All reviewssummer campping pongfront porchno liftthe ac unithotel is newly renovateddouble queenalready planning my returncanteen areaadjacent buildingfree coffee and tearent beach chairs and umbrellastiny houseroad raceseltzer waterporch overlooking the harborperfect location
Reviewed October 12, 2016 via mobile

For our fifth annual fall girls weekend, we chose Martha's Vineyard. A few of us had never been there and it was a real treat! We stayed in Oak Bluffs at Summercamp and couldn't have picked a more perfect location!! We had two rooms for the six of us, two queen beds in each room and we ended up on different floors. Very comfortable beds with a nice bathroom and charming decor. Very clean and quiet. The lobby area is very inviting with an eclectic decor and warm, welcoming areas to sit and relax. The hanging wicker chairs were our favorite. There are games to play and complimentary coffee, tea and Sparkling water, encouraging social interactions and lots of lounging! The porch is also very inviting; however, our weather wasn't too cooperative. The staff at Summercamp couldn't have been nicer!! After exploring the island, Oak Bluffs was our favorite town...after all, it's where you find Back Door Donuts!! No Really, you go to the back of the building to the Back Door, and wait in line for donuts to die for!! We also rode on the oldest carousel- felt like kids again!! In spite of the weather we walked on the beach and explored the harbour, as well as shopped in the interesting and well priced shops. The restaurants and shopping are all within minutes of the hotel. A quaint gingerbread house village surrounds the hotel and I think exploring this adorable village was one of my favorites of the trip. Because of the time of year, many shops had already closed for the season and most of the houses in the gingerbread house village were vacant. Still truly enjoyable to explore! I will definitely visit Martha's Vineyard again and I plan to stay at Summercamp in Oaks Bluffs! Why change something so perfect!!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank 1652lakegirl
Abbey H, Public Relations Manager at Summercamp Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2017

We're so happy to hear that you spent your annual girls weekend with us on the Vineyard! It's great that you all enjoyed your comfortable rooms, as well as both the hotel amenities and decor. We're thrilled to hear that you had such pleasant interactions with our great staff and we look forward to seeing you again for another getaway!

Reviewed October 4, 2016 via mobile

I read some of the bad reviews and was hesitant to book a stay here but it turned out better than expected. I picked it primarily for its location and that was spot on. Although I believe it also depends on the room you get.

I stayed in the other building with elevator but I actually never used it. The first room I got had just been cleaned and the bathroom was overwhelmingly bleached. They changed my room and that one was great except when I went to sleep that night, I realized there was a strange smell coming from the duvet and pillows. I couldn't figure out if they were dirty or over bleached. I flipped the duvet to another side and picked a pillow that didn't smell so much. I think they were just not washed or at least not well enough. But I was staying just 2 nights and did not want to move rooms again.

The good points are the staff, they are very friendly and helpful and the front porch and lobby are gorgeous. The views from the porch can't be beat.

I would rate the location and staff as very good. But cleanliness not so good.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2016

Read and pay attention to the negative reviews. The rooms are small but most importantly the mattresses are lumpy and unsupportive and the sheets are polyester....we were so uncomfortably warm, even with the AC on 66 degrees (the lowest setting), that we tied the sheet to the post above the air conditioner so cold air would circulate under the sheets. We've still been up most of the night. And don't take a room on the first floor by the street....we were initially assigned a room on the 4th floor but when we discovered upon arrival there was no elevator, given our heavy luggage we opted for the first floor, and we've been listening to cars all night.....it seems we're on a major road with nonstop noise. Oh how we wished we had researched this more carefully

Room Tip: Don't take a first floor room on the road. Don't take a 4th floor room if you have heavy luggage because there is no elevator
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2016

We stayed three nights on our boat in Oak Bluff's. The hotel lets you use their showers for $20. You get a fresh towel, shampoo, conditioner and soap. Loved it and highly recommend! Private and clean.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2016 via mobile

Pluses:

Staff & customer service: We didn't need anything unusual, but the people at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating every time we interacted.

Location: It is directly across the street from the harbor. Extremely short walking distance from all the shops and restaurants.

Modern: The building is extremely old. You can tell it's old by the outside appearance. When you enter the historic Victorian-style building, you walk into the 21st century. There was an apple laptop on desk for the staff to check us in. There are various iPads around in random locations for use by staff and guests. There was reference to an in-room iPad on the mirror in our room, but no iPad in the room.

Decor: Quirky. Someone called it hipster in a previous review. I don't know if I'd say that. I'd consider it unusual, camp-like (kinda what you'd expect I guess).

Minuses:

The room:

Beds were not comfortable! While I like camping, if I'm paying such a premium rate for an offseason hotel room. I expect my bedding to be more comfortable than laying on the forest floor.

Bathroom was seriously lacking! No exhaust fan, which leads to a cumulonimbus cloud forming while you shower. The shower door did not seal, which allowed a pool of water to collect in front of the shower.

No cable? Really?!?!?!?! I understand people don't go to Martha's Vineyard to watch TV, but for the cost, one expects the bare minimum amenities of a 1 star hotel when you spend what we did for an off-season hotel rental.

No free wifi. Well... sorta. If a hotel advertises free wifi, one would expect to be able to access it without much effort. Why should I have to call the front desk to get get the password for the universal free wifi? They didn't tell us the password at checkin. They didn't include it anywhere in the room... do I really need to call to get the free wifi password?

No iPad in the room... which I would never mention, because... why would there be? EXCEPT... there's a sign in the bathroom that says there IS an in-room iPad... so... where is it?!?!

Nothing. That's right. Absolutely nothing else. There is nothing else in the room. No closet. No furniture. No...thing. I get the theme of camping, but you're not ACTUALLY camping. You're paying a high price for almost nothing...

I looked at the reviews before we went. I thought the low ratings were expecting too much. After experiencing it, I'm wondering whether the high ratings were from the hotel itself. There's some charm in the lobby, they give you complimentary coffee, and the staff is friendly, but that does not earn anything higher than 2 stars when there's NOTHING else to be impressed with.

As a child, I LOVED summer camp. I was even a camp counselor for 3 years in my 20s!!! The Summercamp hotel... not impressive.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business