“Catered Mexican affair extraordinairre”
Review of Rincon Mexicano

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rincon Mexicano
Ranked #116 of 314 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 December 2015

First discovered this jewel after reading several reviews. We were looking for a place to possibly cater a surprise party (off-premises), so I sent the 'forward team' ahead to check it out. Then, my wife and I made the trip down (we're from Maine) to check it out ourselves. Excellent lunch, so I set out to plan a surprise party for 30 people. Lorenzo (the owner) was so pleasant and helpful planning the menu, which had to include fish tacos (one of our daughter's favorites).

Lorenzo was great at communicating with me, and showed up right as planned. While we were busy setting up decorations, he set up his 'kitchen ' and the serving station. Beautifully.

He started us off (as planned) with fantastic guacamole, which he made on-site, pico de gallo, salsa and tortilla chips.

Then came the trays of beautifully presented nachos, one beef, and one vegetarian. The beef nachos were probably the best I've ever enjoyed. He skimped on - nothing! Oh-so-good...

For dinner, we had a buffet taco bar with carnitas, beef, chicken, and a vegetarian option. Lorenzo kept creating plate after plate of extraordinary (and again, beautifully-presented) fish tacos, also offering potato & cheese flautas (OMG), and two different types of quesadillas, along with vegetarian rice and black beans. In addition to all the usual 'additions', Lorenzo had an exquisite salsa verde. Sooo good!

He kept the area filled with fresh food, kept it all immaculate, and was every bit the professional. I can say without hesitation that this place is top-notch and would heartily recommend them!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This small family-run restaurant is a "hidden" gem in East Somerville, within an easy walking distance from Sullivan Square. Upon sitting, you are offered in-house made tortilla chips and salsa that actually has some kick!

The tacos are Mexico city style garnished with cilantro and onions, served with either a salsa roja or verde. The burritos, not a Mexico City food, were disappointing since they lacked the pico de gallo and black beans included in the description.

The chefs know how to cook chicken! The chicken enchiladas with molé is stunning. The molé is truly complex, and the chicken [a combination of white and dark meat] is cooked perfectly. The carnitas plate is the best carnitas I have had in a restaurant in a long, long time. Still just moist, with lots of flavor. The portion is huge with three thee by three cubes of pork. Tostadas arrive with just the right balance of ingredients. Sometimes the avocado is a tad under-ripe.

The charro beans are different each time. Sometimes they have huge chunks of sausage and bacon, and sometimes they don't. When the black beans are available they are delicious.

They also have some shrimp dishes, but an allergy to them means I haven't ever tried them. The owner-chef is very enthusiastic about those dishes however.

The salsas are all excellent. If you don't care for food with some heat, this might not be the place for you. For me? This all makes me very happy.

This is not a tourist destination, but if you are anywhere near this area of town, consider planning a stop at Rincón Mexicano.