“Great Market and Cafe Owned and Staffed by Great People”

Karl's Sausage Kitchen
Ranked #2 of 181 Restaurants in Peabody
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: European, German, Swiss
Description: Karl’s Sausage Kitchen & European Marke is well known throughout New England for its authentic old-world European sausages, cold cuts and smoked meats, made on the premises with the finest meats and spices. They also stock imported products jams, jellies, chocolates, cheeses, pickles, cookies and bread in their grocery. They also offer a European Cafe, where customers can enjoy sandwiches, grilled sausages, traditional German fare and imported and beer and wine before stocking up on meats and imported goods to take home.
Reviewed September 9, 2018

The home made sausages and meats are fantastic. The sausages, in particular, are clearly made by an artist with attention to detail and pride (the best nurnbergers I have had). The dishes in the cafe are very tasty (my favorites are the schnitzel sandwiches, spaetzle and potato salad). Pair it with a boot of beer and leave well satisfied and happy!

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Great German food and fabulous deli! Lentil soup is outstanding. The staff is friendly and the service is very good.

Reviewed August 16, 2018

I am of German decent and so I am a little impartial when it comes to German food.This place has it all.Meat and sausage to buy to take home,German grocery and European grocery items including a large selection of chocolate and candies.It has German Baked goods including bee stings and strudel.They have a good selection of beers ( we tried a beer flight) and they have the BOOT ( you know if you are German).But the greatest thing is their little restaurant.WOW.My wife got the Black Forest ham sandwich with cucumber salad and semmelknodel ( small bread dumplings) I got the pork schnitzel sandwich with bacon,marinated red beets with onion and spatzle.All was delicious.If you enjoy German food at all than you must visit this shop.

Reviewed August 11, 2018

So this review is not about the food because we have eaten here before and the food is amazing. The review is about the employees and lack of customer service. We visited there this afternoon 8/11/18. Took a few minutes to seat us and then 15 minutes to get a server to take our drink order. Ok no big deal. They were busy! The problem was when I told the server I had some food allergies. I have eaten the sauerbraten there before and really had a craving for it. She told me it was not gluten free. The chef uses potato starch for thickening. I told her potato starch was not gluten and was safe. She spoke with the chef again who said it was gluten. The server told me I would have to choose something else. I didn't go to Karl's for the sausage. My point in this review is to say that if you advertise gluten free, everyone in your restaurant should be educated in all aspects of allergens. Your chef was clearly uneducated in this area. This was a big switch from the last time we visited. The server that time was amazing and the chef even came out to speak to me. That is customer service not what we received today. We left before ordering!

Anita G, Owner at Karl's Sausage Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2018

Dear Enzalina,
Please accept our apologies for the issues at the store last Saturday when you tried to order the sauerbraten. As you noted we were very busy in the store and the café on Saturday. You had a new server Carlotta who is very through but still learning.

As you know, our sauerbraten and gravy are indeed gluten free. We purposely make it with corn starch. The entire dish as we have it designed on the menu Is not gluten free- as it has a bread dumpling with it. This is a traditional pairing. Carlotta was concerned about your allergy and asked one of our chefs to clarify. Clearly there still was some miscommunication about the answer. Please accept my apology for this. I will be sure to train all of our current servers, managers and chefs about this nuance on our menu.

Thank you for your understanding.
Anita Gokey

Reviewed July 20, 2018

This long time establishment several years ago added small dining area which serves up largely German dishes, but a few other European dishes as well. The wursts are fantastic and very well prepared. the sides, cucumber salad, spaetzle, red cabbage, sauerkraut, etc are just as well prepared. have a sidle of beer since they serve several kinds and you are in Germany. In addition they sell their house made wursts and a wide variety of European meats and cheeses.

In addition they have a very good selection of there delicacies, including Austrian Jams, Polish pickles and more.

Been to Karl's Sausage Kitchen? Share your experiences!