“Nice find in northern MI.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village

Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bellaire
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice find in northern MI.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

My husband and I recently spent the weekend here for our anniversary. We went mid-October and I was thrilled with the beautiful colors on the trees. We stayed in a room with a king size bed and a kitchenette. I liked the room, it was neat and clean and classy. The only thing I found unusual was two doors on either side of the room connecting to the rooms next door. Unfortunately, this allowed for a lot of noise in the other rooms to come in. We could easily hear what both rooms were saying even though they were talking in a normal volume. Same with the housekeeping ladies outside. They were quite loud, talking is fine just nit right by my door! I'm not sure what could be done about this, just wanted to make people aware.
The restaurant was nice, we had a dinner there one night and breakfast the next morning. Both were good, a little pricey however. All of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly. I would stay again but possibly request a room at the end or ask to be posed by empty rooms. Overall I liked it.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
NW Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

My employer had booked this property for a large meeting. I would say we had 60% or more of the rooms booked for our group. This is important because I think it directly has to do with the water pressure issue I experienced, to discuss later.

We arrived at night and it’s a bit confusing getting into the place. There are signs, but there are so many different signs it was difficult to find exactly where we needed to go. Once we got to the lobby, check in was a breeze. They gave us a nice map to the room and where to park, and myself and my roommate were in our room (367) in short order. The room is quite large, with a very large closet, smaller bathroom, two queen beds, nice desk area, refrigerator, microwave, flat screen, and a large balcony. Plenty of outlets to charge everything – very helpful!

The room was very attractively decorated with muted colors. Carpets were clean. Very large balcony, ours overlooked the parking area but the view was still stunning from the third floor. Had we had a room on the other side of the hotel, we would have overlooked Bellaire Lake, which you can see if you walk out to the patio area on the west side of the hotel. Bar and restaurant were hopping when I got there, but due to the tiring 5 hour drive, I chose to stay in, my roommate went out and received very good service at the bar.

The bed was very comfortable, bedding was ample and cozy. I did think the pillows were a bit hard, I kept throwing it to the side and sleeping without it until my neck hurt then pulling it back over for a while. There was a nice alarm clock in the room too.

The only issue we experienced was the morning, getting ready. I don’t know if it was because we were on the top floor, or because probably everyone in the building was showering at the same time due to us all having the same start time for our meeting, but the water pressure was atrocious. And I am serious, there was none. It would come and go from a trickle to sort of spitting out of the showerhead, I had to press myself against the wall and straddle the faucet to get any water at all. Pressure was somewhat better at the faucet so I finished rinsing my hair by kneeling on the tub floor and running the water over my hair. Not acceptable. I was in such as hurry as my normal five minute shower time took 20 that I forgot to call them or tell them at checkout, as we didn’t have time to check out properly, we just left the keys in the room.

Otherwise, it was a great stay and I would definitely come back for a winter trip. I would just choose to shower at “off” times.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking Bellaire Lake, on the west side.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank racegrrl
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Great place! The $10million upgrade they did a few years back really shows. If possible, get a lakeview room. The view of the lake is breathtaking! Must be the best in Michigan. Had a small screwup on my reservation, but the front desk staff was awesome and totally made things right. Very peaceful place too. The hotel can be packed, yet you still feel like you have gotten away from it all. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic (especially the breakfast buffet and the Sunday brunch) Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

We just returned from our second Labour Day weekend golf trip and were talking about booking next year's holiday when we were only into our second day. We were fortunate to have had our room upgraded (not sure why they offered when we booked but we were really pleased). We stayed in the main hotel in a large suite with living area, double wide balcony and lovely view (despite the rain). The restaurant has delicious meals and the wait staff have just the right balance of friendliness and professional service. Can't comment on the pool but the associated golf courses range from okay (Summit) to very nice (Legend and Cedar Creek). Our tee-times were accurately booked and the hotel staff tried their best to assist us with solving some car problems. It is easy to spend a lot; however, last year we stayed in the condo section of the hotel which would be more economical (but less relaxing). The resort is easy to get to from Soo Ontario and close to good shopping and some cute villages.

Room Tip: The rooms surrounding the pool offer a nice view, but remember you're on view to the people in t...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

Def stay somewhere else. Summit was old dirty and smelly. Nice outdoor heated pool. To far from many attractions. Very quiet place Just rather stayed at boyne.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Syrianbeauty
Ohio City, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

The property is well maintained and the views are awesome. The hotel is nice and the restaurant on site was very nice. We stayed in one of the condos (each are privately owned) but it needed "some love". Things were dated and should be upgraded. Business associates staying in the hotel, were very pleased however. There is so much to do around the area, with Traverse City, Petosky, Charlevoix and Harbor Springs being so close. There are many inland lakes close by as well. It's a great place in the summer (as we found out), as it's also well known for it's skiing and winter sports. They had a nice golf course there as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Kalamazoo, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband had a business trip and I tagged along. The area is beautiful, and it's quite easy to get to Traverse City bay and many outdoor locales from there. However, if you are not a golfer and you are there in the summer, you will be traveling to do anything. The outdoors was not really set up for people to lounge, so there were not many chairs or local gathering places.
The hotel itself was quite old. The balconies are not private - it's one long continuous balcony with some open metal work dividers. The view from the back faces the water and is beautiful with full sun. The rooms facing the front of the resort are shaded and facing the parking lot. The pool was small, and there's not many indoor lounging or dining opportunities either. It had the feel of a small resort that ran out of space and had to keep adding a wing here and a wing there. We asked around locally and they said the skiing was not very challenging either - this was a good golf resort. The outdoor pool was a decent size. The staff was also friendly.
If you are looking for a "home base" for investigating around the Elk Rapids/Traverse City area, it's a good landing spot. The local restaurants in town were cute and the ladies at Sassafras store were AMAZING (it's on the maind drag). Get the pizza at the little cafe/wine bar/restaurant on the corner. It's delicious. We also recommend Pearl's in Elk Rapids if you really like Creole/New Orleans style food.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room facing the water in the back, or a room with a fireplace!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellaire
35.2 km away
38.8 km away
Bayshore Resort
Bayshore Resort
#9 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village? Share your experiences!