“off the beaten path”

Purgatory Chasm State Reservation
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Sutton
Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

Awesome Med Intensity Hike. Just be prepared with sturdy shoes as the Chasm Trail is stepping on over and around rocks that even dry are slippery. We stumbled upon this place as we were in the area for a concert at the Indian Ranch and wanted something to do prior. The hike was about a mile or so. It was very busy with young families and others. That did not detour us from thoroughly enjoying the park. Trails we very well marked as well

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"crevices"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2016

We went this past weekend and as the kids realized where we were going, they started crying and saying they didn't want to go. (they were scared!) About 5 minutes in, they LOVED it. They thought they were just the coolest for going rock climbing! There are a lot of rocks but there are well worn paths and it's not super strenuous. Purgatory Chasm has a nice loop that my kids really enjoyed. There are a few other trails in the park as well that I'd like to explore at some point.

There is also a great playground that we will check out next time. My only issue is paying $5 to park everytime. There are worse things in life but if I just want to use the playground, it's annoying to have to pay to park.

We will definitely be back, though. My kids loved it! Also, there are bathrooms and water fountains. Very important when traveling with kids!!

Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

This place is absolutely beautiful if you get the chance to visit the purgatory chasm definitely do it, there are a few slippery rocks so make sure to wear your hiking boots and bring some water, make sure to visit lovers leap and The Devils coffin while here.

Reviewed June 27, 2016

I went there once and was not impressed with all the smokers "hanging out" but years later with smoking being less popular, that was not an issue at all. It was a nice spring day and my only complaint is that dogs should not be taken on the rock path and should use alternative routes to get through the woods. Having so many people in proximity to so many dogs was somewhat stressful and I like dogs. There were some nice walking trails if you did not want to take the rocky route. My son is seven and loved it but I had to keep an eye on him. Overall, great experience and close to home!