“Very good small but good Italian”
Review of Comella's

Comella's
Ranked #97 of 283 Restaurants in Newton
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed May 8, 2017

We enjoyed dinner at Comella's. This is a very small place with just a few tables that does a lively takeout business. Food is really good; service is fast; servings are large; very pleasant place. We loved the chicken parmesan and the meatball mess. We want to go back to try the calzone and the pizza.

Reviewed March 30, 2017

Tried Comella's in Melrose recently for catering a party. Great experience. Needed food and was closer to the West Newton location so I ordered the same stuff and boy what a dissapointment. Vegetarian dish had no vegatables and was just overcooked mushy ziti with sauce and cheese. Cost over $30 for something unusable. Called to let them know there probably was a mistake with my order - lots of giggling in the background. Probably the immature counter staff was responsible for problems in the first place. Was told the manager would be contacted. I did get a call back and was told .... much laughing by staff over the phone, that the manager was not going to do anything about my order. DON"T USE THE COMELLA'S in West Newton. The Melrose store was fine - I don't have experience with any of the others. If you like your ziti over cooked to mush and prices at $8 / pound then maybe West Newton is OK.

Reviewed March 13, 2017

I got a large takeout order from Comella's and when I got home, found that some of the order was wrong; we did not get some of the food we ordered and paid for. I wrote them an email, then another, then a third, on their website, which says they'd like to hear from me and that they'd get back to me "shortly." Still have heard nothing. A simple apology was all I was looking for.

Reviewed January 16, 2017

Comella's is a great take-out Italian restaurant. Orders are ready within 10-15 minutes for pick-up or eating in their table area. They also remember your phone number and name so you don't have to say your name more than once - yay personalized service!

They offer hot and cold sandwiches, ravioli of many types (lobster, asparagus, sweet potato, goat cheese, and squash for example), many noodle and sauce combinations, lots of entrees (calamari parmesan, lasagna, stuffed shells), and a few desserts (tiramisu and canoli) which are tasty.

They've also recently started serving beer and wine with meals, and offer lots of drinks including San Pellegrino orange (my favorite!)

My favorites are their entrees with mess or ziti on the side, and any type of mess. So delicious and filling, and always different! A mess is a vegetarian tomato sauce base with included ingredients which vary day to day - veggies, shells, ziti, lasagne, battered fried eggplant, etc. You can order a mess as a side, or as a main dish you can order it with any type of meat or combination (meatballs, shrimp, sausage, etc) or wth veggies, lasagne, stuffed shells, etc. So good! A single portion fills anyone I've taken here absolutely to bursting, and would feed two easily.

They have many portion sizes, so it would make a great place for a big family take-out order to share.

They do automatically add cheese to the sauce, so if you want a lighter dish, tell them to hold the cheese :)

It's a great place for a cheap, quick meal that fills you up with warmth on a wintry evening. The atmosphere is a bit lacking, but it's a takeout place - bring it home to have some more atmosphere if you like, but it's great for friendly talking over a meal. Try it out!

Reviewed November 17, 2016 via mobile

Sorry I don't agree with a lot of the negative reviews. I have and our staff has lunch at comella's a few times every week. Always good, big sandwiches, good pizza and salads. You may get a tiny problem occasionally but they take care of it. When I call, they know my name and what I want. Can't ask much more than that. Highly recommended.