“Gotta Love The Fried Ice Cream!”
Review of Sam Diego's

Sam Diego's
Ranked #39 of 222 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2017

I started with the Ribs and Wings Appetizer Combo and Salsa and Chips intentionally leaving room for the Fried Ice Cream. The combo was fantastic and the chips are lightly fried, thin and crispy. Loved them but the best part was the Fried Ice Cream. Vanilla Ice Cream rolled in crumbs, quickly fried and served in a deep fried cinnamon tortilla with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and a cherry. It was worth every calorie!

Reviewed March 31, 2017

Been to this restaurant about 8 times and it satisfies my desire for Mexican food. The food is good, I like the warm tortilla chips and cold salsa that they serve, and the Margaritas are flavorful.

I generally get a combination plate which usually consist of something like a taco, an enchilada & a burrito served with rice & beans. The combo plates offer a good variety of flavors and are filling.

My Wife always gets the Fajitas because she's not really a fan of Mexican food and the fajita can be made the way she wants it. Although, if you want guacamole you will have to order it on the side since it's not served with the fajitas, and my Wife always forgets about this detail, so she just goes without it instead of waiting for it to arrive while her food gets cold.

Based on my experiences here I will continue to visit this restaurant. It's not my favorite, but it's closer than some of the other Mexican restaurants that I like, and it hits the spot when I'm in the mood for this type of food.

The biggest downfall is trying to find a parking spot. There is a lot nearby but it's almost always full, and finding a spot in the street is complete luck of the draw. There have been times when I just gave up trying to park and went to a different restaurant all together.

Reviewed January 21, 2017

I ate at this resturant in spite of a friend telling me that the few times she had eaten there the food was not very good. So I decided to go to the upstairs bar. I ordered two margarittas, I was at the opposite side of the bar and watched the bar tender make the drinks, as she poured I counted, saying that it was a two second pour is being generous. I asked the bar tender when she brought both drinks to me which cost 20.00 $ if she does a two second pour? She stated no, it was a five second pour! She got very defensive and became unprofessional and said i was being rude very loudly ensuring everyone at the bar could hear her throwing a fit, she further stated in a very loud voice if you don't like it go someplace else. As someone who owened a tavern for 8 years, I just expect a fair drink for my money, to inquire as to the establishments policy on drinks is not rude, it is just my right as a consumer

1  Thank Michael Y
Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

Really awful is my take on this place, a choice intended for a simple meal of grilled fish tacos.

The food served was so horrible that the waiter didn't even ask how it was. She knew.

The cold, dried out tortillas, the flavorless fish ($4 up charge if you want grilled not fried) with the suspicious smell, the beans straight from a can and the rice straight from the 'Spanish Rice' freezer bag were surpassed only by the $5.98 charge for two club sodas.

It is truly a sad and ineffective establishment. I urge you to consider other choices. 7-11 frozen burritos would be better.

1  Thank Travel2030
Reviewed January 11, 2017

Karaoke Monday is where it's at if you're in you're early 20's or simply love the young crowd. Both floors have a bar. The first floor is great for families or dining outside and the second floor is perfect for large groups to purchase drinks and play pool/billiards with friends. The pool tables could use some repairs but all in all the drinks are well priced and the service is consistent.

Been to Sam Diego's? Share your experiences!