All reviewsbagelsfree continental breakfastsausagethe room was niceprovidence areabreakfast roomrhode islandsofatileborderma
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The property itself is nice, but it's not run very well for being a part of a school of hospitality.
I realize that people are there to learn but some people who know what's going on should be there guiding the new people. Our rooms were not ready until 2 hours passed the published check in time. The desk didn't offer any explanation or apology nor offer any compensation. A cold beverage in the bar restaraunt would have been a nice touch. When we went in the bar I ordered a rum and coke. The bartender asked me if I wanted it "on the rocks" Hello!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Greetings:

Thank you for providing us with an outline of your experience during your recent stay with us. I am terrribly sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the items that you noted, and rest assured that the issues have already been rectified so that no future guests are ever inconvenienced in a similar way.

It is only through the feedback of valued guests such as yourself that we are able to identify areas of concern where we may improve our services and facilities to best meet their needs, and your assistance with this process is greatly appreciated.

If you would be willing to, I would like to speak with you about your experience in further detail and offer appropriate compensation. We seek to provide all of our guests with 100% satisfaction, and I look forward to ensuring this with you personally. Please do not hesitate to contact me via the information below so that we may do so at your convenience.

Thank you again for your feedback, and best wishes for a happy and healthy summer season!

Kenneth Clark
E kenneth.clark@jwu.edu
P 508.336.8700 Ext. 1518
F 508.336.3414

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I read most of the reviews of this hotel prior to booking a room, but decided to stay here anyway despite having some unanswered questions. Here are the things I found out to be very important during my stay that I was previously unclear about. 1) This hotel has 3 floors & is made up of 2 parts...an older section & a newer section. The older section has very narrow halls (3-1/2 feet wide) & DOES NOT have an elevator. I can't tell you how important this fact is after personally hauling my luggage all the way up to the 3rd floor only to ask shortly after for another room on the 1st floor (OLDER GUESTS BE AWARE OF THIS FACT). If you want the use of an elevator, you need to ask for a room in the newer section or do like I did & stay on the 1st floor. The older section also had a very pronounced foul mildew smell in all the hallways that was bothersome, however our room did not smell at all. 2) I had read mixed reviews about the free continental breakfast served daily in the Audrey's restaurant & I have to agree with those who were disappointed. The selections they put out daily just didn't make a whole lot of sense. There were a few misc. stale/dry pastries put out each day, but they were cold & there was no way to heat them up other than a toaster (which you do not put jelly filled pastries in). There was some sliced bread for toasting, but no English muffins or bagels & there was usually only one kind of jelly each day (Orange Marmalade). The only fruit they put out was small cups of sliced melon with blueberries & wouldn’t you know it, I do not care for melon. No bananas, strawberries or anything else you would normally expect. The hot selections were just as bizarre...no meat selections (bacon or sausage). The only thing close was the one day they served quiche with some bacon bits in it. The other days were pancakes & fried potatoes. I also must agree with another reviewer who said that by the time they arrived at the breakfast, the hot selections were almost gone & it took them a very, very long time to refill them, if at all. And the sad thing is we arrived at all different times in the morning (one day as early as 7:00 AM) & found this to always be true. The other disappointing thing is that they were never busy, so in my opinion there was no excuse for not having a well stocked buffet. We saw plenty of workers walking around the restaurant, but they never paid any attention to the buffet. The one day that we arrived a little late (9:00 AM) we couldn’t find any cleaned off tables to sit at, they were all still full of dirty dishes & we had to clear one off ourselves to sit down & eat. I do have to admit that the food I did have was very tasty, so kudos to the cooks, but they really need to concentrate on all of these other areas too. To me this should be the easiest part of serving a good breakfast buffet. All of their other competitors like Country Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn etc. have got them beat by a mile when it comes to serving a good breakfast. Now for the positive things…we stayed in a standard room & I have to say that it was both classy looking & very clean. The beds were very comfortable & the maid service was outstanding. My only complaints with the room was that the bathroom was small & had no counter space at all. We had to resort to putting down the seat on the commode to use it to put our things on. It did have a nice walk-in tiled shower, but the curtain rod needed to be moved in a little closer as it caused water to drip out all over the floor. The other thing was that the table in the room was pushed all the way up against the window & we had to pull it out ourselves just to close the drapes at night. The rooms also DO NOT have a wireless internet connection (wired internet access only), but they did supply a cable. The internet connection in our room worked fine for the first day, but went out & couldn’t be repaired for the remaining 2 days of our stay (this was very disappointing). The attendant at the front desk was very helpful & extremely nice & he even came down to our room to try & fix the connection problem, but was unable to. We were offered a different room, but we decided to stay put since it was our last night. My last complaint was that there was a lot of noise coming from the ballroom on Friday & Saturday nights as they had several parties booked (DJ music thumping until well after midnight). The window failed to filter out most of the noise which also included the loud partiers standing & walking around in the parking lot. I realize that my review of the Johnson & Wales Inn may sound somewhat negative, but the reality is that they were mostly minor inconveniences & that overall I was very pleased with our room, the service we received & also the rate we paid for such a nice room compared to far lesser hotels in this area. The staff was very friendly & attentive to all of our requests. I would stay here again in the future, but would definitely ask for a room in the newer section away from the ballroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section that has access to an elevator & that is away from the ballroom.
3  Thank MRP99
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The hotel was the best bargain we had while on a week trip. Rooms were huge with everything you could want. Only disappointment was we had read all the reviews as culinary students cook here. We did not have anything special, pastries and fruit. Was ok, just from reviews expected a bigger variety for breakfast, Great service,

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Huge room (they gave us a free upgrade), no wifi in the rooms, no elevator but everything was great. Free breakfast but...strange in the choice of food (for the cereal or the jam, etc.)

Reviewed June 7, 2012

When you go somewhere or do something where folks are learning their craft (beauty school haircuts, anyone?) you run some risks of less than optimal results. That thought framed my expectations about the Johnson & Wales Inn. We arrived late (very late, actually), on a Friday night and were met by a couple of front desk clerks with limited command of conversational English and somewhat bewildered by our relatively simple two room reservation. Our bed requests for both rooms were missing from the reservations, so we ended up in rooms not ideal for our travel party. After a frustrating 10 minutes with the front desk staff, I gave up and took what was offered.

Other reviewers mention the distinct smell of the place - it is there. It is not unpleasant, but one of my kids asked if the hotel had been a retirement home at one point, based on that odor. Hallways are unusually narrow, sufficiently narrow to make manuvering one of those large hotel luggage carts into the elevator difficult.

The rooms are a little dated, but the the bathrooms appear to be more recently refreshed. The usual bathroom amenities are in place, as is an in-room coffemaker. Internet in the rooms is free and wired, free and wireless in the lobby. Our rooms (including bathrooms) were clean, and housekeeping during our stay was thorough.

There is an on-site restaurant with limited hours (Audrey's - reviewed separately), and a pretty good continental breakfast was provided with our rooms.

Considering what you can spend in the Providence, RI area, Johnson & Wales Inn represents a good value.

The best hotel I've ever stayed in? Not hardly. Worth a return stay the next time I'm in the Providence area? Absolutely.