“Might have to take another trip to Boston just for this!”

Johnny's Luncheonette
Ranked #16 of 285 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After driving around for an hour looking for a place that served pancakes on our way home from Boston, we stumbled upon Johnny's. It was exactly what we were looking for. It was a fifties style diner with so many choices on the menu. Our waitress was very friendly even though they were busy. My son got his pancakes but also ordered a Caprese Omelet which was amazing. My bacon and eggs were prepared perfectly. We were doing college visits and am tempted to have my son apply to Boston College just so we can return to Johnny's!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed October 27, 2018 via mobile

Would love the recipe for their veggie chili ! It was the best! Everything we ordered was excellent. Wish we had a place like this in our town

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed October 14, 2018

Can't figure out why this restaurant is always mobbed for breakfast. Absolutely nothing special. Eggs are eggs and bread is bread. Efficient service and friendly staff but this restaurant offers nothing different that would be reflective in prices. Pancakes as good as you would get at McDonald's.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

On a recent Sunday afternoon in October, my wife and I took our daughter to lunch at Johnny's Luncheonette in Newton Center. We had heard about this restaurant but had never been there. After parking in the municipal parking lot across the street from the restaurant we entered Johnny's and found that there were others already waiting. While we waited we looked around and saw that there were many tables in the back and additionally some seating at the counter. It seemed very similar to diners that we have eaten at. We also had a chance to view the menu which had many choices and offered both breakfast and non-breakfast items. After a short wait we were taken to a booth and were able to quickly place our order with our waiter. My wife ordered a Belgian Waffle (one of her favorite food items), our daughter ordered macaroni and cheese, and I ordered a turkey club sandwich on whole wheat bread and a side of French fries to split with our daughter. After a relatively short amount of time our food was delivered to our table. There was a large portion of macaroni and cheese, enough so that my daughter wasn't able to finish it all and took some of it home. My wife devoured her Belgian waffle. My turkey club sandwich was very tasty and was too large for me to eat all of so I took half home with me. It also came with a small bowl of cole slaw which I found very tasty. The French fries were also very good and the quantity was plenty for two of us to share. We all thought the food was great and my wife said that we will have to go back to Johnny's again. We heartily recommend this restaurant to anyone in the Newton Center area who is looking for a good meal.
One non-food item that I found interesting was the restrooms. There are two restroom and after staring at the doors for a few minutes I was able to determine that they operate on a first come first served basis, without separate men's and women's restrooms.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

Had breakfast at Johnny's last Friday - ordered two poached eggs, sliced tomatoe, one piece of turkey bacon, and a slice of dry rye toast. The waitress was wonderfu, explainded how the poached eggs come in a small dish by themselves, and then brought me extra napkins to dry them off so my toast wouldn't become soggy. A delightful experience. Eggs poached perfectly. Will go back again.