All reviews antique shops dunkin donuts view of the river fried clams essex river crane beach watch the boats end unit peabody museum north shore new england eateries within walking distance gorgeous location spent several local seafood morning coffee check in was easy
Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

This is a charming setting for a motel. However, there were several reasons that we slept poorly. First, the outside lights are extremely bright, and there were no curtains over the windows, only cheap plastic blinds (not light filtering).
The mattress (one queen) was absolutely miserable and sagged to the middle. Every time one of us moved it woke the other one up. But the mattress hurt my back and neck so badly that I tossed and turned all night.
And just in case that was not enough, the air conditioner made a terrible racket. It was so loud that I downloaded an app that measures the sound nearby. It measured 52-57 decibels with no other noise but the air conditioner running. So each time that the air conditioner cycled on the horrible noise woke us.
And did I mention yet that there is NO COFFEE in the room? There was no way to heat water and no refrigerator either.
We were really wishing we had not booked two nights there after our first sleepless night.
What a shame too! It would take so little to make the place much more welcoming and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank LakeCityTravelers
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Booked last minute and was able to get a nice room for 1 night. Found out the 1st day that I had to stay another night for business, checked with office and was told they were sold out. Short time later they contacted me and found a room, but would have to check out and back in to another room. I booked it. Then later the women in the office emailed me, left a letter at my door, and a voicemail that she was able to switch around reservations and that I could remain in the room for the 2nd night. She went way above and beyond to give excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank cnort9050
Reviewed August 2, 2017

I've been driving by this motel for almost 10 years and finally had a chance to stay.. couldn't have been nicer...the people, the location, the scenery are lovely.. the room was great... fridge, tv, shower, everything you could possibly need -- even a flashlight for enjoying the nightlife (ie birds, stars, fish splashing, watching the tide go out...) walking distance to several good restaurants (including a Dunkin Donuts that opens at 5am (or is it 4am?)...I would highly recommend this for anyone who is going to be in the area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Gotalife54
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Could not be more centrally located to enjoy Essex. friendly, clean and quiet. Many restaurants within a short walk and lots of antique shops. Right on the river, fun to watch the boats go byand relax.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith H
Reviewed August 2, 2017

The fishing village of Essex, MA is a beautiful place and Shea's is located in the center with easy access to surrounding area's and the water.
We initially had some issues after the booking, however, the staff were MORE than accommodating in helping fix the issue which was resolved and exceeded our expectations. My extended family and friends all enjoyed their stay at Shea's!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends