Review Highlights

A perfect 10!

Reviewed August 31, 2018
kingge0rdie
Eliot, Maine

All reviews boat tour two hours beautiful boat lobster fishing industry cape ann sails dock ship captain board commentary sights
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Wednesday 9/12/18 - My brother and I had booked a 6 hour circumnavigation around Gloucester on the Ardelle. What a treat! Nice breeze almost all the way. The Captain (Harold) prepared a delicious seafood chowder. Mates Carl & Janet were very helpful. We are looking forward to another sail in 2019.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

One of my best friends and I went sailing today (August 31st) as Bluenose II and Columbia were sailing into Gloucester. I can't praise captain Harold Burnham and his crew enough. Harold for all of his remarkable skills is an incredibly humble person as well as humorous and polite. I am a commercial fishing captain / marine surveyor and was very impressed with his skill both in sailing and docking in windy , tight conditions. The weather couldn't have been better (clear skies and brisk NW winds). The other passengers were a mix of age and gender; all polite and curteous to one another. When Bluenose II and Columbia sailed by at close range it was almost surreal; you simply can't appreciate the beauty and strength of these traditional sailing vessels until you see them at sea. I could go on but just wanted to thank Harold, Justin and the rest of the crew of this beautiful vessel built by Harold and many local folks who labored unconditionally to bring this dream to fruition.
Sincerely, Geordie King, Eliot Maine

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

How to even begin? In this humble reviewer's opinion, the other boats in the harbour just set the stage for an amazing sail aboard the good Pinky Ardelle (no offense to the other vessels intended). The crew had the sails up and drinks in everyone's hand right out of the dock, and the rest was pure pleasure. From the Captain's first remarks to sailing right back into the dock everything was safe, fun, and beautiful. I was aboard for a music sail, which meant a band of talented and engaging musicians played all the while we were viewing Gloucester's scenic harbour and an incredible sunset. The Captain and crew made the rounds talking to everyone and making sure everyone was taken care of and enjoying themselves. As the sun set we saw it reflecting off the water and the sails of all the other schooners in the harbour (an amazing sight). Can't recommend a trip aboard this sweet little vessel enough! Even saw one of the crew members feed a seagull right out of her hand! I hope to go out again the next time I'm in Gloucester.

Reviewed August 24, 2018

Took our four year old and 18 month old out for a cruise around Gloucester Harbor and it was a wonderful afternoon. Boat is safe and staffed by an excellent crew. Staff members were engaging with the children and allowed them to "help out" with the sails. Also answered our questions about the points of interest as we cruised through the harbor. Would highly recommend, would like to return with my wife for sunset cruise.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

This is a beautiful boat and it was a great day for sailing. Was a bit disappointed in the lack of commentary on the attractions that we were passing by and we seemed to dawdle at the end of the harbor just to use up the allotment of time. The cruise was 2 hours long and very relaxing. Not too many waves in the harbor so good for those who get queasy. All and all it was pretty good.

Reviewed July 29, 2017

A year ago my family was so excited about a family reunion on Cape Ann and especially a charter of the Schooner Ardelle followed by a lobster bake in Asbury Park. I found a great caterer for the lobsters and talked with Mary Ann about our charter. She took time to explain every detail of the sail and reserved a time slot for us.

Sadly, our reunion slowly unraveled as one family after the next backed out. The result was a gathering of just a few faithful relatives and me having to deliver the bad news to Mary Ann. I was embarrassed to have neglected to call Mary Ann sooner, but she forgave me and was so understanding about the cancellation.

If one can measure excellent customer service by never even having the chance to board the Ardelle, I can only imagine what a great experience this would be. Thanks again, Mary Ann. I look forward to sailing with your crew one day!

1  Thank JonfromDallas
Reviewed July 20, 2017

We did this boat tour on one of the few good sailing days this summer. Also, it was a Monday when some attractions are closed. We did not realize Hammond Castle would be closed (darn!), so we did this. Happily, we found we were two of perhaps a dozen folks who did this tour. Two hours of fresh air, took in the harbor sights, and nursed a beer. Enjoyed the crew. Very relaxing!

Reviewed July 17, 2017

We booked a 3:30 PM tour during a weekend visit to Cape Ann in July expecting it to be very busy. (Your ticket purchase also includes entry to the small "Maritime museum and Touch tank aquarium." The children there seemed to enjoy this part and as students we really enjoyed reading about the local development of the fishing industry, recent sustainability efforts, and the development of eco-friendly boat bottom paint. It's a small space (2 rooms), but worth it if you get there early and read the carefully placed exhibits). It was a cloudy day with no rain, but we ended up being the only 2 to board! We enjoyed a beautiful tour of the harbor and got to personally hear from Harold about his passion for shipbuilding and the area's history. He informed us of the changes in the fishing industry and local economy and also showed us pictures of artist's paintings of the harbor including the work of Fitz Henry Lane. A very relaxed trip with a mixture of education, story-telling, guitar playing, and quiet time to enjoy the picturesque scenery. Drinks (including alcohol) and snacks available for purchase on board, reasonably priced. Since we were the only 2 on board we even got to help with the raising of the sails and got to watch as Harold and his crew attached a topsail with the American flag for added speed. Definitely a one of a kind, amazing experience. As long as the weather cooperates, it s a good deal. If you're any kind of student (high school, college or graduate, we're medical students), be sure to purchase the tickets at the discount rate, an even better deal!

1  Thank Maisie O
Reviewed May 31, 2017

Went on the Ardelle with 12 scouts and 8 adults on our recent trip to Boston. The Captain/builder was kind, interesting, and very accommodating. He encouraged the scouts to take part in the departure, raising and lowering the sails, and steering the ship throughout the trip. The second crew member was equally if not more informed about the area, pointing out interesting sights, birds and fish, Gloucester and the fishing industry.

They both shared great anecdotes about the area, their personal experiences and the building of the ship.

Overall, a great experience for scouts, highly recommended.

Reviewed September 6, 2016

My husband & I love to be out on the ocean & this ride was a highlight of our vacation. Harold, the pilot AND the builder of the Ardelle, was great. He worked his way around the deck talking to everyone, answering questions & making us laugh. There was no wind outside the harbor, so we sailed around Gloucester Harbor, but we didn't mind, it was wonderful to be out on the water, with a gentle breeze blowing, relaxing, smelling the salt water....just what we wanted.