Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel
  • Pool
Charles Hotel(Cambridge)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsexpress buslight sleeperbus stophigher floorboston newtonconvenient locationthe room was nicenew englandoff the highwaylanemaxfenway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

First and foremost the earlier reviews of this hotel are a bit skewed. The hotel used to be a Sheraton and must have gone down in terms of quality. Then a number of people wrote scathing reviews while the hotel was under construction but only a couple of people bothered to mention that little fact. FOLKS - if we are truly going to help each other with our reviews on this site ALL the facts are important to share. And yes there are some not-so-perfect things here - but that's true everywhere.

So here is my review. I phoned when I read those reviews and found out that yes they had been under renovation and it was finished for now. I then asked a friend who lived in the Boston area to drop by and check it out. Got good feedback.

Upon my arrival the front desk staff was very friendly. They explained what perks I was entitled to as a Priority Club member of my ranking which included a small discount on the parking and an upgraded room. If you aren't a member of the loyalty program at a hotel where you might stay then join it when you arrive. Period. The little things do add up.

My room was a decent size although I've had bigger. But I've also had smaller. This is the first time in a long time where, when I had thd Do Not Disturb sign on the door I did not get a knock to verify that I did not want to be disturbed but rather was left alone until I left. (A new trend in many hotels that I find annoying. If I have the DND on the door then your knocking IS disturbing me.) When I came out of my room the 2nd morning the housekeeper was across the hall and asked me if the coffee pods were enough since I had actually finished them. I told her that I normally drink more coffee and that this coffee (Wolfgang Puck pods) was rather weak and she told me she would leave more. And she did. I came back to find enough coffee for my next two days!

The staff when I would come down in the morning was still friendly and always asked how things were and if everything was alright. Now here's the kicker - there was some sort of swim meet going on and the hotel was filled with college kids who were participating. Yes they were rather well behaved but they also spent a lot of time in the lobby and asking things at the desk which raises stress level. The staff handled it perfectly.

Unfortunately Newton is part of Metro Boston and in the last ten years or so I have not managed to stay in a hotel in any Metro area and have parking included. It's always extra. That said I would love to have had a larger discount since I am a top tier member of their loyalty program.

The hotel is located in a neighborhood where one can walk to various bars, restaurants and coffee shops as well as a drugstore, etc. so this is good.

As to the noise - I always ask for a higher floor and while there was some noise I am not sure if it was from the highway below or from the HVAC units that must be on the roof. Either way it did not bother me but rather acted as more of a "white noise" barrier that helped me sleep better.

The only other complaint I had which they resolved fairly quickly for me (and this complaint is true of all hotels these days is that I travel with a computer, cellphone, bi-pap and other electronic devices. Hotel rooms never seem to have enough outlets that are accessible and one would think that, renovating or not, they would install power strips or extra outlets into the wall. These could be done at the desk level (which in some countries is actually the required height for electrical outlets) as well as on the night table. When I mentioned it before going out to dinner they asked if I minded if someone from maintenance went up and into the room while I was out and when I returned there was a powerstrip on the desk - already plugged in.

As to the location - it is indeed right above the Massachusetts Turnpike which meant that within a minute or so I could be on the Pike heading into Boston or out towards Natick or any other place I needed to get to quickly and not fighting a lot of city traffic which in a way made this a huge plus!

Overall it was a relaxing stay at the hotel and the staff were friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This conveniently-located hotel offers a decent value for the money. It is clean, well-appointed, and amazingly quiet, despite it's location right over the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Given that it's NOT in the city, the rate to park in this suburban location seems excessive though.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
flb614, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Foodie021,

Thank you for your response regarding your experience with the Crowne Plaza Boston - Newton, MA.

We are located just a few short miles from downtown Boston businesses and attractions, and I am delighted to hear that you found our location convenient. There are many great places to eat in the area and ceratinly close enough to enjoy what Boston has to offer. We are committed to guest satisfaction and appreciate your feedback. Our renovated rooms are clean and large. Thank you for your comments about parking rates. We will certainly take them into consideration when we set pricing for next year.

