All reviews golf break main building pool and sauna lovely surroundings sat nav leisure facilities lovely hotel fantastic stay large room buffet style executive room an overnight stay self service following morning owston hall stayed in the coach house venue
Reviewed July 4, 2018

I visited Owsten hall last week for a 1 night stay during a business trip. I don’t generally look forward to staying away as you can’t beat home comforts however on this occasion I was more than happy! The drive up to the property is stunning as the grounds are well maintained and the hotel is beautiful with plenty of parking which is always a bonus. The staff on reception were welcoming, friendly and gave me all the information I could possibly need regarding my stay. The room was spacious and airy (perfect on a boiling hot day!), clean with a modern bathroom and powerful shower. The bed was very comfortable and the room quiet so I had a great night stay. The facilities in the hotel and second to none, spa and gym all look new! I enjoyed a local gin (from vast offerings) in the lovely garden and the barman was attentive as well as helpful. Breakfast consisted of a buffet with fresh produce, really tasty! Chef was happy to cook me poached eggs from scratch and they were exactly how I’d ask for them (doesn’t happen often!). Overall a fantastic stay with amazing service and I’m looking forward to my next visit. Thanks for such a wonderful stay.

Room tip: The modern rooms in the main house are lovely
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2018

Wow is all I can say! When 1st arriving at the hotel we were greeted with a very warm, professional, friendly and informative welcome by reception. The room was clean, spacious with everything you could possibly need for a comfortable stay and I slept like a log. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well kept. I was extremely impressed with the gym which was modern with ample and modern equipment, the swimming pool looks very new and was stunning (if I lived closer, I would definitely become a member) the facilities are fantastic! I enjoyed a 3 course meal in the evening which was superb as well as reasonably priced, again the staff were attentive and great. Having stayed in many hotels whilst on both business and personal trips I am particularly looking forward to my next stay at the Owston Hall, I might even take up golf so I have an extra excuse for a trip! I highly recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2018

Bedroom was lovely and spacious, everything worked. Staff were brilliant, couldn’t have been more efficient and friendly. Golf course was in good condition, just needed some t l c, like better signage. Would do it again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank tonyanthoney1944
Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Found this place as I wanted somewhere quiet away from the town with a gym.

Nice impressive old building with some modern parts but sympathetic to the character of the place.
Resturant and bar are well stocked and nothing to moan about there.
Staff are in the main pleasant and helpful
The gym and pool are also good.

Couple of bad points, even though there is air conditioning in some rooms it doesn’t work, I mentioned this at the front desk to be told defensively “ we don’t advertise the rooms have aircon” I had to ask for a fan for the room rather than be offered one, as it was very warm in there.

Minor gripe but an annoying one, in room brew making facilities weren’t re- stocked with tea bags one day, this was frustrating after getting back from work at 2230 and wanting a cup of tea!

Another gripe is that their is an ashtray / smokers area at the bottom of the steps outside the main entrance, it’s not pleasant walking past smokers standing out front of the main door smoking away, this point should be moved away from any building entrance.

Most annoying thing was after a late night working and wanting a lay in, the hotel staff arriving at 06:30 woke me up with their car stereo blasting away ( remember the room was hot so I had windows open!)

These are easy fixes for the hotel and if it wasn’t for these I’d give the hotel 4 out of 5, and 5 out of 5 if they fix the air conditioning.

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Breakfast was very good but that's it. The course was shocking - several temporary greens in mid June (!) which themselves were worse than those at my own club in mid winter. Fairways badly needed cutting and the rough was ridiculous - 2-4 feet high and impossible to find a ball let alone play it. They insisted we play off the yellow tees which meant a 5000 yd track. It was very cheap and I can see why, but not in the least bit enjoyable. We are a golf society who've played 40+ courses over 20 years - this was far and away the worst.

Trip type: Travelled with friends