All reviews camp store gas grill riding bikes the main lodge martha's vineyard toilet stalls basketball hoop small fridge oak bluffs fire pit public transportation new england cabin electricity firewood essentials summer
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We wanted to go camping and see Martha's Vineyard. This campground is the only one on Martha's Vineyard that I have been able to find.

My family is not in great shape, but taking bicycles to the island is far cheaper than taking a truck, plus, what an adventure! We packed all our stuff in a little bike trailer and just took off!

The campground is fine, nothing amazing or wonderful. We were going to ride bikes to beach after beach, so all we needed was a place to setup a tent for sleeping. This is perfect for that. We rode our bikes all weekend, all the way to Edgartown! We did not try to take the bus back or ride in the dark. We got a cab instead. The buses and the cabs have bike carriers, just make sure you tell them how many bikes!

The cabs are expensive, $40 for 4 people and 4 bikes.

So, the campground has a reasonable bathroom. It's a campground bathroom. You want modern amenities, stay in a hotel. I met the owner, he's fine but he does have to deal with some jerks so he has rules and he doesn't take a lot of crap. Did I mention this is like the only campground?

Staff is helpful if you aren't a jerk. Treat people well, smile, and all is cool. Please and thank you too. I did some people get cold treatment from staff, but the people were being rude, demanding, and some were swearing. Well, there ya go.

I would rate this trip one of our best, as do my kids and fiancee!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Matteo9000
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I've now been to this campground three times; twice in the middle of the summer with 12 students and now in early june with 20 students and I can't say better things about the campground. It is the perfect place to take a family/kids where after a day at the beach or exploring town there is plenty to do there from the large soccer field, basketball hoops, play ground etc. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful and the facilities have always been some of the cleanest of any camp site I have stayed at. This is the perfect place for people and families to stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank cbcamper
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Not sure why some complained so much but maybe it was their timing. After Labor Day the place was fine. The bathroom was clean but I could see how on a busy summer day it could be an issue if someone made a mess and they just hadn't gotten there yet. ALso the staff were fine, perfectly nice and informative. There are some skunks around but they are harmless. For $50 bucks a night you can sleep on MV. You can't expect the moon.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank islandgirl88
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This is a clean, well run campground in a lovely forest ... but don't go for an undisturbed reconnection with nature. The grounds crew zips quickly around in motorized carts. Yellow earth-moving machinery is visible. One morning, I was awakened at 8 a.m. by a neighbor's lawn mower that was -- seriously -- as loud as a jet engine, with the leaf-capture system. That was soon to be followed by the sounds of an enormous weed-whacker and a high-powered leaf blower. The campground should have long since established relationships with neighbors around the quiet time it expects of its high-paying guests. Seriously, $50 for a tent site? But it's Martha's Vineyard.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank nissua
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Our goal was to explore Martha's Vineyard so accomodations were not our priority so we chose this campground.
Upon arrival the staff was very courteous and professional. They described the campground facilities and rules. We had reserved a 2 room cabin for our family of 5 (8yo, 11yo & 13 yo children). The cabins were very nice with electricity & a small fridge. We cooked on the gas grill and used the 2 chairs and the picnic table to eat. I must note that skunks are overwhelming and would come immediately after we had dinner outside and pick on the scraps under the table! Not pleasant at all, but the following nights we would clean up immediately after dinner and the skunks would no longer visit us.
The bathrooms were fine.
The location of the compground was ideal for us. The camp ground is easily accessable by car & bike.
The camp rules are very fair regarding the quiet time of 11PM. Honestly, we were tired most evenings because we started our days at sunrise.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family