“Not a Lot of Choices on Our Route”

Hungry Bear Restaurant French River Trading Post
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Alban
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed January 20, 2019

Traveling from Sault Ste. Marie to Parry Sound on this day, we were not finding many lunch choices. We stupidly bypassed Sudbury and then realized we needed washroom and lunch. We found the washroom in a small gas station in Estaire. Being located off the new highway, the gas station was obviously struggling. The owner pointed us in the direction of the\Hungry Bear for lunch. We ended up sharing a clubhouse sandwich, some butter tarts and chocolate milk. This fit the bill for the moment. The location was obviously the main tourist stop in the area.

Date of visit: September 2018
Write a reviewReviews (77)

Reviewed September 17, 2018

I found the prices very high for the type of food you get. I guess this can be expected at a tourist stop. We each had a very small ice cream cone. Quite pricey, as they sell by weight, not by the scoop like other places.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 20, 2018

Let me start off with the ugly. When I am on holidays I don't want to witness restaurant staff bullying and demeaning other staff. One young man thought he should walk out to another young man on his break and publically chastise him for waiting for icecream in a buzy line. Hey he was a paying customer waiting his turn. I felt badly for the boy, it embarrassed him but he professionally shook it off and went back to work. Not nice to witness.
Lunch was soup and a sandwhich, which was tasty but overpriced. We will go back as we make this a regular stop. I did appreciate the hero wall dedicated to the people helping fight ParrySound33, it was a genuinely nice touch.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Our family has been going here for years. Meals are great value and staff is great. Breakfasts are the best. Make sure you get ice cream when you drop in.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank otth2oskier
Reviewed August 4, 2018

We went for breakfast on Sunday—just the previous day the place was encompassed by smoke coming from the Key River fire (officially called “Parry Sound 33”)—but fortunately, the wind had changed its direction overnight and the sky was perfectly blue.

We had an omelet and a 3-egg breakfast with coffee (free refills), it was very tasty and exactly what we needed after one week of canoeing & camping on the French River. On my way to the adjacent Trading Post I met Hungry Bear & Blueberry Hound who just emerged from their den and were very happy to shake hands and pose for photos!

Date of visit: July 2018