“We stop and visit every time!”

Hungry Bear Restaurant French River Trading Post
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Alban
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed May 9, 2019

We have been stopping here for a quick meal and a little shopping since August, 1988.

On one side, there is the Hungry Bear restaurant. They have an extensive menu written on boards, you choose your food, pay for it and they bring it to your table. There is an ice cream cone bar as well. There is usually two soup pots just waiting. I've had the burgers, the chicken fingers and a club sandwich. I tend to order my faves each time in spite of my intention to try something new.

The other building is a retail outlet for all things Canadiana. Hudson Bay jackets, cute kids jammies, a slew of tshirts including funny ones usually having to do with moose or bears or fish. There are adult coats and footwear. There are some kids' activity toys. Some jewelry. Candles. Soaps, Jams. A multitude of nice things. And last but not least, there is a fudge bar. Who can resist??

We stop on the way to camps up Highway 69 and also on our way home. Highway construction will soon make it necessary to take an exit (but still very visible) to The Hungry Bear but it won't matter to us. This is an awesome place for families to grab a bite and to do a little Canadiana shopping.

There is a lot of parking and an area just for RVs. There is an area to give your dog a little exercise (on leash for safety).

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (77)

Reviewed January 20, 2019

Traveling from Sault Ste. Marie to Parry Sound on this day, we were not finding many lunch choices. We stupidly bypassed Sudbury and then realized we needed washroom and lunch. We found the washroom in a small gas station in Estaire. Being located off the new highway, the gas station was obviously struggling. The owner pointed us in the direction of the\Hungry Bear for lunch. We ended up sharing a clubhouse sandwich, some butter tarts and chocolate milk. This fit the bill for the moment. The location was obviously the main tourist stop in the area.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

I found the prices very high for the type of food you get. I guess this can be expected at a tourist stop. We each had a very small ice cream cone. Quite pricey, as they sell by weight, not by the scoop like other places.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 20, 2018

Let me start off with the ugly. When I am on holidays I don't want to witness restaurant staff bullying and demeaning other staff. One young man thought he should walk out to another young man on his break and publically chastise him for waiting for icecream in a buzy line. Hey he was a paying customer waiting his turn. I felt badly for the boy, it embarrassed him but he professionally shook it off and went back to work. Not nice to witness.
Lunch was soup and a sandwhich, which was tasty but overpriced. We will go back as we make this a regular stop. I did appreciate the hero wall dedicated to the people helping fight ParrySound33, it was a genuinely nice touch.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

Our family has been going here for years. Meals are great value and staff is great. Breakfasts are the best. Make sure you get ice cream when you drop in.

Date of visit: June 2018