“Chef and Owner, Mario Boccabella, prepares Italian Food while singing Opera!”

Bocca Bella Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #38 of 275 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Italian, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2015

Step into "Bocca Bella" where you will find Mario, chef of this family-owned restaurant, preparing true Italian dishes from his homeland. Sit at the bar and enjoy a cocktail prepared by Anthony (his son-in-law) and have Mario's special recipe for Shrimp Abruzzi. Warm neighborhood atmosphere where you are welcomed like an old friend. Mario's menus change daily depending on availability of fresh produce, fish and meats. Close your eyes and dream of veal or eggplant parmesan, light with wonderful homemade pasta, or fresh fish prepared with Mario's special touch.
Observed families with small children for dinner, seniors enjoying wine and frivolity, and couples enjoying a night out; also lunch with groups out for business lunch.

Reviewed October 31, 2015

Took the family here, and was really impressed by this bistro. It's very tastefully decorated and surprisingly large for the small but sunny storefront space - I'm guessing it can seat 35 inside, plus when the weather is nice a few more seats outside. The lunch menu was solid, with everything from soups (minnestrone, brocolli, chorizo and kale) to sandwiches, burgers and a few grill items. All were less than $15. There were also wonderful daily specials, including lamb chops with rice pilaf and butternut squash ($10), Eggplant parmesan with spaghetti ($9), an Italian cold cut sandwich on ciabatta ($9) and cheese ravioli ($7). This was great value in a wonderful atmosphere. We can't wait to try the dinner menu. There is lots of street parking in the area, plus a metered lot behind the bank in the opposite block.

Reviewed October 8, 2015 via mobile

Lovely small bistro-type setup. Excellent menu choices. Fast, friendly service. I ordered Veal Parmesan - EXCELLENT!!!

1  Thank TerryLulu
Reviewed September 1, 2015

I was surprised to find Boccabella's tucked away in a small corner off busy Comm Ave in Auburndale some time ago - and found a gem of a small, cozy restaurant. On our first visit, we asked Mario to fix us something we would like (similar to the scene from "Ratatouille" ) and Mario prepared us a dish of light, crispy calamari fritti, followed by a wonderful papardelle Bolognese for me, and a flavorful chicken dish for my date. He topped it off with a wonderful desert and a cordial, and I felt transported back to his native Abruzzi. We have since been back several times, and each time Mario never ceases to amaze - and AMUSE - us. From here on, the name Mario to me will be synonymous with Boccabella, not Batalli!

1  Thank GabeyBaby
Reviewed July 31, 2015

Someone recently recommended Bocca Bella to me. When I checked it out on TripAdvisor I was surprised to see it listed as No. 7 in Newton, but that confirmed, for the moment, the recommendation. Moreover the reviews were overwhelmingly "excellent," which is a bit unusual in my experience. A group of us went there the other day anticipating a very special experience. It wasn't. The menu is quite limited. That's not necessarily a problem, but there were far fewer Italian dishes than I had expected. That's OK too--just an observation. Unmoved by the menu choices, I opted for an Angus burger, but ultimately regretted the choice. All of us had burgers, in fact, and all were substantially overcooked (well-done, rather than medium for example). The slaw was nice, but 1/8 cup of it amounted to a sample by my standards. Maybe we made bad choices, maybe the kitchen wasn't at the top of its game, maybe the place isn't as good as some of these reviews suggest. No matter--I won't be heading back to try it again, but others can decide for themselves.

2  Thank aBoater

Been to Bocca Bella Cafe & Bistro? Share your experiences!