“Decent crab cakes; otherwise so so food”

The Gloucester House Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 149 Restaurants in Gloucester
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Description: The Gloucester House restaurant is renowned for its local lobster dishes and for the freshest North Atlantic seafood, prepared to perfection. Having been among the first to popularize fried calamari, our specialties range from award-winning clam chowder to homemade bread and cornbread, from Dottie's bourbon cake to Lily's wine list, and from Sambuca mussels to blackened haddock tacos to a fried fisherman's reuben sandwich. We always cook to order and have gluten free and vegetarian menus available, as well as children's meals. Dine full-service on our outdoor, dockside deck or eat lobsters in-the-rough on our harbor side wharf. Located on historic Seven Seas Wharf, there's something for everyone here: shop for souvenirs and local art at our General Store gift shop, enjoy a sail on the Schooner Thomas E. Lannon, or see the whales aboard Seven Seas Whale Watch. Whatever your fancy may be, the Linquata family invites you to join us year-round for a true taste of New England.
Reviewed October 28, 2017

On a weekday evening, since all the booths by the windows were taken we were seated at a round table at the rear of the dining area back by the end wall. The daylight view is surely better. The wait staff were prompt and businesslike, no more than that. Salads and breads were mundane. The crab cakes were also very tasty. We did not venture dessert.

Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went here for dinner after a neighboring whale watch tour. The food was good, and served quickly, but that's all I can say for it. It was very traditional, but not very original. The cole slaw was clearly a preshredded cabbage and carrot bagged mix lightly tossed with a typical creamy dressing. Tasty, but uninspired. I added the decorative red cabbage from my plate to give it some semblance of flair and color. The butternut squash was mashed smooth and seasoned well, but so is mine when I make it at home. My haddock was prepared well and very flaky, as I would expect any restaurant in this area to be. My husband ordered the cold lobster roll. He liked it, but had a better one the day before, for nearly half the price. His fries were also plain frozen large cut fries, served in a too-small side dish bowl. No truffle oil, no Parm cheese, not even skin-on or peppered to give them some interest. Nothing was doctored up to show any flair or imagination.

This would be fine if that was all. However, our waitress told us the specials wrong (I overheard another waiter recite them to another guest later) and I would have ordered one of them if I had been told them correctly. This too, I can forgive, as we're all human. But, it was the decor that truly made this a poor experience. Heavy vinyl/oilcloth tablecloths in a garish nautical pattern, fake flowers attepting to be passed off as real as they were in a small vase with water, wall decor with broken parts (starfish was missing an arm), and multiple stained ceiling tiles from where (I am assuming) the air conditioner leaked.

Again the food was good, but not special. If you want traditional seafood, then this could be the place for you. But to me the prices were exorbitant for the provided ambiance and culinary experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2017 via mobile

Just driving around on our way back home and stop here. This place is very nice and tucked away. If I’m ever in Gloucester again I will come here. Definitely recommend !!

Reviewed October 22, 2017

Large selection of fresh and well prepared seafood . Service was excellent. They have free parking behind the paid city lot so watch for the separate entrance

Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

Nice place by the seafront serving all the traditional that needs to be on the menu. Went with two colleagues and we all tried different main courses. All were ok to good. The restaurant has a good location seemed to be popular = a lot of guests. For us it was ok.