All reviews golf break main building pool and sauna lovely surroundings sat nav leisure facilities lovely hotel fantastic stay large room buffet style executive room an overnight stay self service following morning owston hall stayed in the coach house venue
Reviewed May 8, 2018

Stayed here as a gift from friends for a big birthday- room was very spacious with a gorgeous bathroom and lovely views- the room did smell fusty however. The spa leaves a bit to be desired- the water feature pictured in the pool doesn't work (and hasn't for a year ) there were scrappy bits of paper sellotaped all over saying 'don't shave in the spa' etc! most of the locker keys were down to just a key( they should have a strap for your wrist/ankle) - however the treatment area and the massage were lovely. Dinner was in a beautiful orangery and although the crab and prawn starter was pathetic, the main, pudding and service were excellent. breakfast was superb. On check in we had handed over the paperwork our friends had received by email. 22 hours later at check out the receptionist challenged us over a voucher and demanded full payment - we asked why they had waited til checkout to ask us this- we had a phone in our room. What transpires is that I had to call my friend who purchased the break, disturbing her after her night shift, so she could ring Last Minute who confirmed no voucher was issued or required. Why the hotel could not have done that at any point, also baffles me. It spoilt a lovely relaxing break . I have emailed them but had no response.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank whitbylover
Reviewed April 26, 2018 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights for family funeral, staff polite bar very expensive £2.80 for can of coke. I stayed up stairs in the coach house, room was average. Breakfast was also average. When checking out got my receipt for £159 paid in full. Got home to find out they took £180, when asked why was told they would call back this happened 3 times. Still no further forward. Very poor show won’t be back as no better than one of the budget chain hotels. Looks like I nice golf course tho lol.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Lee P
Reviewed April 24, 2018

Stayed here for 5 nights due to working in the area. We had 2 rooms and were located upstairs in the coach house which is situated beside the main hotel. The rooms were a nice size and they seemed quite clean but there were lots of little annoying things that let the place down. The floors were really squeaky so you were constantly disturbed by this, the rooms were VERY hot, uncomfortably so. I had to go and stand outside in the mornings just to get away from the heat of the rooms. The windows didn't open or close very easily and these were not very clean so it wasn't pleasant touching them. The fan in the bathroom was really noisy, this came on with the light. Tea bags were not replenished all week apart from the first day and the safe in both our rooms had been left locked by the previous guests so we had to ask about these. It took 2 days to get the safe sorted so that was a bit annoying.There was no full length mirror in either of the rooms and I find this very unusual as I've stayed in a lot of hotels and that is generally standard. The staff were all pretty friendly, apart from one guy in the breakfast room who didn't seem too enthusiastic. If you're looking to eat here, one or two nights would be ok but the menu is so limited, by the 3rd night we were incredibly bored with it and so found a nice place 10 minutes down the road to get a variety. The breakfast is average, I've had much better breakfasts in premier inns. Some of the mugs were really dirty too. All in all, it's not a bad place, I wouldn't rush to return but that is just my opinion. The little things make a difference to me. The main hotel is probably much nicer. We looked at the photos online, some rooms look really nice, but these are certainly not the ones that we had! Due to return to work in the area again next month but we'll be looking for an alternative.

Room tip: Don't stay in the coach house.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank kelly3times
Reviewed April 21, 2018

What a find! From the moment we arrived, the staff were exceptional! Extremely helpful and friendly. The room was very good, comfortable beds and well appointed en-suite.
Food was very good indeed and bar prices very reasonable for a hotel. The golf course was good and even though the very wet winter mean't some holes were closed and we had to carry our clubs, the golf shop staff loaned us pencil bags and encouraged us to play as many times as we wanted, which we did.
We shall certainly return!

Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

Can honestly say this hotel is well worth the money, rooms were of a very high standard and the surrounding gardens were exceptional, everything was immaculately looked after this particular trip was for a work stop for one night however I would have no problems returning again with my wife and children

Trip type: Travelled on business