“Good Coffee With Social Responsibility”
Review of Haymarket Cafe

Haymarket Cafe
Ranked #14 of 149 Restaurants in Northampton
Reviewed September 14, 2017

I love college towns. The businesses do such interesting things. Haymarket Cafe is no exception. I walked right past that ubiquitous chain coffeehouse to this narrow sliver of a place. They have three outdoor tables, accessed by going down the fire escape. To my delight, they make their own chai and it isn’t too sweet. It could have been a little spicier, but still, better than most. By the cash register, in place of a tip jar, is a jar for donations to help cover the sliding scale pricing for the restaurant. Noting the stairs, I looked one level down and discovered a whole restaurant. So, the employees don’t get tips from a jar. Rather, they forego that possibility by supporting those who must past a small amount for their food. A sign informed me that in August the jar accumulated more than a thousand dollars. I added my two bucks. I had just settled down to a chai, a sudoku puzzle, and a piece of gluten free tart when my cell phone rang. My wife would pick me up in ten minutes. Shoot. I could have spent the whole day there, but we had other plans. I look forward to coming back on my next annual visit.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

Hay Market makes my favorite cookies in the Northampton area. We love their baked goods and we love their coffee, however we find the pandhandlers outside annoying. Luckily there are good bakeries/coffee in Northampton so I can avoid this.

The Haymarket people are good people though and try to help the poor in the area.

Reviewed August 16, 2017

This place has been going strong for years. It appears small from the Main Street entrance, and then you walk in, and Voila! It is spacious on the main floor and on the ground floor. The owners pay their staff a higher wage than most places. The staff are wonderful.

Reviewed July 11, 2017 via mobile

You order at the window which was a tad confusing at first. Service was fairly quick and good was very good. Lots of menu options, vegetarian and otherwise.

Reviewed June 21, 2017

They have an interesting menu that also contains the basics. The food is always fresh and healthy. Even my meat eating friends really enjoy the food. Great smoothies, sweets, and a chill atmosphere to top it off. The staff is paid a living wage and don't accept tips. Great place to work on a laptop.