“Excellent Mid-East Cuisine and Atmosphere; Friendly Service”

El-Basha Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #99 of 626 Restaurants in Worcester
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed August 11, 2016

When I was in college at Holy Cross, I began to patronize the old El Morocco up on Grafton Hill. It was this iconic restaurant that made me fall in like with Middle Eastern Cuisine and I have loved this kind of food ever since. The El Morocco is long gone, but the tradition of Lebanese food is alive and well at El Basha on the corner of Lake Avenue and Belmont Street, a small, but stylish Lebanese restaurant that I've visited off and on for over thirty years.

The food is still quite good and the wait staff is great. I visited yesterday with my parents who share my liking for this ethnic cuisine. We were seated promptly in the first of two dining rooms at a table beneath a painting depicting Arabic men in turbans and galabiyyas. The painting set the mood. Within minutes we had pita bread, hummus, and baba ganoush and were perusing the rather extensive menu. Egyptian legend Umm e Kulsoom could be heard over the sound system.

I ordered the 'El' salad for the table. This is an iceberg lettuce salad with olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and feta cheese. The dressing is classic olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mint. Don't miss this salad. My guests had Chicken Kebab with grilled vegetables and rice, the kofta kebab with grilled vegetables and rice. I ordered Port Said, a mixture of grilled lamb, mushrooms, pine nuts, Syrian pepper, garlic, onions, and who knows what else? The dish is savory and rich and was well prepared.

Alas, no room for dessert, but the waitress told us as we paid our check, that she hadn't seen us in a while, and she hoped we'd be back soon. Let it be so! Enjoy this wonderful restaurant.

Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

Had a going away lunch for a coworker. Ordered takeout from here. It was delicious.

Greek salads, hummus to die for, fresh pita bread, kabobs in huge portions.

Will definitely order from here again!!!

Reviewed June 7, 2016

We enjoyed dining at El Basha at this location and at their Westboro location for a number of years when we lived in MA. We returned to MA for a few weeks, suggested to friends that we connect at El-Basha's and were disappointed with the lamb Port Said (one of our favorites). My wife's comment was that we make it better ourselves. Also the flat bread served with the Humus seemed dried out...it's just isn't the same venue that it was

Reviewed April 21, 2016

My family and I eat here very often. The staff knows my family by name and order, and are very friendly! The food is very consistent, and very very good! Highly recommend.

Reviewed November 9, 2015

The service was amazing, the fatoosh salad was perfect! The falafel was to die for, and the baba ganoush was wonderful! The server was stellar!