“Nice hotel in a nice location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Townsend Hotel

The Townsend Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Birmingham
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice hotel in a nice location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

The hotel was fine. Request a view of something other than the mechanicals on the roof. The location was great for walking around. The restaurant is too small to handle many people for meals, especially breakfast.

Room Tip: Request a view other than the mechanicals on the roof.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to add your remarks on your recent stay. We are glad you enjoyed most of your stay and apologize if our restaurant was to busy to accommodate you. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have stayed here one time before and I really like it. I send all of my out town business partners here when they are in town. The staff is great and everyone enjoys the nice rooms!

Room Tip: Rooms up high are the best
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you again enjoyed your stay again and we look forward to your return.
glenwood springs, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Took my family to my hometown for my niece's wedding last week. I made reservation three months ahead of time and received no email confirmation but was charged a deposit for the room. When I called on the way to the hotel that morning, they had no record of my reservation and actually booked me for Feb 19th instead of April 19th. The deposit charged me was actually a one night's charge for both of the rooms I reserved since I did not check in on Feb 19. They promised to reverse the charges. We were able to get a suite and adjoining room for my kids to sleep in with a horrible view overlooking the loading dock. My sister dropped off a welcome present for the kids and when I checked on it after check in later that day, the front desk and concierge said there was nothing for me and that they would investigate and get back to me. Needless to say, no one got back to me. The next day there was a more helpful person at the front desk and was able to find out that the gift did arrive and was put into the wrong room by the Bellman. So that was lost. I am also waiting to see the reversed charges on my credit card as well.
We also found out on the second day that the minibar in our kids' room had a broken lock. Our two year old got into it and actually opened a small bottle of Ketel one vodka not knowing what it was. She did not appear to drink very much because of the taste so we had them empty the minibar. Housekeeping anknowledged that they knew this minibar lock was broken.
The hotel was good in the past and would rate it a 4 out of 5 but it is not very child friendly and the adjacent hall and room noise is quite loud. This hotel would close in a month if they had any quality competition such as a Ritz, Four Seasons, JW MArriott etc.
Much of the staff was were friendly, probably would not go back because of lack of service and amenities for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bngws
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for returning and for sharing your disappointment with your last visit to The Townsend. We do apologize for the confusion with your reservation and were happy to refund the first no show. We would also like to apologize for this inexcusable oversight of the gift bag and for not attempting to retrieve that gift bag for you when we had the opportunity to do so.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to follow-up with the our Mini-bar attendant, who was asked by your wife if she would remove everything from the min-bar in the room occupied by your children. She remembers removing everything from the Mini-bar but does not recall having a conversation in regard to the lock being broken, partially consumed product or your son twisting off the top of a vodka bottle to consume vodka.

Mr. Nichole, again, thank you, for returning, thank you for sharing your disappointments and please accept our apologies for a far less then perfect return to Detroit.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Birmingham is a charming town. Best time to visit is Spring or late Summer/early autumn. Great shopping, good restaurants, safe, pedestrian friendly. The Townsend is as good as it gets. Terrific bar/lounge, great restaurant, terrific service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with balcony are nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We would agree that Birmingham is a charming town. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have been staying at this gem of a hotel for nearly 20 years. It has always delivered a very high standard in all areas. Every member of the staff is completely focused on you and your stay. Yes it is pricey. However should you be able to see fit to know that the price is worth every penny this hotel will allow you to have a wonderful stay. Don't miss the house made chips in The Rugby Grill!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the post! We are delighted to be of service to you during your stays. We look forward to more in the future.
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Beautiful hotel with 5 star quality and service is always consistent. I stay here primarily for business meetings but could see it being a lovely weekend getaway with my husband. I checked in and they didn't have a room in my category ready so was upgraded to a beautiful suite with small balcony. It was spacious with a couch and desk in the living room area. We used the Hunter boardroom for our meeting and had lunch served to us there from the Rugby grill. Excellent food and service and a very comfortable and beautiful boardroom. My room was very nice and the bed extremely comfortable. I came back from dinner to a wonderful turndown service with a fabulous box of chocolate on the bed as well. Room service for breakfast was prompt and delicious. My only nitpick is a hotel of the quality should have a stand alone, walk-in shower. The shower was in the tub with a flimsy cotton curtain that pulled around and kept blowing in on me. Otherwise a fabulous stay as always. Seabronetta (sp?) at the front desk has been a fixture at this hotel and always greets with a smile and is very friendly. She is memorable!

Room Tip: The upgraded suite is wonderful! No idea on price as I was here on business and room was taken care...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in regards to your stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you had an excellent time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall, the hotel is quite nice. Rooms are large and clean. Restaurant was fine. But my room (and several rooms around it) on the second floor were right above the garage, with its motorized garage door that opened and closed as cars drove in and out. There was heavy traffic on a weekday until about 12:30 at night. It started again at 4 AM. It shook the room and made very loud noises. When I informed the staff in the morning, they didn't seem to much care, though they said they would report it to their GM. I barely got an apology. Avoid rooms 205, 207 and 209 for sure!

Room Tip: High floor
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SFreviewGuy
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your stay. Unfortunately, you stayed with us at a time when we were having issues with our garage door. We do apologize for the inconvenience druing your stay and look forward to having you with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
27.3 km away
0.6 km away
Holiday Inn Express-Birmingham
39.1 km away
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!