“My Favorite Restaurant in Edgartown”

Chesca's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 69 Restaurants in Edgartown
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2017

This restaurant met my ultimate satisfaction. The dining room was lovely and clean, the atmosphere was wonderful and the staff, especially our waiter Kevin, was flawless and attentive. I started with a glass of red wine, then had a Tuscan white bean soup with lots of vegetables. My main course, mussels in a ginger and white wine sauce, was actually an appetizer because I did not want to eat too much, It was absolutely delicious. Then for dessert I had a brownie with hot fudge and ice cream. Yummy! Thank you Chesca's Restaurant. You'll definitely see me eating there again.

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

We visit the island often and always cone back to Chescas for a consistently good meal. Great bartender and great atmosphere. See you next year!

Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

I have been to Chesca about five times this summer. It is becoming my favorite place to eat. The food is consistently excellent. The service is wonderful. Tonight we had Kevin. He was the right balance of attentive but also giving us the time to just relax and enjoy the evening.

The portions are perfect vs Detente which seems to be getting smaller and smaller portions.

I also love how responsive Chesca is to looking at re views and trying to make sure that they respond to any issues.

Chesca A+

Reviewed September 6, 2017

We were unsure about Chesca's due to the mixed reviews. My husband, 17 year old and I decided that we enjoyed our meal and evening for our very good review status. My meal was the fish of the evening. I can't remember know what it was so it wasn't that great but it was good. I thought the waiter was a bit clueless when I asked him about my Gin and tonic in a 17 oz glass... He thought that was just fine and so did the bartender? So if you like a cocktail before dinner like I do, I might first ask for it to be served in a glass that is not for water. Have these people ever heard of a high ball? Besides this everything was smooth. We even took our last glass of wine out on the patio and found two open seats.

Reviewed August 26, 2017

I cannot comment on the food of this restaurant as we only had drinks and one appetizer. However, I can comment on the manager working on the evening of 8/24/17 due to the story below. He should be fired immediately for treating patrons the way he treated me.

I was sitting with my back to a ledge above my seat that apparently held a candle in a metal candle holder. I apparently leaned back too far and my hair got caught in the holder, which tipped over the candle and pouring hot wax down my hair and down by back. A very tiny portion of my hair got burned as well. A nearby waitress saw what happened and immediately came help. She was lovely, asking me if I was ok and shocked at what happened, even asking if I was burned and did I need help. I went to the restroom to check on myself and thankfully I was physically ok, but my dress was ruined from the wax and huge chunks of my hair was stuck with dried wax.

I made it back to my table and told my husband I was fine (dirty, but fine) and planned to continue the meal and wait for our dinner portions.

The manager came over and the conversation went like this:
Mgr- "What happened?"
Me-"My hair got caught in the candle and it tipped over onto me. I got wax all on me"
Mgr- "We have had that candle there for 6 months and have never had a problem:
Me- "Well, I guess I have big hair then" (trying to make light of the situation)
Mgr- "Ok, well we should just like to make clear that we don't believe this to be our fault"
Me- "who said it was your fault? Who said it was anybodies fault? Accidents happen"
Mgr- "Well the waiter told me you stormed off angry"
Me- "I wasn't angry. I went to the bathroom to clean myself up"

At this point my husband jumped into the conversation quite upset asking the manage why he was accusing us of being at fault. And telling him that the ONLY thing he should have asked us is "are you ok? What can I do?" The manager NEVER once asked me if I was ok. He was more concerned about ensuring that he got his point across that the restaurant was not at fault.

Dear Chesca's- If you put candles on ledges that are head high and in back of patrons and that candle gets stuck in a patrons hair, then you ARE at fault. Because it's YOUR restaurant. And everything that happens in YOUR restaurant is YOUR fault. The safety of your patrons should be #1 priority. But accidents happen. And thankfully it was not more serious and my entire head did not go up in flames. That is how your manager should have reacted. With relief that I was not hurt. With compassion to ensure I was ok and that we would still be able to enjoy a nice dinner.

In the end we asked for our check and said we wanted to leave. The manager went to get the check (yup, really went to go get it) but then came back and wisely realized it wasn't worth asking us to hand over $20 in drinks and an appetizer and said it was comped.

The nice waitress offered to box up our food but we wanted to just leave. She is the perfect example of how you treat patrons. Not your manager.

Fire him. Today.

1  Thank BostonGirl4799
mrroonie, Owner at Chesca's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2017

Thank you. We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience, and we will be discussing what happened
with our manager and server today.
I believe that this incident is best discussed in person. TripAdvisor is not the forum, especially when you are obviously angry and asking for one of most valued employees to be fired.
Please contact me personally and we will work through this.
Most sincerely,