We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future. If I can be of any help for future stays please feel free to contact me at fleblanc@cpbostonnewton.com. I sincerely appreciate your business and thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Took a few times around the "block", back down the highway to Washington Avenue and around the "block" again to find the entrance to the hotel. We finally parked on the street and walked a couple of blocks. Lanes and one-ways need to be described better in the directions. Our stay was not quite satisfactory. Upon our arrival, the heat was blasting in the room. Although we shut the unit off, it would go on for 10 seconds and shut off intermittently during the night. Traffic noise as well as the big crack of sunlight between the room shades made for an unrestful night. Can you possibly get functional curtains that COVER the window? We unfortunately stayed at the hotel the same night as large groups of high school students. Navigating through the hotel lobby was a nightmare...the reception desk staff could have made a suggestion to the clueless chaperones to possibly redirect the kids to NOT take over the entire area. But they were just as clueless. The swimming pool....You call that a pool? Hardly adequate for the number of rooms. Won't be back next time we visit the area. And as in other reviews, the parking pass we paid for was never even looked at when exiting the ramp garage.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
flb614, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Diana06798,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. All comments that we receive both constructive and positive are shared and used as a tool to enhance service and future stays for all guests. I am extremely disappointed that your stay was less than satisfactory. Please
know that the service you were provided was not to our standard nor was it acceptable and for that I am deeply sorry. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly via email or phone.

My email is fleblanc@cpbostonnewton.com or can be reached at 617-559-1600.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

The room was very clean BUT the room was unbelievably warm and air conditioner didn't help at all. We asked front desk for a box fan and the concierge wouldn't even look up at us, told us they weren't available and carried on with his computer screen. Also, extremely loud as the highway runs underneath the hotel. We heard Mass Turnpike traffic from the 12th floor all night. Parking rate was an outrageous 1/3 of the price of the room. Dissatisfied with staff and wouldn't stay for an extended period but if you need a clean place to crash for a night in Boston, it's decent for the money.

• Stayed: March 2012
flb614, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear blackstarfall,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about the Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton. I would like the opportunity to speak with you about your concerns about one of our associates in order for us to coach and counsel the appropriate staff member as well as address the HVAC issue in your guest room. We greatly appreciate your cantor and take these commments very seriously. I will also pass along your comments to our housekeeping team as to your mention of how you thought the room was very clean. I can be reached at fleblanc@cpbostonnewton.com. We know that you have many choices when it comes to lodging and value your loyalty to the IHG brand.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I had a fine time at this hotel. The price I paid was very good. The room was on the small side but nicely redecorated, and the bathroom had those heat lamps in the ceiling. There is the problem of traffic noise, but I turned on the heater/airconditioner, and the drowned out the noise from outside. Parking is an additional cost. You get a traditional Boston welcome, no big smiles, no butt kissing but fine. There was a problem with a noisy party in the next room, but that was quickly solved, and they did not charge me for internet access. There is a Whole Foods market a ten minute walk away as well as Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts and restaurants. There are several options for getting into Boston including an express bus outside and commuter rail in Newtonville as well as a local bus which is probably not the best option. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
flb614, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear SteveBoston,

I want to thank you for taking the time in sharing your comments on your recents stay here at the Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton. As you have mentioned there are several places to eat in the area as well as easy access to Boston by either an express bus or the commuter rail which is located just a short distance away. All of our guestrooms have been renovated and we do have room types which would offer you more room. There is a charge to park in the garage that is located next to the hotel which is at a cost less than that of parking in the city of Boston. I am sorry that you found the staff to be not so friendly but can assure you that your comments will be shared amongst our associates. We are in the world of customer service and look forward to being your host hotel in the future. Again, thank you for chosing the Crowne Plaza Boston-Newton.