We were delighted with our recent stay at the Lighthouse Inn. We had the 2 bedroom 2-bath beach-front cottage at the end of the property. It had a fabulous view out of the living room, and was steps away from the hotel's private sheltered beach. Our kids (8 and 5) spent hours in the morning and afternoon playing on the beach, digging in the sand and splashing.
We were very pleased with the accomodations -- small but adequate bathrooms (one had a tub), roomy bedrooms, and tidy living room with a large TV and half-sized fridge (bigger than a mini fridge.) Plenty of towels were supplied but there were no refills on the shampoo or bath gel in 5 days. A king sized bed would have been nice. Lots of drawer space. The cottage was air-conditioned, which was a blessing.
The maid service was a bit grouchy, probably because there seemed to be only one maid for all of the cottages and our loitering in the cottage was interfering with her rounds. The first day she was actually very sweet, showing up in the late afternoon to inquire whether we were ok as she was "very worried" about not having provided morning service. We assured her that we did not care but the next morning, faced with us still in the room, she glared us out. After that, we were adjusted to the east coast time zone and spent mornings on the beach out of her way.
It would have been nice to have the hose in the front of the cottage (as the neighboring cottage appeared to have) rather than the rear so we could rinse off beach sand before entering. The outdoor shower provided further down the beach did not spray enough water to rinse well and more trouble than it was worth.
Also, it would have been really nice to get WiFi in the cottage.
In addition to our lovely cottage, I enjoyed the fabulous breakfast every morning with made-to-order omelets. Longer breakfast hour so that my sleepyhead family could join me would have been nice but they let me take food back to the cottage which was very nice of them. One evening, when we were caught by a surprise rain after dinner in the Inn restaurant, the front desk loaned us umbrellas to get back to our cottage. Fabulous service overall.
There is a lighthouse on the property (the only privately owned and operated lighthouse in the US) which we climbed up into. We rented jet skis, played on the pirate ship structure playground, and played shuffleboard, table tennis, and air hockey all on the property as well. We did not use the swimming pool or tennis courts nor make use of the free kids programs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lighthouse Inn-A True Oceanfront Cape Cod Classic.. The historic oceanfront Lighthouse Inn is home to the only privately owned and privately operated US Coast Guard-sanctioned lighthouse. Variety of accommodations, Cape Cod-style houses with private guestrooms and bathrooms, quaint cottages or traditional hotel style guestrooms. We offer bed and breakfast rates or American plan rates, which includes breakfast and dinner. Open mid-May through Columbus Day. Special packages are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Lighthouse Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lighthouse Hotel West Dennis
- Lighthouse Inn West Dennis, Cape Cod, MA