“OKAY HOTEL FOR THE PRICE”

Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Reviewed 4 August 2017

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Benton Harbor/St Joseph are in Michigan. We though we were getting a room with two queen beds, I asked at the reception desk if that's what our room had in it. I was told yes but when we got into our room it was obvious that the beds were only a Full size. I called the front desk to ask to be moved and they told me all of their rooms have queen beds. It definitely was NOT a queen bed. We did stay the two nights we had booked and made the best of it. Each room came with a microwave, mini fridge and TV. The shower pressure was really nice and relaxing after a long day of touring around St Joseph/Michigan City. We spent a day at Silver beach in Michigan city and it was awesome. beautiful white sandy beach.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room away from the Highway, it will be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
CaseyStrawmier, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Hello. I want to apologize for getting off to a bad start about the sizing of the beds. I went over this with my staff so next time this will not occur. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the rest of your trip and had some good sites to see. Hopefully we will see you again when you visit Benton Harbor. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

My family and I come here often. Prices are affordable and the staff is more than amazing! Shawnti is always one step ahead with her hospitality! We appreciate everything she does for us and even more her smile! I would recommend this place to all my friends and family!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am glad to see everything was great and Shawnti gave you superb service! See you next time...

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Hubby and I took a MI road trip for wine tasting, overnight sleep, and an early morning fishing charter. We only needed a clean place to rest for the night ...
I had made our reservation thru hotels.com, and paid for our stay upon checking in.
The room was ground floor (as requested), smoke free. It was cozy - not what I would call cramped, but only one person could move around at a time. The king bed was comfortable, with ample pillows and covers. Located off the highway, the room was quiet. The fridge/freezer held our food overnight. There was also a microwave and flat-screen tv. The sink/vanity was separate from the toilet and tub/shower.
The a/c worked well, which is when we noticed - ugh - peeling paint on the wall.
Otherwise, this hotel was as expected. Reasonably priced, and convenient location.
When we woke in the morning, we wanted coffee, but none had been made. Disappointing, 'specially at 7am ...

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello. So happy to hear your get-a-way from home was great. Sounds like you and your husband had a great time. We would love to have you back next time to enjoy the same experiences. Thank you

Reviewed 20 June 2017

We have two dogs that we usually only travel with to go camping or to a friend's home. This time we were traveling from St. Louis to northern Michigan and needed a place about half way. This Red Roof got so-so reviews, but when we found out they recently remodeled AND they don't charge extra for pets we decided to give it a try. It was perfect for us. Staff is extremely friendly, room cost low, WiFi is free, hotel literally right off the highway (although the traffic sounds were not very noticeable). They put us in a ground floor room with a grassy area for the dogs right outside the door. We liked it so well we immediately made reservations for our return trip a week later. We got the same room and price. Although there isn't a hair dryer in the room, there was a mini fridge and microwave. No breakfast, but there is a McDonalds right next door. All in all, if you have to travel with pets, we highly recommend Red Roof Inn. All of their hotels have the same pet policy.

Room Tip: If you have pets, ask for a ground floor room near the grassy areas
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your nice experience. We try to make it as comfortable as we can for our guest and our fury pet visitors. Cant wait to see you next time!

Reviewed 12 June 2017

The hotel itself is fine and the staff here is nice. The internet is very spotty and there is highway noise. I should have brought a loud fan. The real problem is this hotel apparently allows an unlimited number of pets to stay here but still charges you to sleep. So some lady comes here with like 7 small dogs, no joke. She leaves the dogs in a van with a door open both for about an hour after arrival and again at like 6am for another hour or so. I talk to the front desk, at this time thinking it is only one dog in a van. The lady ended up leaving about 5 minutes after. She comes back and I have been trying to get back to sleep. it is 9am and now this crazy lady has set up gates outside and has 7 dogs out there barking, waking up the remainder of the people she did not wake up the first time. If this property seriously thinks this is ok, it is not. The second woman at the front desk just said yes the lady could have tried to keep the dogs quiet, but that there is no pet limit. You can't keep 7 dogs quiet all the time, not yappy little dogs. It is just common sense. You should be allowed 1 or 2 and if you cannot keep then quiet you need to leave. My issue is not with this specific hotel, but the fact that corporate allows this. So now I paid for a room that I did not really get to sleep in. I now have to try to function on now sleep all day so what am I paying for?? I talked to the desk twice and nothing was really done. I will be sending a message to corporate and will be sure not to stay here again. I expect some of my money back. It is a Sunday so I find it hard to believe they couldn't have put this person with pets way off in their own corner somewhere instead of right next to everyone else. Also, don't allow 7 dogs.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience the dogs had on your stay. Hopefully you will give us another chance in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Overpriced for the quality. The people that work here are extremely nice and attentive which is why they get 3 stars. But this place is very run down and in major need of repair and updating. Toilet was loose, outdoor rails were rusty, falling apart. Could see light through the outside door.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your response. I'm glad you did enjoy the hospitality. We will definitely address the issues you brought to our attention. Hopefully we will see you on your next trip to Benton Harbor.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Front desk service is outstanding,especially Shirley.Rooms are remodeled,and like new. It's close to every thing you need,dozen of resturants,malls. Very clean ,excellent housekeeping staff.Will always stay here when in the area

Room Tip: ground floor,park in front of room
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank msw136c

Thank you very much for your kind words about our Hotel. See you next time...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Benton Harbor
0.9 km away
Staybridge Suites - Benton Harbor-St. Joseph River
0.8 km away
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph

Been to Red Roof Inn Benton Harbor St. Joseph? Share your experiences!