“Only Once”
Review of J. Baldwin's

J. Baldwin's
Price range: US$21 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Clinton Township, Michigan
“Only Once”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Portions were VERY small and prices were very high. The food was good but cost a small fortune. There are too many other comparable restaurants nearby to visit this one

1 Thank bobbyshotgut

Detroit, Michigan
“J Baldwins”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Great calimari. Kids love making their own dough balls.

Metro-Detroit
“expensive drinks, but good food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a nice place to go for a few drinks and a nice quiet dinner between friends. I meet friends here from time to time for dinner and I'm never disappointed in the food. atmosphere is nice and the management seems very attentive. I would recommend this place to anyone.

1 Thank wsujohn8
Gilbert, Arizona
“I'm a calamari convert!”
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Never liked calamari until I had it here. It's perfectly cooked and seasoned. Have tried a lot of different items such as the pizza, assorted chicken dishes, fish and chips, etc. Always been very happy with the food quality. We've also gone for their holiday brunch. The selection of buffet style appetizers,with a few different seafood items, including the awesome calamari, more than justified the cost. Highly recommended! You can get coupons by signing up for their email program, or checking community magazines.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank wannawander2
Detroit, Michigan
“Outstanding Place To Dine”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My daughter first turned us onto this place for an all-you-can-eat snow crab dinner. It was top quality crab all the way. Big, thick legs perfectly reheated (snow crab always comes cooked and frozen) with just the right amount of salt. The only thing that was slightly irritating was that the crab was placed on top of smashed potatoes and veggies which made for messy eating.

Watching food come out to other diners I realized that J. Baldwin's was a lot more than just a place that lures people in for all-you-can-eat crab from time to time.

On our last visit it was just my wife and myself and we started with an order of fried calamari. It was out of this world in a lemon butter broth. We almost started with some wild mushroom soup. It's fabulous here.

For my main course I ordered something J. Baldwin's is famous for - crab cakes. They are some of the best in the Midwest and in fact, I'd challenge somebody from Baltimore not to like them. They're that good. My wife on this evening got a Rib Eye steak cooked very rare and as always, it was great. Their steaks come from aged Angus beef.

I can't say enough about this place. They offer very great burgers and some very nicely done custom pizzas and even some low carb entrees for those sticking to the Atkins diet.

I also love what they do for kids. As you are seated, your kids are each given some raw dough and encouraged to mold it into something like an animal, tree, whatever. The dough is then baked in the kitchen and returned to the children.

Kids love dessert here. It comes to the table like a painter's board with ice cream and three separate sauces plus sprinkles, etc.

I don't think they offer all-you-can-eat crab anymore. But I'm just glad that it was that offering that brought my daughter and then us into J. Baldwin's. I haven't sampled everything on the menu but I'm working on it!

Make reservations or get here early on Friday and Saturday night. People love this place and it fills up quickly. If I had one complaint it would be that the tables are pretty close together and it does get loud.

The restaurant is not a piece of cake to find. It's in a small strip mall behind a Sunoco gas station. You know a restaurant is great when it packs in patrons in a somewhat obscure location.

Chef Jeff Baldwin offers cooking classes from time to time during week nights. My daughter has taken a few and loved them. However because I'm up at 2:30 each morning for my job, staying out late on week nights is taboo!

• Visited January 2012