“Great Mexican!”

Cantina La Mexicana
Reserve with OpenTable
Cantina La Mexicana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 345 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Mexican, Fast food
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 26, 2017

My son and I dined here on a late Sunday afternoon in November. When we arrived we were the only patrons in the entire restaurant. The hostess/waitress was very nice.

Prior to ordering, waitress brought out complimentary nachos and salsa. We ordered the following: (1) Cocktail: Margarita de la Casa $9, (2) Cocktail: Smoked Cactus $12, (3) Entree - Two Taco Plate Dinners - Chicken Tinga $23.90, (4) App - Tamales $7.95, (5) App - Tostadas de la Casa - Chicken $6.95. The total bill for all of the above was $64 including tax.

There was too much food for only the two of us so we took some home. The food was good. The bartender was very young, and nice. His drinks were prepared well. He said he was learning to master the craft of bartending.

I would visit again!

Reviewed May 12, 2017

We sat at a high top during the afternoon and ordered a pitcher of margarita, chips, salsa, and guacamole. Delicious house margarita and great atmosphere. Family owned and operated. They only charged us for the guacamole so I guess the chips/salsa come as a free appetizer. We also tried their drink of the day which was delicious and elegant. Loved it!

Reviewed November 14, 2016

At the other end OF Union Sq from El Potro is Cantina La Mexicana. Does this small area have enough room for two? I think so. La Mexicana feels a bit more upscale; the drinks are more sophisticated, and the list of tequilas and mezcals is impressive.

The nachos here are pretty exceptional. Fish main courses are ok, but the meat-based tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas are very satisfying. Definitely worth checking out.

Reviewed September 10, 2016

Staying with a friend in Somerville this weekend, my husband and I decided to try one of the many local Mexican restaurants. After reviewing several menus/websites, we settled on Cantina La Mexicana. We tried to order online but I didn't want to sign up for another account that I wasn't sure I would ever use again. So my husband just went there to order. I had the Burro with roasted vegetables and he had the chorizo fajita. Unfortunately I can't comment this time on the service or atmosphere but the food was definitely good!

Reviewed March 15, 2016

Delicious tamales and other authentic mexican fare; everything on the menu is delicious! Service is very friendly and the margaritas are exotic, tasty and POTENT!
My fave mexican food in the area:)