“8/2011 - Dump, Dump, Dump!”
Review of Cape Cod Inn

Cape Cod Inn
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Hyannis
Hyanis, Ma
“8/2011 - Dump, Dump, Dump!”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Only had to stay here due to a last minute business trip in the middle of tourist season; no rooms available at other national-chain hotels. This place is a dump. Rooms are very poorly renovated. No table or chairs in rooms. No desks. No hangars. No alarm clocks. No iron or ironing board. Incessant housekeeping personnel attempt entry every hour, and finally ignore locked door and enter room. No swing-bar safety/security locks on the doors. Pool is full of construction materials (from recent room renovations). Took 1/2 hour to check in; check in process is very slow. Had to change rooms twice due to room (type) reserved by other guests during my stay. You have to pay for your room up front. Stay away.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Down_Spout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 6 July 2011

In June, I made reservations tk stay at this hotel from July 2nd -July 5th with my daughter and boyfriend. I thought for the time and location, it was a great deal. When we got to the hotel, not only was the hotel closed, but the woman I spoke to once I relaized they were closed told me it wasn't her fault that I wasn't notified. Luckily we were able to find a cheapo hole in the wall hotel to stay in with such short notice.
Heres a thought, why not do renovations in the off season...
Never booking here again. Very rude and unaccomodating!!!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank kmom2002

Travellers are raving about these Hyannis hotels

ma
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I had reserved two rooms, one for me and my kids and another for my friend and her kids. Unfortunately, she was not going to be able to make it so i called today (monday) to cancel her reservation for Friday. I was told at that time that they had already cancelled my reservations because they were renovating the motel. I asked why I had not been notified and the woman stated that a third party was supposed to notify me. I asked for contact info for the third party and she was about to give it to me. when i mentioned that she better not be lying as i will file a lawsuit she quickly giggled and stated everyone is suing them. then she refused to give me the info and hung up on me. i have tried calling back for more than an hour and no answer. no i am stuck trying to find a clean room at a reasonable rate 3 days ahead of travel date. i booked this room 3 months ago. i would recommend not to stay at this motel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank veryangrymother
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I phoned the hotel to cancel about 2 weeks before my scheduled date. A woman answered the phone and said they would cancel but didn't give confirmation numbers. They charged me even though I made the cancellation. I would never stay or recommend a place like this. Apparently, the $100+ charge is worth more than a good reputation. Well, they will lose a lot more since I am telling everyone I know to stay away from there and the Duck Inn Pub.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank dmn0705
dover, nj
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I had booked this hotel for Labor Day weekend, when Hurricane Earl was coming. Not wanting to be caught in a HURRICANE, I called to inquire about cancelling. I was told it was $45.00 to cancel, so I decided to keep my trip and hope for the best. As the news of the hurricane was getting worse, I figured I would just call and cancel anyway. The male answering the phone told me that DUE TO THE HURRICANE, THERE WERE NO CANCELLATION CHARGES. However, they still charged me $45.00 to my credit card.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and my credit card company, stating that they violated a verbal committment for a refund/cancellation at no charge.

This is their idiotic, moronic response:

"this person called to make a resevation. which we did so for him. he states that no one told him about our cancellation policy,which i know is not true. once the resrvation is made,befor we hang up the phone the last thing we tell them is our policy.he called a total of three times. once in the afternoon on 9/03/10 the manager answered and he said he wanted to cancel. the women told him that there will be a charge. half price ($45) of the first night. once he was informed of that he stated that he will indeed come. his reservation was for 9/04/10. the tropical storm came on 9/03/10. his reservation like i stated was on the following day which was a very nice and sunny day. he could have made the drive up here,like so many of my other customers did. the second call was on 9/03/10 at night which was my shift. and yes i did say there would be no charge.but he did not tell me that he called earlier in the day and spoke to the manager.he was already charged by his second call because we doubted he would show up. he also did not state that his reservation was for 9/04/10 the following day. had i known that i would not have said there would be no charge. i should have checked myself to see when he was to arrive. but i didnt.the third time he called he spoke with her and she said that she would speak with me and if she felt that he deserved a refund she would issue one.the manage never said she would call back. and as for the manager not being reachable thats garbage. she is her 24/7 she has a apartment attached to the motel. thats our side of the story. thank you. "

This is a business that will still charge your credit card with their cancellation rate when they think you will not show up, even though you tell them you will still go. This is a business that does not have good communication amongst its employees because one was telling me there was no cancellation charge while the manager insists there was. This is a business that does not honor its verbal committment to its guests if it means gaining a few extra dollars. This is a business that doesn't care about its own image and has a complete moron write a response to an investigation from the Better Business Bureau.

Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, EVER give these people any business.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank mryankees2
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Honestly, I was looking to stay closer to Sandwich MA, but unfortunately, all the motels there were booked. A site had a link to the closest motels with available rooms, and I found The Cape Cod Inn. They had a room, with a king bed, so I booked it. After booking, I started to read the reviews of this motel and I became extremely anxious and afraid I made the wrong choice.

Once we arrived, it was a bit late, and a Saturday, so the street was filled with people. I'm used to staying places that aren't as open and next to busy streets. We checked in, they had my reservation, they gave us our room keys, gave us our parking permit and they filled us in on where our room was, where the pool was, and asked if we needed the wifi code. Very friendly and efficient if I may say so myself. They even gave us a 10% off coupon for their attached Duck Pub restaurant.

Upon entering our room, which was right at the pool, I felt relieved. The bed was made nicely, the a/c was already on and pumping out nice cool air, the fridge was very clean and bathroom was clean and stocked with 8 towels. The room was a little on the smaller side, but it had everything we needed. Everything I mentioned, along with a little closet, a desk and chair, and a TV with clear cable and a hook up for a portable DVD player or gaming device if you brought one.

Our first night there, we walked down Main St. You could eat, go shopping, and pick up any souvenirs you wanted all within a few blocks from the motel. Even go bowling, candle pin or regular within feet from the rooms. Our second day there, we went to breakfast and when we returned, our room was cleaned, bed made, fresh soaps and towels and they even took care of the beer cans we had scattered all over the floor. We even decided to take advantage of the pool. It went from 3 1/2 feet to 8 1/2 feet. Only complaint, and it's not even a complaint, just weird, is that you had to bring your own towel. That could be normal since it's the first time in a long time I took advantage of a pool at a motel. The pool itself along with the surrounding area was very clean. Nothing floating around, not to much chlorine. It was very refreshing. After dinner, we jumped back in and they even kept the pool open a little longer because we were having a good time. After swimming we sat outside our room on cozy chairs. They had tables outside some rooms too. Perfect for sipping on your favorite beverage enjoying the cool breezy Cape Cod air. Even had a few conversations with our neighbors.

One thing that bothered me, but not my hubby, was the ice machine. It was literally a box filled with ice and you had to scoop out yourself. That would fine if I was the only one sticking my hands in there, but I probably wasn't. I would have been using the ice IN my drinks, so I walked to White Hen and grabbed a bag.

Over all, the place was pretty nice. Sure nothing stuck out as amazing, but it served it's purpose. For us, as a couple, we're very easy to keep happy. Give us a clean bed and fridge and we're sold. Maybe after all these horrible reviews of the place, they got their act together. Or maybe we were just lucky. I guess we're just a couple of people that aren't bothered by mixed match light bulbs or a little too much paint on the bathroom tile.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank freshyMCM
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 16 August 2010

After initially booking this motel and reading the reviews, I almost cancelled our reservation. I am glad we didn't. The owner was on top of my specific request to surprise my husband while checking in. (I had booked TWO rooms because friends were coming that my husband didn't know about). The owner quickly and wordlessly checked me in with no problem, took care of the friends when they arrived a bit later. The owner also noticed that he overcharged me (by $20) when rushing to check me in and promptly issued a refund later.
We had reserved 2 King bedrooms and upon check in we were told that there had been a mistake and we got double beds instead. We did not complain. We walked around the town for a bit and we went back to our room the owner stopped us and said that HE had made the mistake (about the King rooms) and the assistant HAD indeed reserved us King rooms. They moved us into the two king rooms with no problem. They were apologetic and accommodating.
The rooms are a little "dated" but the bedding was clean as was the bathroom. The hotel is located close enough to walk to the Melody Tent and right in the middle of the downtown We walked everywhere and frankly we did not spend much time in the room.
The air conditioner worked (almost too) well...the refrigerator provided was new.
The price is fair for what and where you are. Maybe it is the new owner that has made positive changes...but these other (bad) reviews are way too harsh.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple