“Best Fried Clams”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: "Best Waterfront Seafood Shack"- USA Today "Best Restaurant in New England" about.com Readers Serving fresh award-winning seafood for over 100 years! Chubby and Bessie Woodman invented the fried clam back in 1916 Casual, family-friendly atmosphere. Gluten-free, seafood, chowder and more. Fried clams, scallops, shrimp, steamers, boiled lobster, lobster rolls plus burgers and chicken as non-seafood choices. Full Bar, Seasonal Raw Bar Catering throughout New England Shipping across the USA
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is the place to go for awesome New England seafood! Fresh! Fresh! Fresh! The best fried clams ever! They even have gluten-free fried clams!

This is a family friendly, no-frills restaurant! It's all about the seafood!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

They may not be the healthiest preparations, but certainly the most delectable -- and you can't get much better than the New England fare here at Woodman's. Even my parents, who are from another state, make a special detour to enjoy the food here! The dining area is not sophistocated, but the food makes the trip worth it.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

so not the place to get your lobster! i guess it is fine if you like friend food, but we got fresh lobster, grossly overpriced, over cooked, had to wait in two lines one for food one for drink and then sit in extremely uncomfortable tables. can't recommend a good lobster in the rough place in the area, we've found it's never as good as home unless you go very far north in maine

1  Thank ArtLovingFoodie
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Staff have that typical New England charm...warm and cheery as melting ice.
Explained I had read about the place, being a legend, etc...staffer looked at me like I wasn't there...impressive

The star is the food. In summer they jam the place---it is a factory...don't look for atmosphere...very New England clam shack'y but it's function over enthusiasm.

Fried everything...it is why you go there...and this is the best I have ever had.

Chowder is ok at best---skip it for the main event. The Haddock was prepared better than anywhere else I have had it---and that list is massive. The color achieved was between yello and gold...spot on perfect...

Tried both the whole bellies and strips---this place says it invented the fried clam...if so, they have perfected it ...excellent

Fries were not great...Rings the real deal

If you love sea food, come 'n get it!

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We went on a sunny Saturday afternoon around 2pm.
There was no line at the order window. I ordered a small side order of fried scallops ($17.50) and a small side of onion rings ($5.50). My wife ordered a clam strip plate ($13.95). We got our drinks and found a table in the back to sit at. In about 10 minutes our order was ready to pick up.
The clam strip plate comes with fries, onion rings and cole slaw and was very large. My wife said the clam strips were delicious. My scallops were good but you only get about 10-12 in a box which I thought wasn't enough for the money. The next size (medium) box was around $25 which is way too much for me to pay. The onion rings are excellent but I think the fries are boring and tasteless.
There's a couple of things that I don't like about Woodman's; the sodas don't have free refills and the prices are a bit high.
I wouldn't come here if my wife didn't like the clams so much, lol.