“Best B&B in Western Mass.”

The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Northfield B&B and Inns
Alexandria, VA
“Best B&B in Western Mass.”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The Centennial House is simply the best of the best if you are travelling to Western Massachusetts. It is a charming Colonial with several large private rooms - each one unique and special in its own way.

My wife and I have stayed numerous times at the Centennial House and have loved each visit. Joan and Steve provide such a warm and welcoming setting and their breakfasts are terrific!

Northfield is a wonderful small town that has the distinct advantage of being off the beaten path but within close driving proximity to historic Deerfield, Brattelboro, VT, the Berkshires, etc. Situated right on the Connecticut River, Northfield is an ideal spot if you are vacationing in that part of the country.

I could not recommend a B&B more than the Centennial House.

Room Tip: Best room is the Deefield Suite - especially if you have kids (second room) - but our other favorit...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Southbury, CT
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Mu husband and I stayed here for a quick get-away and enjoyed it so much. The Innkeepers are lovely people and Haimish the dog is friendly and sweet. The breakfast was delicious and the room perfect. The house is wonderfully restored. Be sure to take a walk along the historic main street to see all of the wonderful old homes. Would definitely recommend it and the surrounding area for a get-away.

Room Tip: Strawberry Banke room was wonderful
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We arrived tired and hungry to a warm welcome from Joan and Steve and Hamish, their Corgi. Steve carried our luggage up to our room; Joan made reservations for an early dinner at the Gill Tavern for us. It is a wonderful historic house in a beautiful area, central to Old Deerfield, Greenfield, Shelburne Falls and the rest of the Pioneer Valley. We will definitely return here on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Our family gathered from all over the United States in Northfield for the wedding of our son and his bride early this month. The Centennial House provided a "safe haven" of serenity and joy for a big part of the family, capped by a 50+ attendee "goodbye brunch" on the Sunday after the wedding.
Joan and Steve provided us with a superb venue for the brunch, spilling from the sun porch out onto the back lawn and gazebo, with a delicious hot and cold buffet for our final gathering before everyone headed home.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, and have unique features to make it fun for various combinations of relatives -- parents, children, grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters -- making it ideal for our family to reunite around the wedding.
We recommend Centennial House enthusiastically!

Room Tip: All types -- see their website for details
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Ingleside, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is one of the oldest houses in Massachusetts, I think and they have done a great job converting it for B&B. Our two-room suite was very private and had a jetted tub to relax in after a long day of fall colors and shopping.
The breakfast was very good and different each morning
The owneres provided great recommendations for a rainy day, sunny day, etc and provided coupons for some of the sites.
Very easy drive to Brattleboro, Vt where the artisan shops exceeded our expectations.
Just wish the attractions in the area stayed open through the end of October. We were there for peak fall colors, but couldn't do a river boat or train trip because they had closed the weekend before for the year

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a room for our 3 year anniversary, and it was nothing short of perfect. Joan & Steve, the owners, made us feel welcome immediately. We stayed in the Northfield room, and the bed was heavenly. Most comfortable thing I have ever slept on! Everything felt clean and fresh. As we were the only two guests that night, I cannot vouch for how things run when it is the busy season, but we loved every minute of our stay. There were homemade chocolate chip cookies for us upon arrival and an even more amazing breakfast in the morning that included fresh fruit, apple tart, home-cooked omelets and bacon! Dinner at the Gill Tavern (only about 10 minutes away) was a perfect way to spend the evening as well. We would go back in a second!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I highly recommend The Centennial House.

My husband and I visit my daughter, a student attending Northfield-Mt. Hermon School, at least twice each year. I love staying at the Centennial Inn, where I am always greeted warmly by the innkeepers, Joan and Steve, and feel like I am coming to a home instead of a cold hotel. I travel from far away and they always accommodate my late arrivals with a smile. The rooms are lovely, cozy and charming. But seriously? I come for the breakfast: Yummy scones, fresh apple tarts, oatmeal, omelets, and more. There is a different menu each day and each meal is great.

The website computer booking system is fantastic, much more convenient that other small B & B’s. It works instantly to let you know if you have successfully booked a room and is easy to use.

The innkeepers have suggestions for activities and dinners in the surrounding area and I always enjoy trying new restaurants that are not part of a nationwide chain. One of my favorites is The Gill Tavern, located very close by. I also explore the neighboring towns for antiques and unique crafts when I have come a few days early before parent weekends.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
18.4 km away
34.5 km away
Hotel UMass
Hotel UMass
#1 of 3 in Amherst

Been to The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!