“Relaxing beach vacation!”

Ranked #1 of 3 West Dennis B&B and Inns
San Carlos, CA
“Relaxing beach vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

We were delighted with our recent stay at the Lighthouse Inn. We had the 2 bedroom 2-bath beach-front cottage at the end of the property. It had a fabulous view out of the living room, and was steps away from the hotel's private sheltered beach. Our kids (8 and 5) spent hours in the morning and afternoon playing on the beach, digging in the sand and splashing.

We were very pleased with the accomodations -- small but adequate bathrooms (one had a tub), roomy bedrooms, and tidy living room with a large TV and half-sized fridge (bigger than a mini fridge.) Plenty of towels were supplied but there were no refills on the shampoo or bath gel in 5 days. A king sized bed would have been nice. Lots of drawer space. The cottage was air-conditioned, which was a blessing.

The maid service was a bit grouchy, probably because there seemed to be only one maid for all of the cottages and our loitering in the cottage was interfering with her rounds. The first day she was actually very sweet, showing up in the late afternoon to inquire whether we were ok as she was "very worried" about not having provided morning service. We assured her that we did not care but the next morning, faced with us still in the room, she glared us out. After that, we were adjusted to the east coast time zone and spent mornings on the beach out of her way.

It would have been nice to have the hose in the front of the cottage (as the neighboring cottage appeared to have) rather than the rear so we could rinse off beach sand before entering. The outdoor shower provided further down the beach did not spray enough water to rinse well and more trouble than it was worth.

Also, it would have been really nice to get WiFi in the cottage.

In addition to our lovely cottage, I enjoyed the fabulous breakfast every morning with made-to-order omelets. Longer breakfast hour so that my sleepyhead family could join me would have been nice but they let me take food back to the cottage which was very nice of them. One evening, when we were caught by a surprise rain after dinner in the Inn restaurant, the front desk loaned us umbrellas to get back to our cottage. Fabulous service overall.

There is a lighthouse on the property (the only privately owned and operated lighthouse in the US) which we climbed up into. We rented jet skis, played on the pirate ship structure playground, and played shuffleboard, table tennis, and air hockey all on the property as well. We did not use the swimming pool or tennis courts nor make use of the free kids programs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenB_California

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
South Shore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

First the good news, it was a great location on the cape but that's the only good news. This place was really bad, most of the staff was really rude from the manangement right down to the housekeeping staff. I had called to the front desk for housekeeping and when the housekeeper showed up and I talked to her about the beds in our room she actually rolled her eyes at me with the whole head movement and everything. She was shaking her head at me and muttering. REALLY????? This is how guests are treated in their first 5 minutes?? As for the breakfast we had to pay for because you cannot get a room without having to pay to breakfast too, it was not even average. Bland food cheese that wouldnt melt, sausage that more hockey puck then pattie. On our first morning there after our breakfast, the manager actually stopped us in the middle of the dining room and asked if we wanted to put our extras guests breakfast tab on our room. At first we had no idea what he was talking about as we had rented two rooms with two adults and one child each room. He counted and indicated to two of the adults in our party. We explained again to him that we had two rooms and two adults and one child per room, when he finally understood, he turned his back on us and walked away. No apology no nothing. I couldn't believe it. The beach is not as pictured and full of seaweed which we only saw cleaned once and only in the jet ski area. If I could give less of a rating I would.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank awe2
lighthouseinncapecod, Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the Lighthouse Inn. I would like to apologize for anyone who may have come off rude or insensitive during your time spent here, there is no excuse for any staff member to conduct themselves in any way other than respectful and accommodating to whatever is asked or brought to their attention. My sincere apologies for the misunderstanding in amount of people occupying the accommodations, as I do see that both rooms were reserved in differant names and as the hostess did not have ckecked in as both parties sitting together, the manager had approached you and your guests to verify so charges would not be incorrectly applied. However if his approach and exit was not appropriate or sensitve, I do apologize. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards and for that I sincerely apologize, we do want to thank you for your feedback so we can proceed in making the necessary changes in order to better ourselves and service. In hopes that you as well as other guests in the future enjoy their vacation.
North Port, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I had not been to the Inn in about 15 years and was excited to try it after all this time for dinner, what a disappointment! I ordered baked scrod with ritz cracker crumbs. It was so dry and the fish tasted old. My two friends ordered salmon and the other surf and turf. The steak was ordered medium rare and came very well done and very grey! My friend took one bite and could not eat it. The waitress came to the table and we also informed her that all three of our baked potatoes were cold and the butter would not even melt on it. The veggies were stone cold too. She told us that she would bring three more potatoes when she returned with a new steak, those too were stone cold. I would think that someone would be sure to zap the potatoes in the micro wave if someone had complained about cold food! The manager came over and told us that he was very sorry and would take the meals off the bill. He also offered us drinks or dessert. He was nice but we were so disappointed on what was suppose to be a nice fresh seafood dinner. I would not go back again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank FloridaDonna
We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the dissappointing experience you had at the restaurant. Our goal is to provide exceptional service and food so guests will enjoy their time here. As a previous guest returning after so many years we would hope to deliver a great experience in hopes you would return again, and for that not to have been accomplished I sincerely apologize. As I have reviewed your feedback with the Chef and staff, to make the necessary changes so these type of mistakes will not be repeated. We constantly evaluate the menu along with the preparation in an effort to provide a variety of quality food during your meal. As I know the restaurant manager did try to make a effort to rectify the situation, it does not excuse the issue as we realize you were looking forward to a nice fresh seafood dinner, and we are truly sorry that this was not delivered as it should have been. We hope we will have the oppurtunity to welcome you back one day, so we can prepare a great Cape Cod seafood dinner for you, as you had previously hoped for, so you may have a good experience at the Lighthouse Inn as you may have had 15 years ago when first visited. Once again my deepest apologies.
Lebanon, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

