2,674 results
All reviews crowne plaza golf course heythrop park country estate stately home two double beds set in beautiful grounds chipping norton brassey restaurant car park executive room manor house conference facilities main restaurant sauna and steam room walk in shower separate building
Reviewed December 28, 2016

We stayed here on Boxing Night - thankfully we were visiting family who live close by rather than hoping for a festive break in a lovely setting. The surrounding parkland is certainly beautiful and the house itself is a nice building but arriving at twilight we did not feel welcomed by a cosy glow! There was a Christmas tree outside with a distinctly underwhelming set of white lights but there was no obvious way into the hotel - all three sets of large wooden doors were shut. When we eventually found our way in the reception is a rather grubby desk in a side room off of the lobby.

The room we were given was on the first floor about as far away from reception as it was possible to get with no lift that we could see. It was a reasonable size and quite nicely furnished with a comfortable bed and a kettle with tea etc.

The bathroom was tastefully decorated though small but attention to detail was lacking - nowhere to put shampoo etc in the shower and hard to put makeup on as when you got close to the mirror the light was behind you.

The bedroom itself wasn't very warm but the bathroom was actually cold - taking a shower was not a happy experience!

The other major disappointment was the view which was of a wall - and a mouldy one at that (see photos). When you book a room in a hotel that enjoys such a magnificent setting I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least a glimpse of greenery!

We'd paid £81 room only having declined the offer of breakfast at £20 per head. When checking out I was asked how my stay was. On hearing that I'd been a bit disappointed with the room the receptionist chose not to investigate any further and asked me to put my PIN into the credit card machine. Happy blooming Christmas to you too!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Stidski
Reviewed December 26, 2016

Disappointed.....we stayed for 3 nights over Christmas...including dinner on Christmas Day, the main room was lovely very festive , open fire , Christmas tree , background Xmas music , mulled wine , father Xmas so all good so far ....our room was huge with high period ceilings and a big en suite bathroom , ....after spending nearly £600 you would expect everything else to be up to standard but it fell well short after that.....drinks are very expensive, a choice of only 3 red or white wines at the bar which start at 23.50 per bottle ! And it was awful ....two places to eat the Brassey bar was awful no atmosphere, on Boxing Day we had wine and to nibble garlic bread £28 in total for rubbish wine and yes two peices of cheap garlic bread worth about 40 p one of which was burnt ...after asking for a refund we were refused ! Manager was summoned and we got or £3.50 back ,,,yes £3.50 for two small peices of bread ....overall we would not stay again , the main house is ok but rooms have seen better days...the bar in the main house is not always open so you have trek to the other bar to have a drink at crazy prices...
On our last night we dined in the Brassey restaurant, again not so good all pre prepared food my lamb was so rare I complained, my wife's chicken tikka was so spicy to the point of being unedible ...
Spa and pool and walk down the road , no room service , all foreign staff apart from management, apart from the festive main room , Xmas dinner was cold we had to get it microwaved lol the room was so busy we had a constant line of people walking past our table on there way to the buffet at nearly £50 per head it was very poor.
We will not be staying again .

1  Thank 303andrewf
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

I had the pleasure of attending a Christmas event here to celebrate a 60th Birthday. The ambiance was fantastic, the service by the staff was second to none, and the food was beautifully prepared and served and tasted delicious.
What a super special treat this place really is.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

We recently held our management conference there, and I have to say it was a pleasure.

Firstly, the auditorium is quite unique for a conference venue and that was a massive pull. The ballroom is a decent size and the breakout rooms are pretty good too. On the whole the hotel is well-maintained, looks great and has nice rooms. For me, the best thing about the venue was the staff. Nothing was too much trouble, they were very professional and welcoming.

I would definitely use this hotel again for business purposes.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed December 20, 2016

This hotel is set in very large grounds with lots of lovely walks. There are several bars, the prices as you would expect are on the steep side.
The standard rooms are little on the small side, but you are only using them to sleep in. They come with hairdryer, fridge and TV.
Not overly impressed with the booking process. Phoned to book the room and quoted the booking code we had been provided for a reduced price. despite calling again and emailing for confirmation it never came.
On arrival checked the price before booking in was told it was at the higher price. To be fair they did only charge the lower price when I explained about the booking discount code.
The Christmas dinner was good, food was cooked well and tasted very good., although my partner did say her prawn and trout cocktail had more onion and peepers in it and very little prawn or trout.

Despite the booking process issues and steep prices it is a nice place to stay and would stay there again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends