“Very good & fresh food, great service”

Papagayo Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar
Ranked #72 of 309 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 15 December 2014

We had a family meal at Papagayo at 6pm on a December Sunday. The overall experience was very positive and we would go back.

We all enjoyed the food, which was fresh and hot and appeared in just a few minutes. I had the verde enchiladas and they were tasty. We all thought the salsa (gratis) and guacomole (paid) were excellent. Chips (gratis) were very fresh. I had the caesar salad and it was among the better ones I had had lately. If you don't like anchovies, don't order it since the dressing tasted of anchovies. I loved it. This was basic Mexican food, well-prepared from fresh ingredients. Those who had the veggie fajitas said they were delicious.

Server (Camilo) and others were very attentive. Manager came by the table after the meal to make sure we enjoyed it. In terms of service, this was among the better experiences we've had lately. It's not to say we are high maintenance but Camilo refilled our water glasses 3x without asking and he was available when we had a request.

The place was a bit loud and I imagine it could get very loud if it were full. It was about half-empty when we ate there. My daughters counted 22 big TV screens so there is plenty of distraction.

Value for money
I did not find it especially cheap but since the food was excellent and abundant, I thought it was good value. They charged $1 for an extra (small) bowl of cheese for the fajitas, but since there was an endless supply of chips and the portions were large, that worked fine for us.

Location
I am not sure we would make this a destination since it is in a mall and there is usually traffic. If we were already at Assembly Row, it would be our first choice for food after this good experience.

There are newer reviews for Papagayo Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar

Reviewed 7 December 2014

This was my first time here and I was so happy with everything that we had. First off, the white sangria is some of the best I've ever had - just the right amount of sweetness and the wine is not too overpowering. For the appetizer, you must absolutely try the Sopes de Carne. The menu really doesn't do a good job of describing what it is but it's phenomenally good. The best way to describe them is little puff pastries but made of masa filled with shredded beef, pickled cabbage and some kind of sauce that gives it just the right amount of kick. It's packed with flavor! I wasn't too crazy about the guacamole so that's just a matter of preference. I got the verde enchiladas and it seriously was the best! It wasn't a heavy dish. It was very easy to finish. Again, it was just so flavorful!! They really know how to cook food here. We couldn't fit dessert in so on the next trip I will definitely give on the sweets a try. Definitely give this a try! Not your average Mexican chain restaurant.

Reviewed 18 November 2014

I really liked the green enchiladas, though had to order extra salsa, but once i poured it on top it was perfect. Surprisingly good Margarita (house) and a Tequila list that goes all the way up to $200+ per shot! but not to worry, the Enchiladas were under $20. Good deal

Reviewed 13 November 2014

I've been here a couple times and both times have been great. Their beef and chicken are top quality. Their rice isn't the best but that's probably the only thing I didn't enjoy. Their desserts are top notch too!

Reviewed 22 September 2014

I was at Assembly Row after a late afternoon movie, looking for a place to eat and also maybe watch some of the Sunday night football game. There are 3 places on the Mystic River end of the new complex. The prices were much more reasonable at this new Mexican spot. I love Mexican food, and I will say this is not a standout but the prices and quantity and quality were more than acceptable. I had the enchaladas, which for $10 was a fine meal. I even had room for a little dessert. I tried the flan. I am a big fan of flan, but this was too heavy, more like a crème-brulee than the lighter flan I have found elsewhere, but the presentation and flavor were both excellent. I give the place 4 stars, and would go back again if I was at Assembly Row and looking for a reasonably priced meal.