“Excellent Service, great view in a historic Inn.”
Review of The Kemble Inn

The Kemble Inn
Ranked #5 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Entrance is thru the grand foyer of the country home built by Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, Secretary of State under President Chester Arthur, in 1881. We were very warmly greeted upon arrival, and it only got better from there.

We stayed in suite 301, one of the most modest rooms in the inn, but were very happy with our room. Clean, tidy and very private.

Staff was extremely friendly and helpful, most offering their names and remembering ours.

Small plates and cocktails on the lawn, with it's view of the Berkshires were very good. The server even brought me my refill to the lawn as I wandered and smoked.

From here we visited Tanglewood, which is about a mile and a half away.

The town of Lenox, shopping and restaurants are within walking distance. The restaurant and wine bar Alta is worth the walk.

Will stay there again this year for the right show at Tanglewood.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lawn have the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

We had a wonderful get away for a night at the Kemble Inn for a second year in a row. The hotel is beautifully maintained and well appointed. We recommend room 201 which has a fireplace and nice couch sitting area in front of the bed. They put a mini fridge and offered complimentary bottle water which was a nice addition to the rooms. The young man from the Ukraine working over the weekend was a fantastic help and always ready to answer any questions or help us with any needs.
The dinner was excellent but definitely more meat options than I would like (only offered one fish option compared to 6 meat options). The inn also know operate some select spa services on the first floor which we will have to try out on another visit. There were only two other couples staying at the inn while we were there so it was very quiet. I don't think I would bring children to this hotel as it would take away from the serene atmosphere but would definitely recommend for a couple or family with older children looking for an upscale hotel with charm.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2017

The Kemble Inn is an amazing experience of class and beauty. Each room has a different feel. The restaurant is AMAZING. The owner and all of the people involved in this total gem of a place are top notch!!
Room 202 has an amazing view of the mountains and the inn's amazing landscapes.
I recently left some items there, due to an amazing night at Table Six and their delicious champagne ;) , and Will sent them out to me the next day.
You will not be disappointed..... ❤❤
Don't forget to visit Stephanie at the amazing Hoadley Gallery while you are there...

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2017

This splendid inn is named after the famous 19th century British actress, author, and abolitionist Fanny Kemble. and is on Kemble Street, likewise named after her. The Kemble Inn has (I think) twelve rooms, ranging from huge and elegant to pleasant and interesting. The staff are quietly accommodating, food is very good, and location is wonderful. We were there in the winter (Dec 2016). If you are a fan of quaint WWII British sayings, like "Your courage, your cheerfulness, your resolution, will bring us victory," as well as portraits of the Queen, this inn may especially charm you.

Room Tip: Room 101 is remarkable
Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2016

I travel often, but haven't taken the time to write many reviews on here (trying to be better as I find them very useful) but I got back from my stay at the Kemble Inn today and was SO IMPRESSED that I had to share! My boyfriend and I stayed in Suite 101...it was beautifully decorated, quite large, included heated bathroom floors and a steam shower. It was perfect! But in addition to the beautiful decor, the staff really made the stay even more unbelievable! We were immediately greeted by Will, who was not only friendly and helpful but also made a delicious cocktail and made sure we had wonderful fires in the fire place of our room upon returning to the room in the evening! The owner Scott, was also very friendly and gave great recommendations for restaurants (Tapas at Brava - Yum!). Each morning we were greeted by Joe (SO friendly and nice!) and team, who helped us enjoy delicious breakfasts each day at the Inn restaurant. I can't name everyone but the people that work here truly seem to care that you have a great time during your stay. We were only there for two nights this week but had a wonderful time and I can't recommend this Inn enough (location was also great- short walk to all the downtown shops and restaurants). Thanks Kemble Inn for a wonderful romantic getaway. We'll be back someday :)

Room Tip: Suite 101 was amazing! You can hear the front door slam if people are not careful but we never had...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2016 via mobile

I was looking for a last minute place to stay over winter break. We wanted a place with a fireplace that was close to ski attractions. We stayed in room 202 with views of the mountains in the rear of the property. Room was ready even though we arrived early. King sized bed very comfortable.

Staff was very helpful in filling us in on the amenities available. They are a little hard to find sometimes because the same staff handles check in, bartending in the lounge, serving in the dining room, stoking the fire, etc. Just ring the bell on the front table and someone will come to your aid.

Dinner at table six (restaurant on-site) was absolutely amazing. We sat at a cozy table in front of the fire, very intimate. I recommend the Coq au vin if it's available.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

I happened upon The Kemble Inn when I needed a room for the night in Lenox Ma. this week. Three separate shop owners or townspeople had mentioned it . One loved having cocktails on the back porch staring at the stars, not something I planned to do in 35 degree weather, another loved dining there with her husband, and the third simply handed me a brochure with a smile, saying 'just look for yourself'.
The pictures were beautiful, in the best, Manhattan comes to the country kind of way. Luxe navy velvet couches flanking the fireplace in the library, flames dancing, modern art on the walls; another fireplace glowing in the dining room/ restaurant (cute name'Table Six'), with an oversized picture window out onto the back lawn, and an almost as large whimsical painting of Queen Elizabeth among the art filled walls.
Gleaming wood floors throughout, carefully curated antique, modern and contemporary furniture in each room, shiny white subway tiles in the beautifully redone steam shower in a bedroom.
But in real life, would it compare?
No. It so far surpassed my high expectations, that I have installed Trip Advisor, just so I could write about it!
The house manager, William, greeted me at the door and wrenched the bags from my frozen fingers. The lobby/living room was light filled and lovely, but I was immediately drawn into the library, where the fire burned and the velvet couches called to me, just like in the picture. He brought me a big cup of tea to warm my soul, but from the looks of the corner antique bar carts, I could have gotten anything from Pernod to 12 yr old Scotch, to a 'sidecar' if I had asked.
The location is a couple of blocks off the main Street, so it was very quiet. Other than the crackling fire, the only outside sound I heard were the bells from the quaint old church I could view from my bedroom window.
My room had a fireplace and William brought up plenty of wood. A crimson velvet love seat in an alcove with floor lamps on either side was a perfect place to read. The little black Smeg fridge was packed with plain and sparkling water (free!), and all manner of other drinks. The ceiling lights and each strategically placed lamp had a dimmer switch. The bathroom had bright white tiles and huge white towels. The chrome was new, and it sparkled.

I went back down around 8 and chose to skip dinner, even though the smells of roasted potatoes and beef, and the sounds of diners and fire and clinking glasses almost changed my mind. I went back to the library, and later had some straight out of the oven apple crisp which Chef Caleb brought me around 10 pm. The local apples were tart, sweet and hot, the crisp was flaky, and the vanilla ice cream was just starting to melt.
When I went up to bed, one perfectly round house- made chocolate truffle, with a light dusting of cocoa on the white dish, waited for me on top of my antique highboy. The bed had been turned down, and it called to me, but I had to work until 2 a.m. and I kept the fire burning the entire time.
The next morning, a gentle snow covered the church, as though it had been pre-ordered , (pre-ordained?) and I stared at it while still in my cozy bed.
My whole stay at The Kemble Inn was just 24 hours, but I began to plan a real trip there for my husband and myself, before I even left. What an experience!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank takeaboattakeatrain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
0.8 km away
1.3 km away
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 20 in Lenox

Been to The Kemble Inn? Share your experiences!