“Surprisingly good”

Meju Korean Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Meju Korean Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 318 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Reviewed 16 June 2017

I'm generally not a fan of Korean food, but this was really good. The scallion pancakes were some of the best I've ever had, and the spicy pork plate was delicious!

1  Thank DonJM

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Visited Meju for dinner based on some recommendations from friends and was not disappointed. It was one of the better Korean meals I've had in Boston.

In terms of appetizers, we shared the scallion pancakes and the wings, both of which were very good. For mains, we stuck with bibimbap, the spicy pork was excellent and they also had a poke bibimbap which was a cool twist on the traditional dish.

Ambiance was upscale Korean, with a nice dining room area that wasn't too noisy. They also had a nice selection of craft beers from the area including Night Shift and Aeronaut stuff on tap. Will likely return here to try out some more items from the menu.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Meju has been in Davis Square in Somerville for a couple of years. We had meant to try it sooner, but not being very familiar with Korean food, had put it off. A recent visit proved to be very positive. The place (in a former McDonalds, though you wouldn't know it) is airy, but also very loud. A large group at the bar whooping it up filled the place with noise. But the food was good, starting from a small roasted mushroom dish to the chili pork belly served with small layer of potatoes. The "General Kim's Chicken" (we had the boneless thighs) was sufficiently crispy, but a bit sweet for our taste. (Same can be said for a basil "martini" which had a fresh, herbaceous basil base, but was too sweet, as well as very small in the tiny coupe glass). The spicy pork bowl was pretty generous and very tasty. Even though some complain that Meju is pricy, we thought there was good value for the money and wound up taking some food home for lunch the next day. The food is rather heavy, so this is probably more of a cold weather stop rather than a place for a light meal in spring or summer. Service was attentive. We'll stop in again when fall rolls around./

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

I stopped here with a friend for a quick bite and a drink before a play.
Everything was going well, we ordered the chicken strips as an entree (the honey soy sauce was delicious) and a bottle of Soju (also very good).
When it came time to settle the bill it was a bit frustrating as it took 10 minutes to catch someone's attention. Eventually, what I assume to be one of the hosts came over and got our bill. As I am travelling abroad I have a Travel Money Card which I top up. The strip doesn't work well but when typed in everything is fine - which I told him. The host came back to me and threw the card on the table, saying it was declined and he had tried typing it in. Embarrassed and confused given I knew I had more than enough cash on it, I fumbled for my UK credit card and asked him to try that. Same thing. He then walked off and left us with no comment, not even allowing my friend to offer her card. I found this incredibly rude, I appreciate the restaurant was busy, but it was an awkward situation, we were not given the benefit of the doubt nor any opportunity to fix the situation. In the end I approached a waitress when she was at the till and asked her to try the first card- it worked perfectly. This man's attitude genuinely soured my experience of what was otherwise a nice but overpriced restaurant.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

The food at Meju is great, and it's a fine place for a date. Definitely has an upscale vibe compared to almost all other Asian restaurants in the area. The decor is great and really establishes a unique atmosphere.

There are never as many people sitting in Meju as I would really expect. Perhaps the word just isn't out yet. On a weekend, you can hardly get a seat at any bar in Davis, but you typically can come sit at Meju. Their drinks are very reasonably priced and tasty, and there are options if you don't like soju,