“Perfect for our needs”
Review of Old Farm Inn

Old Farm Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockport
Old Farm Inn
Ranked #23 of 24 Rockport B&B and Inns
Millburn, New Jersey
“Perfect for our needs”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This B&B came highly recommended by a friend, and it lived up to our expectations. The rooms were clean, nicely decorated, and the breakfast was ample and delicious. Never met the proprietor (Shelley) who was very nice on the phone; the person who works for her (Cathy) was wonderful. She was friendly, helpful, and put out a terrific breakfast spread. She answered all our questions about places to go, restaurants to patronize, etc., and even lent an empathic ear when I had car problems one morning. The Halibut State Park is next door, and a natural area not to be missed when visiting Cape Ann. The cost of our stay was reasonable and I hope to return with my family in the future!

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, be sure to request a first floor room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gale K

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hinesville, Georgia
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Old Farm Inn. The Inn is located next to Halibut Point , a beautiful state park with incredible views of the coastline. The Inn's rooms are comfortable and well decorated. The rates are very reasonable and include a filling breakfast in the morning. We stayed in the Sunshine Room in the Barn Guesthouse and liked having our own private entrance. The rooms also all have refrigerators. We already are planning a return trip in October.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daisy T
Latham, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I stayed at the Inn with friends for a wedding. When we arrived at the inn, we walked around the grounds for a few minutes looking for someone to greet us, but then we realized that our keys (and directions to our room) were waiting inside on a table in one of the buildings. This lack of presence set the tone for the stay because, during the course of my stay, I never saw the owner. It was nice that we had the house to ourselves, and were able to lounge together in the common areas. However, we were not able to commune with anyone at the Inn to register our complaints, concerns or even be made to feel welcome.

The location of the Inn was useful because it was very close to the park.

After seeing our friends' rooms in the main house, we felt that they were better off than those of us in the barn. Our room in the barn (the Sunshine Room) was a nice size, but it smelled very musty and mildew-y. We immediately opened all of the windows and left them open - this made the smell tolerable. I killed an ant and shared the room with a couple of spiders. There was also a noise, which we affectionately named the Lobster in the Pipes, which is what it sounded like when someone upstairs used the bathroom. One of the chairs in the room was threadbare on the arms, and the carpet was dirty and smelled. The sheets and towels also smelled very musty. We would have requested new ones, but I never saw a soul who worked there until the following morning, at breakfast.

There was a young girl serving the breakfast, which was one notch above continental. Also, breakfast was served for a short time and ended fairly early, so I was up earlier than I would have been to get a bite to eat. I also saw the people who cleaned the rooms one morning, but I had to turn them away because it was too early. They did not return.

Additionally, I booked this room in January and learned that the room was double-booked when I called to confirm in July. The owner offered the smallest room at a discount as an alternative. After a few more moments of discussion, the owner admitted that her largest room was available, and said she would give it to me at the same price as the room I originally booked, but really did not want to do that because she would lose a lot of money. I did not feel that this was an appropriate professional attitude to take, given that my reservation was messed up because of her error and that I had discovered it only through my own diligence.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marissa W
ShelleyVass, Owner at Old Farm Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
I am writing in response to the two friends who have submitted the next two reviews. The arrangement in the beginning for your wedding group was to leave the keys out so guests could arrive at any time. In addition, I did apologize for my mistake double booking your room and when you discovered my mistake several weeks before the wedding, I offered the small room, "Dillon's Room", or to find another room for you elsewhere. There was still plenty of time. I was at the Inn many times over the weekend, however, your group was out at wedding events. My phone number is clearly displayed on the check in desk and I never received a call or complaint, neither did the chambermaid or person preparing breakfast. I offer affordable accomodations in Rockport that include breakfast in the morning. The rooms are clean and air conditioned. You were at the Inn during one of the hottest weekends of the summer and I turn the air conditioners off when guests leave. Your rate of $135/night and your friend's rate of $99.00/night is more than reasonable. We have been in business for thirty years and never had this happen. I am sorry you both need react this way and wish you had called me. I would have gladly refunded your deposit and moved you to another hotel.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Came up to Rockport for a friend's wedding, and decided to stay at the inn since it was really close to the reception site. The convenience of the location was probably the only good thing about the place. When we arrived on Friday afternoon, the place appeared to be deserted. There was no one around to greet us or show us to our room. Instead, our key had been left in an envelope by the front door with instructions on how to find our room. The room itself (Dillon's Room) was small and damp-feeling. Incredibly, what looked to have at one point been a closet was converted into a shower stall. The toilet and sink were in one closet, and the shower was in another. You had to leave the closet door open and just pull the shower curtain closed, so it was essentially like showering in the room. The towels smelled awful, as did the linens (mildewy). I think the website advertised that the room had cable television -- the TV was tiny (13"?) and looked to be from the 1970s. The picture quality was terrible and the remote did not work. Granted, we did not travel to Rockport to watch television, but I think this just shows that no care has been put into this place in a long time.

The breakfast was not great, but after not seeing a soul our entire first day there, I was just pleasantly surprised that someone had actually showed up to put the food out. I had to track someone down at the end of our stay in order to settle up our bill.

It is also worth noting that after I initially posted by review on tripadvisor, the owner called me to harass me to take down my review. She did not apologize for the quality of my stay, but instead insisted that I was "killing" her business. When I refused to take down my review, she hung up on me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank BeeKay1980
ShelleyVass, Owner at Old Farm Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
I am responding to some inaccuracies in your review. I see that you and your friend are quite angry that I double booked your room and I am sorry. I take full responsibility for my mistake. You did agree to my solution of taking "Dillon's Room" for $99.00/night. I would like to explain that the reason I only charge $99.00/night is because the room is small and the bath has a unique setup in the 1800's farmhouse. This description is clearly explained on our website. My call to you was to offer to fully refund your stay after reading your review. We spoke for less than 30 seconds and I did not harass you in any way, but explained that I wish you had contacted me if you had any problems. You never did during the weekend, although my number is clearly displayed on the check in desk. The conversation ended when you hung up the phone.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This Inn is so beautiful, cozy and very clean. The Staff was very accommodating and pleasant to be around. I would highly recommend this to friends and Family. Thank you for all your hard work to make my stay wonderful.

Room Tip: Any room. The house keeping Staff kept our room very clean and sent free of smoke, very fresh.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 100Angel74
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We just stayed at the Old Farm Inn at Halibut Point in Rockport and had a WONDERFUL time! The Inn is so quaint and the owners are so nice and accomodating! We stayed in the Sunshine Room....very cheery and comfortable and quiet. In the morning we had delicious breakfasts....eggs, bagels, homemade coffee cakes, french toast and lots of fruit etc. You can eat in the inn or bring a tray back to your room...which we did. The Inn is close to all the action, but far enough to be private and quiet. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The Inn itself has a fascinating history. I love Rockport ...so scenic and beautiful...tons of art to see and wonderful little stores along the coastline. We would highly recommend staying at the Inn!

Room Tip: There is a room with a fireplace!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SG28SB
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Having read the April 25 review and already booked for June I was a little concerned. The inn keeper was present when we arrived. Did not show us to our rooms but were given an envelope with information, registration form, and key. Breakfast was very continental without many offerings.
We asked the staff in the morning what was going on since the grounds we poorly maintained and the entire inn was open without any staff present most of the day.
Apparently the inn has been sold for the land and will be closing. It was apparent that no one had much interested in the guests any longer. The owners visited on occasion but did not acknowledge us. If you do not expect the traditional bed and breakfast experience and don't might caring for yourself this is a good priced and good location option.

Room Tip: The rooms were clean and in reasonable repair.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple