cape.
Nauset Knoll has one thing that no other Hotel on the Cape can claim, and that is the view. It is breath taking to say the least. Over looking, and just a few steps to Nauset Beach, it's location can't be beat. Nauset Beach in our opinion is the one of the best beaches on the Cape, very clean beach, restroom facilities and of course Liam's Snack Stand.
Having given you all the positives, the rooms at Nauset are dated, or as we like to say Frozen in Time (the 50's). It was clean, and there was a small refrigerator, but thats it. No A/C, no wifi. It's luxury camping. Would we go again? Maybe, can't get the view out of our minds.

Room Tip: The ends rooms seemed larger
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boei58
Reviewed August 18, 2015

I'm scared to write a review because this place is a gem and I don't want to blow their cover! My bathroom had glass doorknobs, I was beside myself. Jeannie, she is just the best, really, she made my room change seamless! Thank you Jeannie! The rooms are immaculate and simple, if you want to wine and dine this is not for you. This is where you come to unplug all technology and take late and early walks on the beach. It's where you connect back with nature and realize all of our gadgets, iphones, laptops, tablets really take years off our lives. I felt like a 5yr when I was leaving because I didn't want to leave. Like the other posters said, it's a step back in time. And Nauset Beach is amazing! The beach is pristine, cold and clean and many many seals swim by all day long. There is Liam’s on the beach which has great fast food and lobstah bisque and lobstah rolls. Everyone was eating their famous onion rings. Let me not forget to mention the night sky and the stars....wow! So bright it felt like you could reach out and touch them. This place is captivating.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank rebec b
Reviewed July 10, 2015

This is the only lodging located within the Cape Cod National Seashore. The rooms are bare-boned but squeaky clean. Every room has a large picture window overlooking the sea. The beds were comfortable. The motel provides toiletries, bath towels, bedding and a small fridge. No coffee pot. I stocked up on instant coffee and used hot water from the tap, but we had no cups to drink our coffee from. There is a vending machine and ice machine.This place is terrific if you come prepared. Short walk to the beach over the public beach parking lot. Would stay again if I wanted to be on the beach, otherwise a quaint inn might be nice. PS, the on-site managers are delightful!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family