“great pre show dinner spot”

Not Your Average Joe's
Reserve with OpenTable
Not Your Average Joe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Norwell
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 53
Reviewed February 11, 2018

My Mother-In-Law gave us tickets to see a show at the Norwell Community theater recently so I went on Trip Advisor to find near by restaurants to have a pre show dinner.
I settled on Not Your Average Joe's. We had never eaten at this chain before and liked the fact that they took reservations. Things did not start well when we first arrived. Even though we had made reservations prior we were seated at a two top table directly behind the hostess area, and in view of the front door. This was further compounded by the very wobbly table we were left with. I called for the manager as he walked by after seating us and asked to be seated at another table, reporting the table problem to him as the reason. He immediately took us to a nice booth away from the front door. Once seated, things improved rapidly. Cocktails ordered from the bar menu were delicious, mine particularly so, a take on an Old Fashioned with a touch of Maple syrup. Wife started off with their Ahi Tuna Won Tons. According to her "the best she has ever eaten". Perfectly prepared tuna slices on crispy fried Won Tons. I went with the Wedge salad with was very good as well. Not slathered with dressing like many restaurants make the mistake in doing.
I settled on the grilled steak tips for my entree, perfectly prepared medium, that came with simple home made mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans. Only complaint here was green beans could have been cooked longer, they bordered on raw. Wife ordered their 4 cheese pasta dish that she loved, only complaint was it was a tad over baked but she loved it all the same. Dessert was their take on sticky toffee cake with ice cream which we split, delicious. We also ordered our favorite wine with dinner, St. Michele Reisling. Over all, a very good meal. Server was excellent as well, friendly, professional, and knowledgeable about the serving sizes and menu items.
And the restaurant is a 5 minute drive from the theater, right off of Rte 3. Extremely convenient.

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

We typically enjoy NYAJ’s but this evening was a disappointment. I ordered the large pork chop with arugula and risotto. The risotto and arugula were sparse. The chop was huge and dominated the plate. However, it was a little under-cooked. I should have sent it pack. But, the place was busy and we had been waiting awhile for our orders to arrive. My companion’s dish was satisfactory.

Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

Out with colleges for lunch, this place is a good choice.

The food are fresh and very tasty. The serving are quick - perfect for business lunch.

The complimentary bread with garlic oil is a very good appetizer- almost addictive.

Reviewed January 9, 2018

I signed up for a wine pairing dinner and enticed a friend to come along. Good thing I did because if I had tried to tell people that I just had 5 delicious small plates of food, paired with some very nice wines and served by an EXCELLENT staff for $34.99, no one would believe me.
I'll admit to being a bit of a food and an even bigger wine snob but I would have to say this was a truly delightful culinary evening.
From the goat cheese & beet salad with spice scented poached pears, the butternut & ricotta filled cannelloni, the cod with yummy spinach, chorizo & beans, the (pièce de résistance in my estimate) duck breast over creamy polenta with crispy prosciutto & artichoke heart (definitely should be a permanent menu item) ending with a perfectly prepared profiterole filled with praline ice cream & splashed with decadent chocolate sauce & accompanied by an artfully prepared mini expresso martini. How much better can it get? Well, each plate was accompanied by a lovely wine selection that ranged from Prosecco, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, a hearty red Zinfandel and the aforementioned martini respectively. Couple all this with the wonderful & knowledgeable service from our waiter, Zach and the other wait staff and there were BRAVOS all around from the 20+ guests here this evening. A special shout out to the shy chef who opted not to come to the table to accept our grateful thanks but instead sent his back to us via Zach. Nice touch!
Sign up for the NYAJ's mailing list. Not only will you get a notification for events of this kind, you get a very generous dining coupon on your birthday. Win-win folks :)

Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

I've eaten here several times and the food has always been good. Stopped for lunch. Bread and dipping oil was good as usual; the rest of my meal was pretty bland. I had a special beer battered fish sandwich with fries and coleslaw. There didn't appear to be any seasoning on either the fish or the coleslaw. I realize haddock is a mild fish, but a couple of spices would have added a little something extra. The homemade tartar sauce was very thin, very few pickles, and again no taste. The restaurant wasn't crowded and there seemed to be plenty of servers, but service was very slow and my server was not very attentive. For $14 I expected more from this lunch. Very disappointed!

Been to Not Your Average Joe's? Share your experiences!