“Would give a zero if possible”
Review of The 1720 House

The 1720 House
Ranked #4 of 11 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Burlington, Vermont
“Would give a zero if possible”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Ok so the good first:

The b&b is in a nice location for walks, a small amount of shopping, and there is a good running route out towards the north point of vineyard haven. The house does have some historical interest as well.

Now the bad:

The room was small and not clean - it had cobwebs in the corners, stained sheets and pillows, and items left from the last occupants that had not been cleaned up. The bed was a remnant of the past or so it seemed because it sagged so badly in the center that my wife and I had trouble sleeping.

The hostess seemed out of touch and snobby. When we brought up the fact that we didn't want to sleep on stained sheets, she put on a huge show about how the sheets were brand new and there was no way they could be soiled - until my wife specifically pointed out the stains. The sheets got changed, but the service was less than stellar.

The 1720's house also advertises a breakfast every morning. Our past experience with b&b's is that everybody staying meets for a prepared meal. Breakfast here was some stale raisin bran, a bagel, and some fruit.

We will not stay here again, and would not recommend to anyone. There are better places to stay for your money.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank 1Lovetrips1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The 1720 House is a very special place. The service is wonderful...a lot of extras such as beach umbrellas and picnic baskets and even some fruit packed for us by the owner.
The rooms are lovely and the breakfast quite fresh, organic coffee, local dairy products and generous portions. Location could not be closer to a beach and town. We adored Cheryle for her good humor and gracious manner. And Abby the owner and Bella the wonderful housekeeper.
A great vacation.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice and immaculate
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank welltravelled6401
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I had great recommendations for cultural events on the island. Would never have found the special places I enjoyed without the good advice from the inn. My yellow room converted to twins and came with a newly finished private bath. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Versant
New York, NY
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I just got back from my stay at the 1720 House. The B&B is centrally located, which is great and makes it easy to find. We stayed in the American "Red" Room, which is easily identifiable by the abundance of American flags. It was supposed to have a private bath, but it was located across/ down the hall so I would use that term loosely. The bed was comfortable though and the room was quiet.

We read previous reviews and the owner's rebuttal. While the owner states she doesn't smoke in response to a comment on the house smelling of smoke, I most certainly saw her dragging away on cigarettes outside the house and assumed she was a smoker from her voice on the phone. To her credit though, the house did not smell of smoke (or at least where I went). However, I would agree with the general complaints on her as a business owner. She is abrasive and doesn't create a warm, inviting feeling (laying across the sofa with her feet on it, making the room awkward to walk through). She barks orders at the weird cleaning lady and even guests ("move your bags from the living room" - umm we were told to put them there hours ago, perhaps you should move them as a courtesy). The other woman is nice though

The continental breakfast is just that. The coffee had a metalic taste and it wouldn't hurt anyone to put out some hard boiled eggs, salmon or cold meats for my $250 a night.

Don't be fooled by the claim that they have bikes - my friend had to rent a bike and, luckily I brought my own. The 3 or 4 bikes they did have were unrideable. One had a tire that had been flat for a long time, the other had something rubbing against the tire and another had back breaks and seemed really old. They didn't make you feel safe, so renting is a better option.

Upon request, we were provided with a hair dryer. While we appreciated being able to use a dryer, we couldn't because it smelled awful and I would rather have wet hair.

I wouldn't run back here and it may not be my first chioce, but I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank rinmo04
mckinney texas
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Abby and her staff were wonderful and welcoming. They helped with recommendations and the Inn was cozy and conveniently located to down town. We were very happy we choose the 1720 House for our honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This was our first trip to Martha's Vineyard and my daughter and I stayed at the 1720 House. When the taxi van drove by the address, my daughter wished it was this house as it was beautiful on the outside. When we got inside, it was very nice and comfortable with a very cute Americana look to it!!!!! Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable.

It was walking distance from the town of Vineyard Haven, with a number of restaurants and the car rental place right there!

To be honest, when I read a couple comments on Trip Advisor about the owner Abby, I was leery and on guard! As it turned out, she was very nice and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy with everything and told us some of the nicer sights to see. Being the owner of the place, I felt she didn't have to do that. She went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable and felt at home. I am planning on staying here in the future! Thanks Abby for everything!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kscook
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Abby Hirsch's B&B 1720 House, is a fantastic, charming deal, with a great garden, an unbelievably beautiful giant tree, porch and good natured service.

The place is immaculate, with great tips on what's doing, where to eat, shop and laze. I stayed for a week, just to get away and I could not have been more cared for, left to my own devices when appropriate and helped out over and above standard service.

Plus, I came without a car, walked from the ferry, walked to town (5 minutes), bus (great island-wide service) and used a cab a couple of times in the evening.

The price was right, with a nice rate based on the length of my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
0.8 km away
The Clark House
The Clark House
#5 of 11 in Vineyard Haven

Been to The 1720 House? Share your experiences!