“Nice atmosphere and ambiance”
Review of Rudy's Cafe

Rudy's Cafe
Ranked #95 of 308 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

We had a late night dinner here with a combo platter, chicken taco dinner and chicken skewer on the menu. The service was great and the chips and salsa made the margaritas all that much better. Big portions and reasonable prices for the area.Several blocks away from Davis Square subway.

There are newer reviews for Rudy's Cafe

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Had a couple of beers and food. It's what you would expect from a Tex mex restaurant in that location: not fantastic but reasonably priced and good food. Would go back there

Reviewed 10 September 2016

We've been going to Rudy's for about 30 years, and it has stayed in business for that long because it is uniformly reliable for good Mexican food, margaritas, decent service and a pleasant atmosphere. Not life-changing, but a good choice for lunch or informal dinner.

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

I first discovered Rudy's as a Tufts student more than 20 years ago. It is every bit as excellent today as it was then. Reasonably priced with a diverse menu, everyone can find something at Rudy's. Our favorites are the Enchiladas Verde (which are vegetarian) and Combination Plate 4 which is made up of various items (enchilada, chimichanga, etc). The cheese quesadilla appetizer is great too - be sure to ask for lots of extra scallions if you love them as much as we do. Chips and salsa are free with every meal. The chips are not warm (wish they were) but the salsa is so good that it doesn't matter.

Rudy's is in the Teele Square section of Somerville where there is plenty of metered street parking. The Davis Square T stop is about a 10 minute walk away. Though Rudy's is near Tufts University, there are actually few students there. It's more of a neighborhood place with families, couples and groups of friends. I've heard dessert is good but we have always been too full to try it. The portions are generous and you can count on leftovers to bring home. Strongly recommended.

Reviewed 29 July 2016

Last night my friend and I were hungry, hot and tired, so cooking was the last thing that appealed. Luckily, she knew this great spot in Teele Square, and asked if I wanted to try someplace new.

Walking in, Cheyenne immediately greeted us with a big smile and walked us over to a big booth where we could stretch out and cool down. She returned immediately with waters and gave us a few minutes to peruse the menu. Even more impressively, she returned to refill our glasses before we could even look for her, and asked if we had any questions about the menu.

My friend ordered some guacamole and queso dip to accompany the chips and salsa, while I made up my mind on dinner. Ultimately we settled on the taco combo plate, and a combination platter with a mini cheese/bean burrito, chicken enchilada and beef taco with beans, rice, salad, guac and sour cream. Service was super fast - I swear we had our food come out within minutes, even though they seemed pretty busy for a week-night! At that point, we realized our eyes were probably bigger than our stomachs, and the table was now covered with various tasty dishes.

Cheyenne stopped back again to see how were were doing, as we set into our meals with gusto. I though everything was really good, and though I'm not a Tex-Mex expert, Rudy's definitely hit the spot. My only dissent is that the queso dip could have been a little warmer for my tastes (temperature, not spice). Also, you should love cilantro, because it's in pretty much every dish. My roommate and I also agreed that we would have to return in a less dehydrated state to sample some of the tequila cocktails - they looked so appealing!

TL;DR: food is good and fast, but the service from Cheyenne was absolutely outstanding and made a normal, mid-week meal really stand out!