“Great food, good wine list, service ok”

Big Rock Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Rock Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 104 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple
Description: Formerly Norman's Eton Street Station, Big Rock Chop House combines the rustic, casual feel of a mountain lodge with the high-energy of a contemporary club, an eclectic mix unlike any other Metro Detroit dining experience, The menu bursts with enormous, hand-cut, aged steaks & chops, including a 24oz Porterhouse, a 16oz Kansas City Strip Steak, a 20oz or 32oz Jumbo Bone-In Rib Eye, a 12oz Filet Mignon, Center Cut Pork Chops, double cut Lamb Chops & a 16oz Veal Porterhouse Chop. Other selections include Rocky Mountain Chicken, Canadian Whitefish & Dover Sole presented tableside. Adjoining the restaurant is a brew house, with custom, state-of-the-art equipment. Award-winning brew master Dan Rogers has created 4 signature beers to compliment the restaurant's distinctive American fare: Norm's Raggedy Ass Ale, Raymondo El Rojo, Flying Buffalo Stout & Weizenheimer Hefe Weizen. In addition to these, Rogers adds a seasonal & specialty brew to the bar, which he changes frequently.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

The service at times was great but spotty. The food is very good. This place is pricey. Its Birmngham and it goes with the territory. This place is not up to Capital grille standards but close.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Took my parents here for their 41st anniversary. Our waiter Eric made our dinner such a fun experience. Had Caesar salads, the Filet, ahi tuna, Brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes. Everything was delicious. Thank you! We will be back.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

Like the title says, i don't see what all the fuss is about. The interior of the restaurant is nice but nothing to rave about. We were seated in what I can only describe as the area around the back that they use as open outdoor dining in the summer months. It was quite chilly. They put a double table cloth on a round bistro metal table and call it "fine dining". We all had steak and appetizers which I could best describe as average.
The only thing that wasn't average was the prices. Everything is a la carte and I found the drink prices quite high for the quality of the offerings.
A little on the snobby side from the employees. I had to pass through Detroit on my way there so I did not bring my nicest vehicle. The valet gave me a weird look like "You're going to valet this?" Apparently a $40k SUV is low brow for them.
Just an FYI it was $350 including tip for 4 adults to dine. I have dined at dozens of comparable restaurants in my lifetime and this one hovers around the middle to lower end of my experiences. I would not go back.

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

Went for restaurant week...food was excellent. My son and I had steaks which were perfect and excellent flavor. Only thing that was terrible was the only parking close to the restaurant was valet and was @ a charge vs free with meal. Parking is the only reason why I did not give 5 stars.

Reviewed January 18, 2018

We haven't been here since it was Normans. Glad we re-visited. We wanted somewhere special for NYE and this was it. Even though we had reservations, we did wait about 10 min. Our waiter was Justin and he couldn't have been better. He explained all the dishes, and when he wasn't sure about one thing he went to the kitchen to find out. The Scallops were fabuous as was the NY Strip Steak. We got a side of Trumpet Mushrooms, and they were excellent. My hubby also liked the Lobster Bisque. This was a very special place for a special occasion. It was very festively decorated.

Been to Big Rock Chop House? Share your experiences!