“An Amazing B&B Experience”
Review of Cornell Inn Lenox

Cornell Inn Lenox
Ranked #1 of 19 Lenox B&B and Inns
Derby CT
“An Amazing B&B Experience”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Where to begin? The Cornell in Lenox is quite possibly one of the most unique and amazing experiences. When I travel I prefer to stay in B&B's and the Cornell far suprasses all. Let's start with the food. Lance (their head chef) is utterly incredible. His culinary pairings are of the utmost quality. Lance has an understanding of food that is just beyond my comprehension; his scalloped potatoes make the Iron Chef look bad. Lance has a passion for food and it is absolutely reflected in his servings. If you have the opportunity to stay for brunch, you would be missing out if you didn't experience it. Then there is Judith. Judith is the primary innkeeper at this point in time, and she is incredible. She's kind, she's caring and most importantly, she just wants you to have a good time. Any good inkeeper is one who cares about the quality of your stay, and Judith wants to make sure your stay is fabulous. I haven't even mentioned the rooms (that's probably because I think they speak for themselves), so quanit, so clean, so outstandingly beautiful. Colleen and her crew absolutely enhance the rustic ambiance of this mangical Inn. The Cornell has an amazingly antique charm. Upon walking in you just feel welcomed. Time seems to just slow down and you're suddenly able to stop and smell the roses. Personally, I fell inlove with The Cornell from the moment I walked in. Its an experience I would recommend for anyone.

Room Tip: You just can't beat Francis.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sara C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed for the weekend in the Frances Room which is big, comfortable and has a nice fireplace. Lance made a delicious breakfast and had helpful tips on where to go for a hike (Kennedy Park which is 2 minutes away from the hotel) and restaurants to try. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We spent New Years Eve at the Cornell this past year and can not say enough about this place and it's staff! The staff made us feel very much at home and happily answered our questions about the Inn and surounding area. Our room was very clean with such a beautiful bed and fireplace. The Location could not be better, just a 5 minute walk into the very cute village of Lenox, where there are lots of great shops and restaurants. But!, we decided to eat dinner Saturday night at the Cornell, and let me tell you it was the best meal we've ever had!! The duck was perfectly done with a sauce that was out of this world, butternut bisque (amazing!) popovers, prime rib, risotto, potatoes, and vegetables (FIVE STARS!), bourbon pecan pie and raspberry cheesecake, (heaven!!!) we can't wait to go back, and are thinking of having a family reunion there! Did I mention the breakfast?! Hats off to the chef! Thank you!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Belchertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We spent a quiet 2 nights at the Cornell this November. We found the B&B to be on par with more expensive ones and were suprized with great breakfasts served-up by Lance.,Our host. We picked the Frances and sprawled out in the huge room. I'm 6'6" and had no problems with fixtures. I'm am not one to indorse many things, but I will say, you can't go wrong staying here. Its clean, inviting and close to town. Best, Peter and Bev.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, your closer to the food.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Cornell this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were celebrating our 5th anniversary and our visit was relaxing and memorable. I'll say right off that my wife and I are not finicky/fussy. On the other hand, we are not indiscriminating in our expectatiions. I was more impressed by the hospitality at the Cornell than some $300+ hotels I've stayed at. My wife's mother ran a B+B for more than 10 years and recognizes good service. In part, I am writing this review to offset a poor review that I read with disbelief. I honestly feel that 4 stars is a fair appraisal.

I like Victorian style homes and found the rooms beautiful and clean. The inn was not fully occupied so Lance offered us a choice of several rooms. We upgraded to a room called "Dolly" at no extra cost. The decore was spendid with period furniture and tasteful floral wallpaper. We loved the antique touches in the room such as lamps in the style of the early 20th century and depression era glassware. The complementary coffee mugs we received were a pleasant surprise. After dinner we took advantage of the cozy bar which had a variety of tablegames. The fourposter bed was comfortable and we slept well.

The next morning the breakfast included a delicious egg/potato/herb casserole, homebaked cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. We had a lively conversation with the staff and then walked about the property. The Cornell has a lovely Koi pond, a patio with umbrellas, and a wooden swing on the lawn. The main house has an inviting porch with rocking chairs. Afterwards, we had a great hike in Kennedy Park which was within walking distance from the B+B.

I will mention some things which could use a little attention. The house could use painting. Some yard items could be spruced up. My wife and I have renovated our house which dates back to the 1840's and believe that things don't need to be perfect to be appreciated. Overall, I felt the friendly staff attended to our needs and gave us a wonderful stay. We'd gladly stay at the Cornell again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank R W
greeley, colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed here during the last week of September for three nights. The hotel had a horrible dirty, musty odor, including our room. We stayed in Frances. It was dimly lit, the sink was very slow, the plastic mini blinds didn't keep the spotlights from shining in our windows. We asked for a fragrant candle to mask the odor. I even found pair of dirty socks in my night table drawer! Breakfast was almost inedible with herby, rubbery omelets, butter that tasted like the refrigerator and cut up fruit salad that was old. When we returned home, we found that the Cornell didn't credit our deposit and charged us the full amount. We called immediately and they still have done nothing about the overcharge. This was a week ago, so after numerous e-mails, we turned the problem over to our credit card company. We stayed at the Lenox Hotel in Boston amd the Wauwinet in Nantucket prior to our arrival at the Cornell. Both places were less expensive than the Cornell and were far superior. What a disappointment this run-down place is.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank babybulldog
Montvale, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 2 October 2011

My girfriend and I stayed at the Cornell this past weekend and absolutely loved it. We have stayed at one other B&B in Lenox and several others in different locations. So while we may not be B&B experts we are experienced and I should also note we are very well travelled.

ROOM:
Our room was awesome but to be fair we did our research online and new we were getting one of their biggest rooms with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. Unlike other reviews below their was a log waiting in the room.

FOOD:
The breakfast rocked. Lance, chef and acting manager for the weekend, made 3 types of pancakes: buttermilk, blueberry and per our request chocolate chip. He topped it off with his homemade pumpkin syrup which was incredible. There were also eggs which were made with herbs, potatoes, bacon, fruit and bread. Again unlike other reviews there was tons of food and Lance kept bringing out hot, fresh pancakes and eggs. Also noteworthy is the breakfast area. The atmosphere is very country with tons of windows and natural light. The other B&B we stayed in had a more formal dining room. Not that it was bad, just different, and we preferred the Cornell's.

PROPERTY
The grounds are beautiful. Outdoors the fish pond and falls are so peaceful. Inside the bar area was lovely and we enjoyed a quick card game before packing up. We also loved the proximity to Lenox so we could walk to town in 5 minutes.

Overall we loved it. As is well known the property is currently owned by the bank looking for a new owner. So I am representing all the facts the house can use a new paint job and other minor cosmetic touches but nothing major. Nornally I shy away from this situation since you never know if you will find staff that cares. This couldnt be further from the truth. The staff was awesome. We not only recommend it but are looking at booking a week there this coming summer.

Room Tip: Do your homework. Some of the rooms are small but they do not hide it online. We were in the largest...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
0.5 km away
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
3.2 km away
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Cornell Inn Lenox? Share your experiences!