We visit the Cape annually and are always looking for new restaurants that we haven't tried so this is based on the RESTAURANT ONLY. My DH and I went to the restaurant for dinner with my two young boys. I have NEVER been more disappointed with a restaurant in my life! And it ended up costing us close to $100 dollars.
We ordered chix nuggets and pizza for my sons. The pizza was covered in shredded yellow cheese (chedder) and was cold. He is a pizza fan but he wouldn't touch this. My dinner was AWFUL! It was a penne with seafood...it was also covered by the shredded yellow cheese. I was nervous to eat the seafood with the amount of attention our meals had been given. My DH had a scallop dish and he agreed that it was an awful meal. All of that said and done, with two glasses of wine...the meal was about $90. The one positive was the views. We had a great night with a slight breeze and terrific views.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gpec24
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

We booked this for labor weekend, so we didnt have to travel around and could take bikes etc. We were due to arrive on the Friday night, but so was the hurricane! We emailed the hotel and asked for suggestions, we agreed not to go on Friday, just in case and went Saturday morning, we arrived on Saturday around 10 was allowed to check in and went off exploring....

Amazing on the beach, breakfast included to please every taste, close to local Cape attractions and restaurants. My 11 year old wants it to be a family tradition to go every labor weekend....... Guess we better book soon then!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank heather-plumb
lighthouseinncapecod, Manager at Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
As weather is so unpredictable at times, we are so pleased you and your family enjoyed your time at the Lighthouse Inn. Luckily the weather turned in our favor, rather than the worst for the hurricane alert, and your family as well as many others were able to enjoy their time on Cape Cod. Looking forward to welcoming your family back to the Lighthouse Inn for years to come, as suggested by your 11 year old, a Lighthouse Inn family vacation sounds like a great tradition!
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

We enjoyed our long weekend stay at the Lighthouse Inn. Loved being right on the water; the main building is an old lighthouse and is really picturesque -- great little gift shop, restaurant has a nice breakfast (I think other meals are served too), beautiful view of the ocean, very nice heated pool, quaint little mini-golf, shuffleboard -- it felt like going back into the 50s in a good, wholesome way. The room we stayed in was large, extremely clean, and very comfortable. We had a great experience and would definitely go back. Had a nice chat with the owner, who is extremely nice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank pilgrim373
Belmar, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Overpriced! The location is wonderful with great views of the ocean but the accommodations and the food are not worth the price. One can easily find something much better at half the price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4.1 km away
Bluegreen Vacations The Soundings, Ascend Resort Collection
3.9 km away
Corsair and Cross Rip Oceanfront

Been to Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!