“Mostly ups,some downs”

Meju Korean Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Meju Korean Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 345 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

We arrived at around 5pm on a Saturday evening.We were seated promptly.The server was very nice but seemed inexperienced.Or perhaps it was the strange way the food came out of the kitchen.We ordered 3 apps.One order of kimchi pork Mandu (dumplings),one order of of steamed veggie Mandu and the Spicy Crunchy Tuna.The appetizers took quite a while to come out of the kitchen and when they did the veggie Mandu was cool.Had it been served warm it would have been top shelf.We got them steamed.The kimchi pork dumplings we got pan seared and were very tasty.The Crunchy Tuna was chopped good quality tuna with a mildly spicy mayo type dressing,served in lightly fried dumpling wrappers molded into cups.I thought this was delicious.After the initial delay the rest of the entrees came out fast and furious-they were served before we had finished our apps.
We had among us Beef Bibimbap and Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice.Among the best Bibimbap I have tried.Very flavorful and served in the traditional hot clay pot.I loved the Kimchi Bacon fried rice.We plan to go back and try some different items on the menu and hopefully there will be better flow to the meal.All in all we agreed the food was very tasty and worth another try.

Reviewed October 26, 2017

We sat at the bar and two of us shared 4 tapas style items- the spicy pork barbecue steamed buns, roasted mushrooms, scallion pancakes, and pumpkin croquette. All of our food was served piping hot, which is always a good start as far as I'm concerned. Our least favorite item was the pumpkin croquette; it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the other items that we ordered. If you like mushrooms, try the roasted mushrooms - they were amazing. I would definitely come back. So, why did I give it 4 stars rather than 5? The service was slow. The bartender makes time consuming cocktails, (which looked delicious, but which we didn't try) and she just didn't have time to provide attentive service. There were plenty of servers who were standing around, who perhaps could have helped out, but they never offered.

Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

We stopped for dinner at Davis Square. We loved the ambiance and the excellent service. The food presentation was appealing. So far Mejia was 5 stars. But, The (major) issue was that the chef needs to learn how to use spices. The silken tofu mousse had a wierd taste, the Raman octopus was so spicy it was non-eatible. We only enjoyed, The ginger /honey tea and the blacken cod that were delicious
We will not return

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

We dropped by when we were looking for a quick lunch. We really enjoyed it. The food was very good and the service was quick and friendly. We would definitely recommend this as a solid lunch spot.

And don't worry if you have never had Korean food. One of us had never tried it and really enjoyed the meal.

Reviewed August 8, 2017

A business associate suggested a lunch here. Normally I am not a huge fan of Korean bbq, but having tasted sensational food in Seul, I am always looking to be pleasantly surprised. The place is very attractive, with clean lines and modern decor. The lunch wasn't too crowed and service was speedy. The food was excellent! I had Beef Bibimbap, which came with a spicy sauce on the side. I am not a huge fan of super spicy food, but a tempered addition of this sauce made this dish sing. The beef was sliced so thin as to be nearly transparent, which made it incredibly tender and easy to maneuver onto the chop sticks with egg, veggies and rice. The rice was perfectly cooked, soft on top, and crispy on the bottom. Another person in our group raved about the Shrimp Shrimp Chili Noodle. Even the Jasmine tea was great! Overall, a great experience - would be a good place for someone to start trying Korean food or even for someone who knows and likes this cuisine already. Since it was a business lunch, we didn't partake, but the beers looked tempting as well. I'm looking forward to eating there again as I plan to be in Medford often over the next few years.

1  Thank NYCandCT