“Truly extraordinary- a peek into life in the gilded ages”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed 10 October 2011

A stay at Blantyre allows you to experience what life must have been like during the gilded age, prior to nuisances like the income tax, and working to earn a living, got in the way, and the Berkshire "cottages" like Blantyre were basically abandoned.
We had a truly extraordinary and might I say magical, stay at Blantyre. While my wife and I are widely traveled and love to stay at fine places, a stay at the Ice House, a two bedroom cottage that Ann Brown, the owner, kindly offered us, at 2k a night for just the room, would probably be out of our league.
Before I proceed, in terms of full disclosure, we did not have to pay for our stay at Blantyre as I had won an event where the prize was a two day stay with all meals and wine included. But as a frequent traveler and TA contributor, I will attempt to be completely objective in this review.
Blantyre is just as my title says, truly extraordinary. At any of the world's great hotels, however perfect their location, the mark of distinction is mostly carried by the quality of the service and the staff. Here Blantyre shines- the service was without any doubt exceptional throughout. From the moment we reached, we were whisked into this magical world, where there was nothing required except savoring the champagne and the world of Blantyre that Mrs Brown has so lovingly created.
The property is beautifully maintained and the absolutely gorgeous weather the weekend we were there added to the Berkshires beauty in the fall, but Blantyre shines by itself, creating an ambiance regardless of the weather. There is a very nice hiking trail right on the property, if you do not want to go outside. The Potting Shed, Blantyre's spa is perfectly situated on the property and the staff, like all of Blantyre's shine. I am not much of a spa person, but my wife, who has indulged across the globe said the treatment was comparable to the best.
I will comment on the food and wine. The food was excellent, the chef's creativity was challenged by my wife having the vegetarian tasting menu and I the regular one, and he delivered in spades. The vegetarian menu was amazing and I kept asking for a taste (which after the first one) was firmly denied.
And then the wine. We are both very wine centric with a cellar at home, but I have to say, this was one of the "wine weekends" of our lives, comparable to our trips to Bordeaux, the Rhone valley and Brunello (Montepulcino). I owe a debt of gratitude to Luc Chevalier, the amazing sommelier for making our stay so memorable. His knowledge, sensitivity to the guests palate, and ability to match just the right wine with whatever one is eating, is sheer perfection.
In summary, I am determined to go back, this time on our own dime.

Room Tip: The cottages are marvelous, with just the right blend of complete privacy and access to the main hou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 October 2011

Two days here was as restorative as a week spent elsewhere. Blantyre is like the house you've always wanted - but better. The rooms are all unique, and the linens are so cozy I found myself writing down the names on the tag to order for my home. The service was exceptional but unobtrusive; it's an incredibly special place that makes you feel as if you're going back in time to a kinder, more luxurious era. I'm sending all my friends!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank UESnewyorker
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Blantyre is a most wonderful Relais and Chateau property. My husband and I have visited here
several times and have never been disappointed. From the outstanding staff, exceptional food, beautiful grounds, luxurious appointed rooms, suites and cottages, and the lovely spa with a wonderfully attentive staff, it is a vacationers dream come true! One never wants for anything at Blantyre. Ann, the most delightful, charming and thoughful owner, has thought of everything to make your stay stress-free. When you stay here, you feel like you are spending time at a dear friend's country estate.

It is hard to choose what is the most pleasurable thing to do at Blantyre since they are all
wonderful experiences each in their own right. Ice-skating with the most fabulous hot chocolate and banana bread brought to you by the "snow concierge", snow-shoeing, cross-country skiing around the property and its trails, relaxing by the heated outdoor pool, enjoying a spa service and lounging afterwards in the "potting shed", having a lovely picnic lunch on the property complete with beautiful tablecloths, cushions, fresh flowers and yummy
food, relaxing on the hammock, sitting on the covered terrace reading, playing a game or just relaxing, listening in the music room as it is filled with exquisite piano music by the pianist on the impressive grand piano......but I must stop here because the list of fabulous moments
can go on forever.

Sometimes one returns to a destination and the second time around is less memorable.. At Blantyre each visit is outstanding, if not better than the previous. You will never be disappointed, and will start thinking about when you will return again before you even leave!
THANK YOU, ANN, for restoring Blantyre and allowing us to share in its graciousness and your exceptional hospitality.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

This was our seventh or eighth trip to The Blantyre. I keep thinking that it can't get any better, and I keep being proven wrong. The staff is extraordinarily friendly, attentive to every detail, and determined not to allow you to do anything other than relax and enjoy the ambiance of this exquisite property. The food is always exceptional and the wine list is mind boggling. The accommodations in the Ice House are off the charts, but every room and suite that we have stayed in has been amazing in its own way. The "coffee table" books that adorn the rooms are one of the most fascinating aspects of the whole experience. I could easily hole up in any one of the rooms and spend my entire visit just getting lost in the pages and pictures. If you happen to have any time not consumed in eating, enjoying some wine or a cocktail, and immersing yourself in the accoutrements of your living space, walking about the grounds is a balm for the soul. If this isn't heaven on earth, you can certainly see it from here.

Room Tip: If price is no object, go for The Ice House. The Patterson Suite is also exceptional. There are no b...
1  Thank mainecoaster
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Be transported in time and relive the luxury of the privileged few who summered in their Berkshire mansions in the early 20th century. Have cocktails and canapes in the drawing room while listening to piano music then off to the dining room with candlelight and beautiful floral arrangements together with attentive and expert service. Then it's back to the drawing room to hear a few more songs.

We stayed in the carriage house which had a huge recently renovated bath and was most convenient to the very large heated pool, spa and whirlpool. There is free wi-fi everywhere, something not always found even in high-end resorts.

The owner was always around greeting guests. The staff was very professional but with a friendly and helpful genuineness that cannot be faked.

The Mount, Edith Wharton's home and gardens are close by and well worth a visit. Also, it is a lovely drive over to the Clark Institute to see their great collection and exhibitions.

This was an anniversary celebration for us and a delightful two days. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The Blantyre was by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in and possibly ever will. The service was truly unbelievable. When we pulled in to the drive way we were greeted by hotel staff who knew our name and showed us to our cottage. I have no idea how they knew who we were. We walked into the cottage and were greeted with champaign and some snacks (cheese, crackers, and fruit). The room included a fire place, lots of extra fire wood, a private deck and numerous book shelves with some amazing books (we loved the pools books). In the evening we went to the main building for our tasting dinner. FANTASTIC. We sat next to the fireplace and had drinks before being seated in a small room with only two other tables for dinner. I can't possibly say enough about the service. The staff at the Blantyre set the standard for true 5 star service.
We also used the health club, swimming in the pool and using the jacuzzi during our stay. Again, all amazing.
I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an over the top amazing experience. Loved every minute!!

Room Tip: Rent one of the cabins. While the main residence seems nice, the cabins/cottages are stunning!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NYCtraveler33Nyc
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We went for a intimate family wedding. It was the most charming, exquisite wedding, due to the ambience of this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
3.5 km away
4.9 km away
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
7.4 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!