“Day trip”
Review of Beaver Island

Beaver Island
More attraction details
Owner description: This historical site of 19th-century Mormon followers is now a quiet, quaint attraction.
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Beautiful island. Friendly people. Visited Labor Day weekend to watch our daughter run half marathon. Her and her family stayed on island at friends. Rode bikes to light house. Took ride in truck about Island- it's very large. 45 minute tour only got us partially around one side. Nice sandy beach. Cute shops. Very heavily wooded island. Loved it and will be back.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

It was very foggy but a nice ride to the island the staff is friendly and very helpful with and questions.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

The title of this review basically sums up its contents.

I originally wanted to visit South Manitou Island for its beaches and hiking, but my family decided on Beaver Island since we heard it had shops and restaurants. Look, upon coming here, I full out did NOT expect it to be anything like Mackinac Island, and I knew things here would be a little more dated and laid back. However, I was not prepared for anything like this.

After the boat ride over (which was awesome!) we arrived on Beaver Island and decided to purchase a map at the Information building. To my total shock, they were $5 each. I’m sorry, but in this day and age where many of us have a smart phone with a map that we can use for FREE, this was a complete rip off. We decided against the map and called the car rental place for directions. The woman who answered gave us very vague and unclear directions, but thankfully the place was just down the road, so it wasn’t hard to find.

When we entered the store, we were “greeted” by this incredibly rude and unenthusiastic woman (probably the same one that was on the phone). Fortunately, she gave us a smaller map of the island for free and showed us a few places where we should go. They sounded pretty cool to me and I began to get excited. After all of this, we got in our silver Subaru rental car in which one of the key fobs wasn’t working and the car itself couldn’t be driven over 35 mph without falling to pieces. I’m sure there are much worse rental cars on the island, so I consider ourselves lucky.

Our first stop was Dalwhinnie’s, and you can read my frustrations in my review on their TripAdvisor page. After that sour visit, all of us got back in the car and drove over to the beach. There was barely anyone else there, which was nice, and the water was really clear and blue, but overall it wasn’t much. I’ve seen so many other pretty beaches in Michigan that coming all the way over to the island for this small strip of sand just isn’t worth it.

After the beach we went to the hardware store in which we had to hunt down an unfriendly employee to ring up our purchases. Then we went to the historical museum, which was good for what it was. The lady there was also the friendliest person we met on the island, so kudos to her! We also went to the toy museum (which is literally hidden by the forest. We had to drive by twice just to find it. I also wrote a review on their TripAdvisor page.) and another public beach, all within a half hour. We then visited some other shops, which were a little nicer than the gift shop we went in before, and concluded the day by eating at Shamrock’s Pub (read my review on their page.)

Throughout the day, I just remained so flabbergasted as to why people love this place so much. The residents here are not friendly at all (aside from a few exceptions) and seem to be annoyed by all of the tourism. It’s like they don’t want you here, and they show it. Other reviews of the island on TripAdvisor say that locals will wave to you from their car as they drive by. Unless I missed some imaginary people in some imaginary cars, I didn’t witness any happy waving from car windows. The other one star reviewer who said that the island has no appeal whatsoever got it spot on. Yes, Beaver Island is “peaceful” but in my opinion that’s all it’s got going for it. Needless to say I will never be returning and regret suggesting that my family spend $195 just to come here for the day.

2  Thank SeaGreenSnail1009
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We have been wanting to visit beaver Island for the last five years. We finally got to make this trip for a day visit. Really glad we did, Island is like a step back in time, very slow pace. But also very friendly people, even had a resident asked us if we needed a ride as we walked up and down the streets, that was excellent! Took the three hour tour which helped us get acquainted with the island and history. We need to go back to fully enjoy what we saw. Kudos to Mr. Roland Cull, for all his information and for our tour, highly recommend it

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We escaped after our first night on the island. I would recommend reading all reviews before planning lodging.

2  Thank MichiganSuzi